SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    revolver guys -- what was the go-to replacement spring kit for your S&W revolvers ??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

revolver guys -- what was the go-to replacement spring kit for your S&W revolvers ?? Login/Join 
posted
recall reading about a spring replacement kit for S&W revolvers... specifically J frames.

the factory action is a bit 'lurchy'

any recommendations are appreciated

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wilson or Apex. Have used both and zero issues and they really make the triggers nice.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've eyed the Apex kit for a few years, but my 36 gets taken out so rarely that I haven't pulled the trigger on it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I'm not a revolver guy, I believe this is a model 38 J frame?
Will the Apex kit fit in it?

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the apex kits are for the newer J’s. Not sure all the springs would be compatible with the older bodyguard series.

Should only need a good cleaning ( make sure to remove the side plate correctly !)

And shoot it.

I have been running mostly older pre lock era S&W’s for about 4 decades now and have never used a spring kit or had the need to tinker with any of them

Posts: 3271 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always used Wolff with no complaints.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I put a Wilson kit in my Model 69. It had a pretty horrible trigger out of the box, and it's the only S&W revolver I've owned that I've felt the need to change springs in. I'm typically ok with a decently heavy trigger on a revolver so long as it's smooth. This one was heavy and stacky.

The kit came with a re-contoured hammer spring and 3 rebound slide springs of different weights. The mainspring had a huge nasty burr right where it meets the hammer strut (and I mean HUGE...it looked kind of like flashing). I was able to polish that out, but it never should have left the factory like that. Only the heaviest of the rebound springs was heavy enough for positive trigger return...it's a good thing they included 3. The other 2 were way too light and produced a very slow, mushy return.

The biggest problem was that the hammer spring caused light strikes (at least one per cylinder), even on Federal primers. I fixed this by shimming the end of the strain screw with a spent large pistol primer. The trigger pull is excellent now, and I have had no more light strikes in about 200 rounds, but I'm keeping the original parts handy in case they start up again.

IMO they should have made the spring a little heavier to start with to ensure reliability. The best trigger in the world is worthless if the gun doesn't go bang when the hammer falls. There was a lot of room to play with between the factory spring and they one they sent me that they could have taken advantage of, but instead they erred on the side of unreliability.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:
I've always used Wolff with no complaints.

Yep, used them in a few of my revolvers. They work great.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would leave the stock mainspring in a defensive revolver. Some of the aftermarket springs will produce light strikes. If you do replace the hammer spring, it should be tested thoroughly to see that you don't get light strikes. You could, however, replace the rebound spring, and along with some judicious polishing, get a smoother and lighter trigger pull. I usually polish the rebound slide and the area where it travels in the frame. I've found a 14 lb. spring usually gives a fairly snappy return. You may go up or down one pound and test for acceptable trigger return. (The stock rebound spring is 18 lbs.) Wolf has sets of these springs in different weights. You can also lightly polish the hammer block and the area where it rides in the sideplate. Leave the hammer, trigger, and other parts alone. If you're not familiar with the internals of the Smith revolver, there are, of course, many Youtube videos on the topic. I know Jerry Miculek has a decent video.

Posts: 79 | Location: Wooster, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Wolff has been my choice in gun springs for a long time.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
I like the Wilson kits.

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Apex Duty/Carry spring kit:
https://www.apextactical.com/j...uty-carry-spring-kit

Those do make a nice bit of difference and are trivial to install. It isn't the equivalent of a trigger job, but it is a noticeable improvement.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Wolff.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by savoy6:
I would leave the stock mainspring in a defensive revolver. Some of the aftermarket springs will produce light strikes. If you do replace the hammer spring, it should be tested thoroughly to see that you don't get light strikes. You could, however, replace the rebound spring, and along with some judicious polishing, get a smoother and lighter trigger pull. I usually polish the rebound slide and the area where it travels in the frame. I've found a 14 lb. spring usually gives a fairly snappy return. You may go up or down one pound and test for acceptable trigger return. (The stock rebound spring is 18 lbs.) Wolf has sets of these springs in different weights. You can also lightly polish the hammer block and the area where it rides in the sideplate. Leave the hammer, trigger, and other parts alone. If you're not familiar with the internals of the Smith revolver, there are, of course, many Youtube videos on the topic. I know Jerry Miculek has a decent video.

This. Exactly this.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No experience with replacement springs in the J-frames.

Last year I purchased two of the Wilson Combat K-frame spring kits for my 4" Model 66 and 2" Model 64. Both revolvers are 40-plus years old, no particular problems with either. I was quite pleased with the results in both.

Ordered direct from Wilson Combat, delivered to my home for under $20 each. For anyone with experience in detail-stripping a S&W revolver the change over takes maybe 10 minutes. I spent a bit longer doing a deep cleaning of the internals to get rid of accumulated crud.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1092 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Apex Duty/Carry.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post