SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P226
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P226 Login/Join 
posted
Hello,I have an older P226,the slide is marked made in Germany and has Haymarket Va markings on it.Has internal extractor.Shoots very well,my question is what are the pros and cons of the internal extractors verses the later models?Thanks for any advice.

Posts: 95 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: July 26, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Haymarket Va

Wow, never heard of this on a SIG. What is the name of the importer?
Bottom line is both work just fine. Just different ways the slides are constructed. And, the current long external extractors on most SIGs are more cost effective and easier to make.

Q

Posts: 26493 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oops,misread the markings meant to write Herndon Va.sorry my bad.

Posts: 95 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: July 26, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Man, you really need new glasses. Big Grin
Herndon, VA means your SIG has "Made In W. Germany" on the slide, and SIGARMS was the importer..

Q

Posts: 26493 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Rest assured. You have one of the best pistols ever made.

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 12131:
Man, you really need new glasses. Big Grin
Herndon, VA means your SIG has "Made In W. Germany" on the slide, and SIGARMS was the importer..[/QTUOTE]Thank You all for the replies,and yes I DO need new glasses LOL

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Glad you enjoy your 226, a lot of us here have, and enjoy them. What year is yours?

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Herndon-marked pistols are post Tysons Corner and pre Exeter. The Herndon stamp is limIted to pistols from 1988 and 1989 IIRC.

Posts: 107740 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Most Herndon guns are 1988 and 1989, but the Herndon stamp is also on the late 1987 and early 1990 SIGs, the years SIGARMS HQ moved.

Q

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum!

The P226 that you have would be a welcome addition to any collection.

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Internal extractor as that within the breech block of a folded slide or internal extractor as in an early milled stainless slide? I assume the former given the likely age?

Regardless, a great vintage of a great model. You can refer to the sticky at the top of this pistol folder to learn how to “date” your 226.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
There were no one piece slide P226s in the late 1980s. The one piece slide for the P226 was introduced for the .40 S&W and 357 SIG chamberings of the pistol and IIRC, that wasn't until 1996.

posted Hide Post
I just got this 226 on tuesday.This was left to me in a will from a dear friend that passed.Stupid question but can I shoot the hell out of it like my other pistols Beretta Colt Glock without fear of damage?Just curious.Thank You

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yes, shoot it like any other guns. The only caution is not to shoot "too much" +P in it. Occasional +P is fine, but you don't want to feed it like that every single time you go to the range. Keep it properly lubricated, and it will serve you well for a long long time.

Q

posted Hide Post
I will be running 124gr Nato rounds thru this.Thank You all.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
9x19mm NATO ammo is loaded to +P pressure. You should go a bit easy with that stuff in an early P226 such as yours.

posted Hide Post
Thank You Parabellum,I will heed that advise,Do not want to beat the heck out of it.

posted Hide Post
Very interesting. I have a P226 Made in W. Germany with a Exeter stamp on it.I have never shot Plus P ammo through it. I will add it to my list of other pistols that I keep Plus P out of. I do think the Winchester NATO might be okay. It is my understanding it is not really up to Plus P power.
I have a stash of that. And that MEM German stuff that was available some time ago.
John !

Posts: 113 | Registered: April 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Also make sure the frame rails are well lubed. Grease is best IMO.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3227 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post