SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Replace My G34 With... A Staccato R? Update: It's Done!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replace My G34 With... A Staccato R? Update: It's Done! Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Did some window-shopping at my favorite LGS' yesterday. One of them had a Staccato R. While it's not a "race gun," per se, but more a duty gun with race gun ambitions, it does pretty much check all the boxes--save one.

Advantages: Staccato build quality. Single-stack means it feels close to my other 1911s. 5 in. barrel. Feels good in hand. Excellent trigger. (Maybe could be lightened a touch.) Integral mag well funnel. Takes standard 9mm 1911 mags. Within my budget--barely. Makes weight and size for IDPA ESP division--in case I should ever be so inclined.

Disadvantages: Single-stack. Expensive.

As y'all can tell: I'm a bit conflicted on this one. One of its main advantages is, at the same time, one of its main disadvantages: It being a single-stack.

Didn't see anything else in a 1911 that called to me.

I fondled a CZ TS 2. The only thing I liked about it was the grip. Hated everything else. Slide was impossible to rack the way I like w/o my fingers dragging across the ejection port. Mushy safety. Serious trigger creep. Heavy. Did not like at all.

Went back to the store today. Couldn't pull the trigger. Now I'm thinking I should have. Five minutes from now I may change my mind again.

Boy, those Staccato's sure do come with nice one-gun pistol bags.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Did some window-shopping at my favorite LGS' yesterday. One of them had a Staccato R. While it's not a "race gun," per se, but more a duty gun with race gun ambitions, it does pretty much check all the boxes--save one.

Advantages: Staccato build quality. Single-stack means it feels close to my other 1911s. 5 in. barrel. Feels good in hand. Excellent trigger. (Maybe could be lightened a touch.) Integral mag well funnel. Takes standard 9mm 1911 mags. Within my budget--barely. Makes weight and size for IDPA ESP division--in case I should ever be so inclined.

Disadvantages: Single-stack. Expensive.

As y'all can tell: I'm a bit conflicted on this one. One of its main advantages is, at the same time, one of its main disadvantages: It being a single-stack.

Didn't see anything else in a 1911 that called to me.

I fondled a CZ TS 2. The only thing I liked about it was the grip. Hated everything else. Slide was impossible to rack the way I like w/o my fingers dragging across the ejection port. Mushy safety. Serious trigger creep. Heavy. Did not like at all.

Went back to the store today. Couldn't pull the trigger. Now I'm thinking I should have. Five minutes from now I may change my mind again.

Boy, those Staccato's sure do come with nice one-gun pistol bags.

Go back and get it.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
Go back and get it.

That seems pretty straight-forward Smile

Mind sharing your reasoning? Or is it simply "New gun? I don't understand the question."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Because Jones hit the nail on the head, you want the Staccato, they have one at your LGS (which is not typical, least not in my parts), so get it. If that thing scratches you where you itch, just get it already. It's within your budget, so what's the problem?

NRA Life Member

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Staccato XL has great build quality, out of the box with a 2.5 lbs trigger, racks like butter, came with 3 shinny mags and, came within a nice bag that even Barbie would envy..

It's very accurate whether with iron sites or the Holosun I now have on it.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigseller2000
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a Staccato P, a terrible impulse purchase. Terrible because it is freaking awesome! It is almost shooting into the same hole for an entire mag and that's not me, it is the pistol. The bad news is now I really want a Staccato C, so do I buy both (duh) or sell the P? My firearms bill this month is slightly outrageous as I have also purchased a Beretta 92 and an A400 Upland! Get the staccato, or reach out to me, I'll sell you mine in your price range. It has a whopping 34 rounds through it. Either way, you will be happy with a staccato.

Posts: 782 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Because Jones hit the nail on the head, you want the Staccato, ...

And it turned out he was right.

quote:
... they have one at your LGS (which is not typical, least not in my parts), ...

Apparently not typical here, either. That part hadn't occurred to me, but it's only the one LGS, of the several I have more-or-less nearby, that carries any STI/Staccato stock.

quote:
... so get it. If that thing scratches you where you itch, just get it already. It's within your budget, so what's the problem?

