SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Help me remove this corrosion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me remove this corrosion Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
Stainless frame, not pitted but raised. Brass brush? Hoppes? Scotch pad?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
0000 steel wool and some light machine oil.

Posts: 3593 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, very fine steel wool & thin oil to remove it.

Posts: 828 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I prefer bronze wool and light oil vs. 0000 steel wool.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRBTX:
0000 steel wool and some light machine oil.

That's what I'd use.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Its grip finish. Definately bronze wool or brush. No steel as the tiny particals will embed and cause you rust. Its the wood finish from Elite wood grips.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Its grip finish. Definately bronze wool or brush. No steel as the tiny particals will embed and cause you rust. Its the wood finish from Elite wood grips.

Thanks David, and yes, some oil or something turned the backside of the grips to crud in some spots.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Front strap checkering needs a lil attention too. A lil fuzz in it.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need to buy a Carding Brush from Brownell's--If the bristles are soft enough to card just-outta'-the-tank Bluing with, used with a little restraint, it will not hurt your Sig...HTH

Posts: 645 | Location: Griffin, GA, USA | Registered: November 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have several of those hand carding brushes - I call them Wire Toothbrushes - and use them on a lot of places.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Try Mr Clean Magic Erasers, these little white pads take stuff off that I would never think would come off and they dont mark things up either.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I don't own any SIG pistols with aluminum frames. All of mine are stainless frame models, so I have plenty of first hand experience.
When removing the crud/grip finish/rust from the stainless steel pistol frame, it will usually still show some remaining surface discoloration where the crud/grip finish/rust was located.
As David Lee mentioned, using steel wool will embed small steel wool particles into the surface of the stainless steel pistol frame.
The steel particles WILL rust.
I have found that using stainless steel wool and oil cleans up the surface the best.
Any embedded particles of stainless steel wool remaining are much less prone to rusting.
It's easily sourced from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Stainle...g/dp/B01NCQCPOI?th=1

Coarse, Medium, and Fine, or an assortment of all three grades.
Finish the job with a light touch using a red 3M Scotch Brite pad in a random orbital pattern.
All traces of the crud/grip finish/light surface rust will be gone.

Another item for consideration is that most things made from stainless steel are placed in a chemical bath after they are manufactured. (passivation)
Elemental iron is removed chemically from the surface, leaving nickel and chromium exposed on the surface.
This isn't usually performed in the field and would require stripping all parts from the frame.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1532 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try some Flitz and 000 or 0000 steel wool.

Posts: 141 | Registered: June 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Any kind of steel or stainless steel wool will take down your bead blasted finish to a satin. It will no longer match. Try the bronze brush and if that doesn't clean it up good, find a local shop that has a sand blaster.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
start easy,

wet with your favorite oil (hopped, kroil, whatever) and let it set a moment, and try to rub it off with a rag,

then a nylon brush,

if it is that hard, then 0000 and oil or use a brass punch and scrape it off easily

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try some Coca Cola, it will remove the corrosion via chemical reaction. Drip a little on the surface corrosion and let it sit a bit, it will eat the corrosion. Then take off with some alcohol. Don’t use steel wool, it can impregnate the steel frame surface and cause more corrosion. You can try a fine non metal scotchbrite pad possibly.

Posts: 268 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's a stainless steel frame, how about trying some stainless steel cleaner and a nylon toothbrush?

Posts: 266 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
If anyone around Myrtle Beach needs to passivate some stainless, let me know. (It’s a regular part of cleaning a dairy line)

For the ChiCom stainless trim we run into, we usually use Sheila Shine to clean up the rust and prevent more from forming.

If it’s real junk, we have to use Barkeep’s Friend Polish to get the rust off, then the Sheila shine as a protection layer.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely bronze wool instead of steel wool. It's amazing at pulling the rust off without damaging the finish.

Posts: 27 | Location: Loveland, CO | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post