SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ok to rack Shield slide with safety on?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ok to rack Shield slide with safety on? Login/Join 
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted
This question popped into my head last night and I can't Google a definitive answer. If I want to load a round into the chamber of an original Shield 9mm, by racking the slide, is it ok to do so with the safety in the up, on position? Thanks.

Posts: 1273 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Have you checked/read the manual? I'd bet that if there were any issue doing so, it would be stated quite clearly in the manual, perhaps even red text! Wink

ETA - OK, I decided to check...Here's a few Bullet Points quoted from page 18 of the manual re: the Manual Thumb Safety Lever:

- This feature prevents the trigger from moving rearward when the manual thumb safety lever is in the “SAFE” position.
- The slide can still be opened and closed regardless of the position of the manual thumb safety lever.
- The magazine can be removed and installed in the pistol regardless of the position of the manual thumb safety lever.
- The pistol can be loaded and unloaded regardless of the position of the manual thumb safety lever.

The Manual can be downloaded here --> https://www.smith-wesson.com/c...rvice/owners-manuals

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9059 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I did re-read the manual but somehow missed that.

Posts: 1273 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
ETA - OK, I decided to check...Here's a few Bullet Points quoted from page 18 of the manual re: the Manual Thumb Safety Lever:

- This feature prevents the trigger from moving rearward when the manual thumb safety lever is in the “SAFE” position.
- The slide can still be opened and closed regardless of the position of the manual thumb safety lever.
- The magazine can be removed and installed in the pistol regardless of the position of the manual thumb safety lever.
- The pistol can be loaded and unloaded regardless of the position of the manual thumb safety lever.

My Sig P220 stainless elite 10mm SAO was like that, could do all of those things because the safety blocked the trigger bar rather than locking the slide. At the "load and make ready" command, I always did so with the safety engaged.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10812 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I can rack the slide of my SIG P238 with its safety in the SAFE position (if its hammer is cocked). I like that feature.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9122 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post