SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Zev Glock shooting way off....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zev Glock shooting way off.... Login/Join 
with a hair trigger
Picture of alou
posted
So I've had a Zev Spartan Z19 for a while but never really messed with it much. Last week I decided I wanted to carry it so I started to put rounds through it. I have 4 stock Glocks and they all shoot pretty much dead on with the rear sight centered on the slide. I am a decent shooter and my requirement for a carry gun is that it must be able to put 5 rounds in a quarter sized hole (preferably nickel sized) at 7 yards. While the Zev's accuracy is on par with my stock Glocks (not remarkably better), it consistently shot left of POI. I had to drift the sights right quite a bit. This can't be normal for an expensive gun like ZEV right? Is something off internally? I know it's not me because this is the only gun that shoots this way. Am I wrong for wanting a $1,500 custom Glock to shoot like a $450 one?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: alou,

Posts: 596 | Location: Houston, TX USA | Registered: August 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recenter the sights and have someone else shoot it.

Also what trigger is in it? You might need to adjust your finger if you're used to Glock triggers and the Zev one is different

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
with a hair trigger
Picture of alou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phelen_Kell:
Recenter the sights and have someone else shoot it.

Also what trigger is in it? You might need to adjust your finger if you're used to Glock triggers and the Zev one is different

Sorry, I forgot to mention, myself and 2 other firearm instructors all shot left with this gun (before the sights were drifted as seen in the picture). This gun has a Zev trigger. It doesn't break much different than my stock or other Zev trigger. While it is not a trigger I would write home to Mom about, there is no way this trigger is so horrendous that it throws my shots 1.5 inches off target.

Posts: 596 | Location: Houston, TX USA | Registered: August 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I guess start putting the factory parts back in until it shoots properly.
How does one even get a Glock up to the $1500 mark? Eek

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
with a hair trigger
Picture of alou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I guess start putting the factory parts back in until it shoots properly.
How does one even get a Glock up to the $1500 mark? Eek

From all the replies, 3 things could possibly cause this issue: barrel, slide, or locking block with most saying it's likely the locking block, which is also the only factory part.

This gun is definitely not worth $1,500, at least not in the performance department. But I wanted a Gucci Glock for my collection so that's how I justified it. Big Grin

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I am not a Glock authority, but I don’t understand why the factory locking block that has been produced in its millions is likely the cause of the problem. Plus, I’m not even clear on how that part could cause the barrel to be misaligned with the slide, even if defective.

Assuming it is a parts issue, what if the barrel wasn’t aligned properly with the slide? I also wonder about the muzzle brake. It seems less likely, but have you tried firing the gun without the brake attached? We understandably assume that expensive custom parts cannot be at fault, but as someone once pointed out, “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

If the gun is truly shooting far left and requires that much sight adjustment, something must be causing it, and there aren’t too many possibilities.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47400 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The brake could be suspect as sigfreund implies. Check to see that it mounted squarely. Is the barrel ported?

One thing you may want to try is getting a bore sight laser and screwing it in against the brake, and then try it with the barrel only.

If you have access to a high speed camera, record it firing at night. If the brake is unbalanced, it will be apparent on the video.

Custom Glocks are fun. My 'Glock' has a magazine tube from Glock, thats it. I also have a 1911 that isn't made by Colt so...

Posts: 9147 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
with a hair trigger
Picture of alou
posted Hide Post
Yes, I will definitely be eliminating the suspected culprits one by one. The Comp is flush with the slide and I wasn’t aware even a misaligned Comp could cause a round to veer off.

posted Hide Post
I concur with the Comp being the problem.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16072 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Put a stock slide and barrel on it and see if it shoots left. That should diagnose the locking block.
Put it in a mechanical rest and shoot it. That should diagnose if it is grip or trigger inputs.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
If you bought the gun from Zev, ask them about it. They should be able to help?

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
For that price they'd darned well better help!

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry that you are having issues with your handgun, in the past I had same issues with one of my G34's and in my case it was the barrel. I replaced the barrel and the issue went away.

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
A bad barrel crown can also cause this.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried it from a decent rest?

I know, we are all too good of a shot to have to do that.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
with a hair trigger
Picture of alou
posted Hide Post
I'm fairly certain it's not user induced. 2 firearms instructors from HPD shot the same POI with it.

I doubt Zev will be of much help. When I first got the gun the slide was burnt bronze color instead of black. I sent it back and they said it was normal. They told me to oil the slide to make it look darker. I wasn't too happy with that solution. I bought a black gun, not a bronze gun that needed to be oiled up to look black. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a bunch of similar slides to argue with them.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
If you've got another G19 barrel, now's the time to put it to use and see how that thing shoots with that.

I do get how folks like to modify and tart up a butt-boring gun like the Glock, but it's also the most straightforward way to render a reliable and usable design into something very much less so. I understand doing things to improve the gun (like accuracy or reliability, or to improve one's grip purchase), but changes made for the sake of change doesn't hold any water with me. And as much as I like ZEV triggers, just about everything else they do is mere convolution for the sake of building a business model out of nothing of redeeming value.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
I have seen more than one glock that shot left due to a locking block being out of spec.

The locking blocks are MIM parts, and I are mass produced, and I doubt have high QC.

It doesn't take much to knock the POA/POI off.

Check the take down lever, specifically the notch that locks the barrel in. It should have a nice even mark across it. If it is worn more on one side than the other, then it is either the barrel to slide lockup, of the locking block.

Try a factory glock barrel, and see where you are. If it still hits left, then I would swap the locking block.

I am here locally in Houston, and I have a few 19 locking blocks that I have, that I know are squared.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
with a hair trigger
Picture of alou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
If you've got another G19 barrel, now's the time to put it to use and see how that thing shoots with that.

I do get how folks like to modify and tart up a butt-boring gun like the Glock, but it's also the most straightforward way to render a reliable and usable design into something very much less so. I understand doing things to improve the gun (like accuracy or reliability, or to improve one's grip purchase), but changes made for the sake of change doesn't hold any water with me. And as much as I like ZEV triggers, just about everything else they do is mere convolution for the sake of building a business model out of nothing of redeeming value.

I agree with you for the most part. I just wanted a Gucci Glock for poops and giggles. Big Grin

with a hair trigger
Picture of alou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texaspoff:

I am here locally in Houston, and I have a few 19 locking blocks that I have, that I know are squared.

TXPO

When I eventually have time to start testing and the evidence points to the locking block, may I hit you up and maybe meet you at a range of your convenience to confirm the diagnosis? What part of Houston are you at?