SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Federal's new .30 Super Carry - What The Heck Is This Thing?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal's new .30 Super Carry - What The Heck Is This Thing? Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted
So the internutz is blowing up a bit with the announcement by Federal that they're offering the .30 Super Carry and that it'll be chambered in S&W's EZ Shield first.

Not too much information, except that it'll be loaded with a 100 grain bullet and that the Smith's capacity will be 10 rounds versus 8 rounds of 9mm (so maybe not a bottleneck round?).

Has anyone heard anything more about this? My WAG is that it may turn out to be a fun little field cartridge that eventually goes nowhere because the manufacturers only treat it as a concealed-carry round. Depending on ballistics, this may be something I'd love to see in a 4" to 5" barrel.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
When we can't get enough of "standard" caliber ammo, Federal comes out with a new boutique caliber that appears to be aimed at increasing the capacity in sub compact carry guns. Color me not amused. Roll Eyes

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
When we can't get enough of "standard" caliber ammo, Federal comes out with a new boutique caliber that appears to be aimed at increasing the capacity in sub compact carry guns. Color me not amused. Roll Eyes

9mm seems pretty available now. The availability of revolver ammo still seems spotty.

The thing is everything available is pricey. With inflation taking it's bite, that may not change for quite a while.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yet another cartridge destined for the boneyard.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107472 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Not too much information, except that it'll be loaded with a 100 grain bullet and that the Smith's capacity will be 10 rounds versus 8 rounds of 9mm (so maybe not a bottleneck round?).

Not bottlenecked.

Seems like .30 Super Carry is to 9mm what .327 Federal is to .357 Magnum.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Ah. So, yeah, just about fated to be a great field cartridge that's throttled at birth by people who insist it's a compact defense pistol cartridge. Chingao.

Still, I guess it'll be at least borderline interesting to see how it compares to the .30 Luger and 7.62x25. Assuming, of course, that interesting pistols wind up getting chambered for it.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat the 7.62 x 25. Wish there was a modern handgun for that round.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1550 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^ Ah. So, yeah, just about fated to be a great field cartridge that's throttled at birth by people who insist it's a compact defense pistol cartridge. Chingao.

Still, I guess it'll be at least borderline interesting to see how it compares to the .30 Luger and 7.62x25. Assuming, of course, that interesting pistols wind up getting chambered for it.

Forgive my ignorance but what makes it a great field cartridge?

Capacity means little in the field (at least in my maybe naive brain).

What does this thing bring to the field that a .327 or 357 mag doesn't?

I'm not arguing and am just looking to learn.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
So the internutz is blowing up a bit with the announcement by Federal that they're offering the .30 Super Carry and that it'll be chambered in S&W's EZ Shield first.

Maybe the first production gun, but: Nighthawk Custom GRP 5″ NEW 30 Super Carry, IOS Cut w Trijicon RMR Plate

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The fact that you should be able to get a whole lot of them in a magazine is probably it’s only real upside. Which is fine.

Posts: 21093 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
It’s a bold move Cotton, let’s see how it works out for them. Roll Eyes

Getting more .45, .38, .357, etc. in the pipeline……crazy talk I tells ya.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7670 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
So it's a mini .30 carbine round?

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a high pressure version of the old 32 French long

Posts: 3282 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or the 7.65 used in Lugers and Broomhandles.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16063 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Not to mention the SIG P220.
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:
[W]hat makes it a great field cartridge?

I've been messing around a little bit with a .30 Luger and a 7.62x25, and am looking forward to spending more time with them as the ammunition supply improves. Something like this might be a bit more interesting as a plinking and hunting round than a .22LR if (as seems likely) the bullet is driven fast enough. In my opinion that might be a more rewarding use for the cartridge than as a defensive round in the relatively short barrel of a compact pistol.

As for the .327 and .357 magnums, I don't see it supplanting them at all. The .357 is and will forever be in a different class. On the other hand, I'm hoping that it's as close to a .327 as is reasonably possible just because I like semiautos too and the .327 has been fun to shoot - through a 5" barreled GP100.
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Maybe the first production gun, but: Nighthawk Custom GRP 5″ NEW 30 Super Carry, IOS Cut w Trijicon RMR Plate

Ahh. Somebody's gonna handload for something like that. If more full-sized pistols are chambered for it then maybe we'll see hotter loads.
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Sounds like a high pressure version of the old 32 French long

I wouldn't mind if somebody came out with something like the SACM 1935A chambered for it, only maybe with a better safety and a bit more durable finish.

posted Hide Post
Straight-wall cartridge case, unlike 7.65 Luger or 7.62 Tokarev variants. Not quite as long as .30 Carbine. Performance claimed is about like the old .32-20 (.32WCF), also a bottle-neck design, and not far off the .32 H&R Magnum or .327 Federal (rimmed cases suitable for revolvers).

Closest comparison I can offer is a .32ACP Magnum (lengthened case, greater powder capacity, higher pressures, probably too hot for blowback pistol designs, more suitable to locked-breech pistols).

Probably a loud little sucker in a compact semi-auto pistol, and even with the fairly lightweight bullet I would expect some "snappy" recoil effect.

Some folks will go for anything "new", "improved", or "super duper". You could be the first kid on your block to have one!

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So it looks like we get 9mm performance (per Federal's numbers) from a cartridge slightly thinner than 9mm.

Capacity of the Shield EZ goes from 8 to 10.
Capacity of the Shield Plus goes from 13 to 15.

We really are worshipping at the alter of Capacity these days.

That's a whole lot of effort by all involved
for that slight increase in capacity.

I wish Federal and Smith success with this but they have a huge hill to climb on this one.

Banned
posted Hide Post
If enough jump on the .30 Super it leaves more 9mm for the rest of us.

Given some engineering challenges, it may also fit in a .380 sized handgun. If Ruger offers an LCP in it, you get something like a Seecamp 9mm in performance and size. There's a market for that and male dominated forums don't see it.

16 million first time gun owners in the last two years, half women. It's notably different than commonly talked up that women will pick harder recoiling and more "difficult" to operate handguns than the classic "get them a revolver" answer. After all, we didn't suddenly see 8 million more .38's sold.

Speaking of, who's in for a moon clipped .30 Super six shot snub in stainless? Cylinder size might be close to the same as a five shot .38.

Yeah, capacity.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tirod:
If enough jump on the .30 Super it leaves more 9mm for the rest of us.

Given some engineering challenges, it may also fit in a .380 sized handgun. If Ruger offers an LCP in it, you get something like a Seecamp 9mm in performance and size. There's a market for that and male dominated forums don't see it.

16 million first time gun owners in the last two years, half women. It's notably different than commonly talked up that women will pick harder recoiling and more "difficult" to operate handguns than the classic "get them a revolver" answer. After all, we didn't suddenly see 8 million more .38's sold.

Speaking of, who's in for a moon clipped .30 Super six shot snub in stainless? Cylinder size might be close to the same as a five shot .38.

Yeah, capacity.[/QUOTE

As an unrepentant snubby aficionado, I'd love to see a lightweight six shot J frame.

I originally thought of this new cartridge as a .380 challenger. Maybe it is but it seems Federal envisions it as a direct 9mm competitor.

I thought the cartridge might be a good fit for new and/or smaller framed shooters but Federal is saying expect recoil to be equivalent to similarly powered 9mm.

We shall see.

Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Do not give a damn. I have enough logistical hassle feeding my existing established calibers.

Posts: 3142 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post