SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Romeo X - I Think Sig Is Figuring Out This Optics Game
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Romeo X - I Think Sig Is Figuring Out This Optics Game Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
The ROMEO-M17 uses the sights that come with the gun. They unscrew from the bottom of the slide and attach the same way.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4203 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 3ACR_Scout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I didn't catch that the first time through (couldn't watch the video, just looked on Sigs site), but you are absolutely correct. The design makes it look like a closed emitter optic, but it's actually not. Why would they do that?

It seems pretty straightforward to me - there’s not enough room between the front edge of the optic cutout and the mounting screws for them to fit a closed emitter housing. With the way the M17 optic mounting system is designed, they were able to use the entire length of the optic cutout for the ROMEO-M17 closed emitter housing, because the optic (and cover plate) mounts with a single screw under the rear iron sight. With the commercial mounting system, about half the cutout length becomes unusable because of the two mounting screws, unless they introduce a capstan screw system like the new Trijicon RCR.

It’s kind of ironic, because the older XSeries optic system that SIG is phasing out, which uses two screws that insert from underneath to secure the mounting plate, has more potential for translating the ROMEO-M17 into a commercial optic. I think there enough room on either side of the elevation adjustment dial on the ROMEO-M17 for them to have two mounting screws secure it from underneath. It could use the same two screw locations that secure the optic plate on the older system. This wouldn’t be ideal, because there would only be a short portion of each screw to anchor the optic and withstand recoil, but it may work.

quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
I want a Romeo M17 in black that fits the commercial models. That's because I am partial to the M17 Bravo from a few years back.

I'm fairly sure Sig will make one for the commercial M17/M18 bolt pattern but it's less likely it will be offered in black.

I’m really hoping they’ll introduce a commercial ROMEO-M17 using a mounting system with the two screws from underneath like I described above, if it’s possible. If they figure that part out, I don’t think offering it in both Coyote and black is that big a deal. There are plenty of XSeries pistols with the older mounting system (XCarry, XCompact, etc.), in addition to the P320-M17 and M18 Bravo, to warrant a black version.

quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
With the RomeoM17, can anyone verify that it has tritium night sights built into the rear sight portion of the optic? I can't find any documentation to support it, but that's what it looks like to me.

As mentioned in the previous post, the ROMEO-M17 reuses the rear iron sight from the military M17 to secure the optic. You unscrew the rear sight from the optic plate and move it to the optic, then secure it to the slide with the same screw. Note that the military M17 has a shorter length rear sight housing, using a single mounting screw in the middle of the rear sight, while the commercial P320-M17 uses two mounting screws under the part of the longer rear sight that overlaps with the optic cover plate. Military version on top, commercial on bottom:

EDIT: Apologies for the oversized photos, I thought it would resize them to fit the normal forum width.

"We are being slaughtered."

- Unidentified Insurgent, Operation Restoring Rights, Tall Afar, Iraq, September 2005

Posts: 128 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I am definitely interested in getting the RomeoX for the RMSc footprint. I already have the Shield on my 43X but the Romeo appears to be the superior MRD.

Posts: 12 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 12, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Geoff40
posted Hide Post
Even if you can walk in to the Sig Experience Center, looking for the Romeo-X, it is not in stock. They can’t make them fast enough yet. They have one on a P365XL at the indoor range though, so if you’re like me and live an hour away and want some hands-on with one, it’s there to rent. 2 thumbs up says me.

Geoff. Since 1960
-NRA member-

Posts: 1 | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 3ACR_Scout:
It seems pretty straightforward to me - there’s not enough room between the front edge of the optic cutout and the mounting screws for them to fit a closed emitter housing.

I might accept that had Holosun not developed an enclosed emitter for the RMSc footprint in the EPS and EPS Carry.

Posts: 5166 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 3ACR_Scout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
quote:
Originally posted by 3ACR_Scout:
It seems pretty straightforward to me - there’s not enough room between the front edge of the optic cutout and the mounting screws for them to fit a closed emitter housing.

I might accept that had Holosun not developed an enclosed emitter for the RMSc footprint in the EPS and EPS Carry.

What I meant is that for their particular enclosed emitter optic design, they haven’t been able to translate it into a shorter housing that would fit in that space. We’re talking about taking the ROMEO-M17 closed emitter design and cutting it in half, and achieving the same results. It looks to me like SIG hasn’t worked that out yet. I hope they do bring out a fully enclosed optic based on the ROMEO-M17 soon that can fit in the footprint they’re working with.

"We are being slaughtered."

- Unidentified Insurgent, Operation Restoring Rights, Tall Afar, Iraq, September 2005

Posts: 128 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
quote:
Holosun is producing direct mount optics for many factory optic cuts (Glock MOS, S&W M&P CORE, Walther PDP, HK VP9, and imminently the P320/DPP)...
Pretty sure that they've already been shipping the SCS 320 to authorized dealers. A lot of place online are currently out, but I did find a couple of places a couple of weeks ago that claim to have them at the time in stock. Even though the SCS is thoroughly made in the PRC, the P320 version of the SCS is enclosed, unlike the exposed emitter SCS examples that were designed for other gun models. It's great that SIG is also flattening and lowering the height of the base deck of its own direct-mount RDS now as well. It's never bad to have options. And while I'm at it, it's really nice that Chinese factories have been left out of the production process this time around...except maybe perhaps the cardboard box it came in and possibly some of the paper stuff (user's guide, warranty info, etc.) that's also included in the kit.

I have one of the Glock SCS units and so far it's been a revelation to use thanks to its low deck and fitted directly to the slide of my G17 Gen5 MOS, no adapter plate needed. That pistol comes up just like any other Glock with only irons onboard. Exactly what I hated about my RMR-equipped MOS guns that require adapter mounting plates and the unavoidable raised elevation of the optic above the slide as a result. Three plus decades of shooting Glocks in an ingrained, specific manner and that has been a hard thing (for me) to readjust for.

I thought I had seen a post that they were shipping them, but I had not seen them in the wild yet.

The Holosun SCS P320 requires suppressor sights. Unlike the SCS MOS and SCS PDP, Holosun did not go the low-profile route allowing the use of normal-height sights. The SCS P320 is also an enclosed unit. I am very disappointed and $$$ lighter.

-Bob

Posts: 1 | Registered: June 18, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
I might try one for the P365 X Macro.
Given the small window, for larger guns, I’ll stick with the DPP.

Then again, the Romeo Zero Elite is a POS, so my experience with Sig red dots will likely make me wait and see.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Well the Romeo Zero was designed to be cheap and at least "Assembled in the USA" while the Romeo X versions were designed to take a beating.

Where the larger Romeo X really becomes handy is on guns you don't have suppressor height sights on. That's at least saving you about $100 in new iron sights and gunsmith fees while installing Red Dots are far easier than dealing with iron sight dovetails.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to purchasing a full-size!

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5059 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post