Nobody ever accused me of under-thinking a problem or decision Big Grin

That "so what's the problem?" at first offended me, but then it got me to thinking: "What is the problem?" And, truth was: There was no problem.

This morning I woke up deciding I was going to get it, and so...

I want to thank you for nudging me off the dime, Mike

quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
My Staccato XL has great build quality...

The build quality is unmistakable.

Funny story: I'll sometimes show my wife guns I'm looking at and she'll reply "That's sharp. I like that." or "That's ugly. I don't like that." I told her "You probably won't like this one."

She looked it it and said "That looks wicked." Then, after I cleared it, picked it up and looked it over carefully. "This is very well-made."

And she's not even a gun girl. (Except for her 20 ga. O/U.)

quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
... and, came within a nice bag that even Barbie would envy..

You can say that again! I was remarking to my sales guy at the fun store what a shame it was it'd probably never be used. Exception: When the range bag is otherwise fully-loaded and the R is coming along.

sigseller2000, thanks for the report. And thanks for the offer, but I got 'er done Smile

Thanks, everybody, for your input!

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice! Now go shoot that thing and give us a range report! Big Grin

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigseller2000
posted Hide Post
Congrats and definitely shoot it! Prepare to be amazed

Posts: 782 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Alright, now we're talking!

Congrats! Shoot the hell out of it!

NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
Congrats. I say if you can afford it, then get it. Nothing will scratch the itch until you get the one you want.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys Smile

Hope to get to the range with it this coming week. Might be next week, though.

Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Good grief, that’s beautiful!! My buddy has a C2 and I made the mistake of trying it out. He carries it on-duty.

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
You are going to love it. I have the XC and it is stellar.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
#badass

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stacatto R is a very nice gun that was rightly discontinued. Stacatto has no reason to keep building them. https://youtu.be/xk1H_lcW2o0

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys! Smile

quote:
Originally posted by mlazarus:
Stacatto R is a very nice gun that was rightly discontinued. Stacatto has no reason to keep building them.

I understand why they discontinued them. In fact the guy at my LGS, when I asked if the one under the counter was the only one they had, replied "Yes, but I wouldn't worry about it. That pistol's been there quite a while. Most people that come in looking for a Staccato want double-stack."

While a double-stack might have been nice, an advantage to this one is it grips a like my 1911s. If I do choose to try some pistol action shooting of some type, I'll be using a pistol much like my carry pistols--incl. the same loading capacity.

posted Hide Post
quote:
While a double-stack might have been nice, an advantage to this one is it grips a like my 1911s. If I do choose to try some pistol action shooting of some type, I'll be using a pistol much like my carry pistols--incl. the same loading capacity.

I agree with this idea. I'll admit to owning several 1911 pattern guns, and carried one for work for many years. The 1911 in 9mm was an awesome ESP, or Single Stack gun. Cheap, zero recoil and fun. The buying market agrees with us. Currently more 1911 are sold in 9mm than .45 ACP.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Ok, so having watched that video review, now I'm curious. I didn't realize it was a polymer frame. In the video it looks like that grip is really wide...like wide enough to accommodate a double-stack mag. Is that just the perspective looking up the magwell in the video, or is the whole grip really that wide? I've got no problem with a single-stack...but I'd want the slim grip profile to go with it.

Either way, still a sweet looking pistol!

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Ok, so having watched that video review, now I'm curious. I didn't realize it was a polymer frame.

He misspoke in that video. It's a polymer grip module, but the frame is steel.

quote:
In the video it looks like that grip is really wide...like wide enough to accommodate a double-stack mag. Is that just the perspective looking up the magwell in the video, ...

Grip is about the same as any (single-stack) 1911. It does have a built-in mag funnel. Maybe what's fooling you?

Staccato video on the Staccato R: Staccato Notes #4: Staccato R

quote:
Either way, still a sweet looking pistol!

Thanks!