SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1999 German P229 Sport AI20527 — 229-40-SC case / .357 Sport + .40 Stainless upper
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
1999 German P229 Sport AI20527 — 229-40-SC case / .357 Sport + .40 Stainless upper Login/Join 
Junior Member
posted
I am trying to document an unusual early P229 Sport, serial AI20527. The German receiver and P229 S Sport slide are both numbered AI20527 and the .357 SIG Sport assembly carries German proofing. The serial-matched original SIGARMS case, however, is labeled 229-40-SC / P229-40, ALL STEEL, WHITE, and the package contains a separate non-serialized Exeter-marked P229 Stainless .40 S&W upper.

The package also contains the German Sport compensator, German-made Sport magazine with aluminum base, German Sport instructions/tools, a U.S. SIGARMS manual dated 6/1/00, and a signed SIGARMS QC tag.

I noticed the SIGforum serial database contains an AI12XXX P229 from 10/98 with box code E29-40-SP. Does anyone know what SP and especially SC meant in SIGARMS' late-1990s product coding?

Has anyone seen another 229-40-SC case, or documentation showing SIGARMS combining a German P229 Sport .357 with a U.S. P229 Stainless .40 upper?

I'm particularly interested in original catalogs, dealer price sheets, box labels, or another AI-prefix Sport.
 
Posts: 4 | Registered: August 30, 2026Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I cant help but it sounds like a really special pistol...lets see it!!!!!!

and welcome to the Forum!!
 
Posts: 8319 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
This sounds pretty neat. Definitely post some photos.


________________________________________

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
 
Posts: 18838 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
What I gathered from internet search is the following.

SC = Sport Combo

And this was a limited run of 230 in 2001.

Regarding
quote:
labeled 229-40-SC / P229-40

It’s obviously a labeling error. They probably meant to print “229-.357-SC / P229-40”. SIG has on occasion released products with errors on the labels. I had two such cases, a 1989 P228 with a .45 caliber on the label, and an all stainless no rail P226 with “226R” on the label.


Btw, SP = Special Configuration in SIG USA’s nomenclature.



Welcome to the forum.


Q






 
Posts: 31438 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Junior Member
posted Hide Post
Here are the pics.





 
Posts: 4 | Registered: August 30, 2026Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
It certainly could be a labeling error on SIG's part, BUT...

Is this a Triple S/N pistol? Do only complete pistols get proof/date codes? If not, it's possible that the .357 SIG Barrel just happens to be assembled in the Serialized Slide and this 'could' be a .40 S&W P229 Sport. Those Barrels would have the same external dimensions and should be interchangeable. As such, the Upper Receiver could be assembled with either of those P229 Barrels.

ETA - Just as a side note, I have a 1999 'KK' P245 and the only part with an S/N is the Frame, and the only part with a 'KK' proof/date code is the Barrel.

Something else to add as a side note - I purchased an HK factory Threaded Barrel for a full size HK USP in 9mm, and it has a 'BC' proof/date code, so there's that.

Duh - Of course, a bit more research on how one would assemble the P229 Sport with the Compensator, reveals that the Barrel is apparently extended over the standard barrel length, and there's two distinct configurations of this Pistol. Sooo yup, this would seem to be a confirmed labeling error on SIG's part! Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nhracecraft,


____________________________________________________________

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 47....Making America Great Again!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!
 
Posts: 11249 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
These are what I grabbed from the internet search and saved. Serial number AI20499 (only 28 from yours). Identical combo to yours, with document letter from SIG CS in NH. The .357 complete gun was German made and proofed in 1999 (KK). The .40 upper has no German proof marks/date code because it was made in NH. Also note that "P" inside the circle on the .40 barrel locking lug. That's another tell of a NH made product. The gun was imported by SIG NH, and they released the combo package in 2001 as noted in the letter. There is no reason to think that yours is not from this limited release.





Q






 
Posts: 31438 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have one. Haven’t played with it since 2003ish.
 
Posts: 408 | Location: North Coast | Registered: October 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
The old Sig Sport pistols are awesome. Generally speaking, the P229 variant is the most common. Mine is just 357 Sig, however.

The P220 Sport and P226 Sport are 45 and 9mm, respectively.




 
Posts: 1685 | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1999 German P229 Sport AI20527 — 229-40-SC case / .357 Sport + .40 Stainless upper

© SIGforum 2026