SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Smith and Wesson Model 41 appreciation, I have questions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smith and Wesson Model 41 appreciation, I have questions? Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
I have an opportunity to add a Smith and Wesson Model 41 to the collection. It looks like an early Model 41. It's in excellent condition.

It has one factory magazine included. The magazine does not drop free when the magazine release button is pressed. Is this normal? It drops about a half inch then you need to manually remove it? Is there a magazine safety similar to a Browning Hi-Power that prevents the mag from fully dropping?

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
No disconnect safety on a Model 41. You need a extra mag or 3 to evaluate if its just the one you have. The 41 is generally quite reliable so the issue is minor.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not at all uncommon or indicative of a problem. I have or previously owned multiple 41’s and they would do that. Drop free for a 22 target pistol would not be at all important.

Posts: 3293 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
As a target pistol, it is better if the mags do not fully eject.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5966 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy the S&W 41.

Buy SEVERAL extra magazines.

You'll be glad you did, Trust me on this. ;-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
When you get your 41, remove its barrel, recoil spring and guide rod. Look in the magazine well for any obstructions like caked up powder residue. See if any part of its mag catch protrudes into the magazine well when you press the mag release. Are there any rub marks on the magazine tube ? Burrs anywhere at all ? Ive never experienced the problem with 3 Model 41s and a 46. If the magazine feeds good it is still a good magazine. I made these .22 magazines many years back and rarely were any out of spec.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Strange, david, captain; sample of one, but MY M41 does have a magazine disconnector but that does not prevent the magazines from dropping free

Posts: 3288 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Thank you Jim, they do indeed have the safety. I am getting to be a old dog. There us loads of information on line of it. I dont feel it is causing the OPs magazine release/ drop issue.

Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Amazing pistol, most accurate I ever fired- with the right ammo. Mine was an early model with the cocking indicator on the back of the slide.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never really paid attention to the M41 mag release as I don't use them for any gaming/speed events so I don't care. But oddly enough I happen to be sitting within reach of a good selection of M41's. So people don't think I sleep with them I bought a new optic one and was comparing it to my older ones. In any case they all drop free no issues (unloaded mag). Sample size of 4. But even if they didn't I would not care in this type of gun.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11004 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just checked my 41. My 10 round mags drop free, the 12 round ones do not.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's odd. I thought the only difference was in the follower? which you would think wouldn't matter for this. In any case I'll go find a selection of magazines and see if I can see some pattern.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11004 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but I wonder if the newly manufactured 41's have the same level of quality as the older ones, such as the one the OP's talking about.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
You know the 41 mag release is adjustable if the mag hangs up on it inside.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6317 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Model 41 mags don't drop free either. In fact, due to the large Herrett heel rest grips I have on it, I actually have to reach a finger up inside the grip to pry the magazine out. Because this is strictly a bullseye pistol for me, this is not an issue.

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toivo:
My Model 41 mags don't drop free either. In fact, due to the large Herrett heel rest grips I have on it, I actually have to reach a finger up inside the grip to pry the magazine out. Because this is strictly a bullseye pistol for me, this is not an issue.

Same for me, but with the factory target grips. I don't mind, the mags are too expensive to risk letting them accidentally hit the ground. Speedy mag changes are simply not on my radar with this gun. It's all about slow and focus.

Mine behaves exactly as the OP describes, and mine is an older one as well. In fact, I need to look up when it was made, as I have no idea. But it has the cocking indicator and very deeply blued finish. The slide lock lever, which is highly polished and has a rich, deep blue, broke neatly the the juncture some years back and the factory replacement I got for it looks rough in comparison. I kept the original with the idea of having it spot-welded and repaired but never followed up on it. There's definitely been some changes in the level of TLC they gave these pistols over the years if this is any indicator.

Posts: 17166 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post