SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Got my slides back from Sig *two-tone goodness photos inside*
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got my slides back from Sig *two-tone goodness photos inside* Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
You know it’s a good day when you come home and this is waiting for you…

Two slides I had sent off. 13 day turnaround from door to door.

I’m no photographer so I just tried to get a photo in some sort of unobstructed light.

P229 - Odd they didn’t reinstall aftermarket sights.

P226 - Reinstalled factory sights. Must be liability and inability to easily replace if damaged.

Tried to get some up close photos of the finish, very uniform and appears to be as professional as you’d expect from the manufacturer.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6323 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Just curious, what did they charge? I have a P320 in FDE that I’d like to have re-done in black nitron and have the Sig Lites swapped out to X-Rays.

Posts: 757 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! Those are beautiful.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Those look great!

Posts: 23481 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Wow! Those look great, man!

God bless America.

Posts: 13506 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I love that color scheme so much. I had a 938 that looked like that, it was just so beautiful.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
What's SIG's excuse for not re-installing the sights on the P229? They can't give you that bullshit about them being aftermarket sights. They took them off for the work. They damn well should have put them back.

Q

Posts: 26421 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jer830:
Very nice. Just curious, what did they charge? I have a P320 in FDE that I’d like to have re-done in black nitron and have the Sig Lites swapped out to X-Rays.

Posts: 6323 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
What's SIG's excuse for not re-installing the sights on the P229? They can't give you that bullshit about them being aftermarket sights. They took them off for the work. They damn well should have put them back.

Honestly I’m a bit miffed with it too. I’m trying to come up with a legitimate reason but I’m having a hard time fabricating one that is solid enough not to shake my head a bit. I have a sight tool so it’s not a concern, but at the end of the day, WHY?

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
As far as I'm concerned, they dropped the ball on that. No legitimate excuses for it.

Q

Posts: 26421 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks OttoSig. I’m going to give them a call. I’m probably talking out of my butt, but perhaps Sig not re-installing your aftermarket sights is for liability (as in bottom feeder lawyers) bringing a lawsuit if the pistol is used in defense somewhere down the road. Welcome to the American tort system.

Posts: 757 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
That's a very reasonable rate. Were they finished in Nitron?

Posts: 2662 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which aftermarket sights are they? And are you sure that the sights installed on your refinished P226 slide were the originals? SIG could easily have replaced those with new factory SIGlite sights. Below would be my explanation as to why they would do that.

The material used for most sight bodies is generally a pretty soft (steel) alloy mixture, intentionally so as to not cause any damage to the receiving slide when being installed. As such, in the installation process, the sight material is designed be the sacrificial material as the sight is pushed into place. Because of this the sight that you originally had on the P229 may no longer have provided a snug fit in the dovetail slot(s) after they tried reinstalling them on your refinished slide, though if that were the case it would've been appropriate to provide such an EXPLANATION rather than leaving it up for conjecture by the customer. But since you did have an aftermarket set on the P229, their tech probably figured that you would want the same kind of sight on the rebooted slide so he didn't put a set of SIG sights on...I guess...plus he actually wouldn't be doing a direct SIG product swap. Again, that conjecture thing.

At our shop over the years, I've had the (mis)fortune of reinstalling a variety of recycled, transferred pistol sights on various customer guns. In fact I just did one yesterday to a customer Gen5 G19 with a TruGlo tritium/FO set. Even though the rear sight utilizes a set screw and the TruGlo designs do go on relatively easily with less resistance than Ameriglo, Trijicon, Meprolight and other comparable sets, this TruGlo sight offered noticeably less frictional resistance than whet I've experienced in the past with new, right out-of-the-package sets. I suspected that these were recycled (the telltale was that they were brought into the shop in a Ziploc sandwich baggie), but the customer swore that they were "brand new". Hmm..maybe 'new' to him...

In years past I also did this with a couple of my own guns, namely a HK USPc and a Gen4 Glock 19. Most if not all of those recycled sights pushed back on far too easily, with little "fight" (resistance) like they commonly would've put up when they were brand new. I would always warn the customer that they went on far too easily, and that I could not guarantee that they would hold windage zero as a result of live fire or even dropping the slide during dry fire. I did as much with the Gen5 G19 customer from yesterday as well, not confident at all that the threadlocked set screw would be enough to keep that rear from drifting on him. But since he was a regular, I decided not to charge him for the installation. We'll likely find out how well it (doesn't) hold...

In several of the past cases the customer subsequently came back with a new set of sights to be installed, or bought a new set out of our own inventory, after their reused set started moving around on them. As for the rest who didn't come back, I'm probably guessing that they either didn't believe me, convinced that I intentionally 'sabotaged' their old sights in order to sell them a new set of sights, or just were prepping the gun with any set of sights to have as a backup pistol or some other reason and not really seriously using the firearm after the install. Or they really DID stay in place, and my cautionary warning was just that, a warning. But that's just conjecture as well. Wink

With my own guns: for the Glock I wound up replacing the recycled Trijicon Bright & (not so) Tough three dots (Novak rear) after the 2nd or 3rd range visit because the rear sight started drifting on the G19 (they had been on my carry Gen4 G23 prior to the reuse). The Bright & Toughs on the USPc were totally out of whack elevation-wise (but I knew that going in when I first used them on another USPc; I just got used to how I had to hold the gun in order to hit where I wanted), but when they started shifting around sideways that was the final straw for them. The vials for both guns still had plenty of life left but as I was also moving away from 3-dot sights in general at the time, the inadequate fitting made it an opportune time to replace them with something more desirable.

Anyways, that's been my experience with reusing old sights. Others may have had far better results. Like I said...conjecture.

-MG

Posts: 2001 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I like the color tones

Posts: 6891 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
I like the look Smile

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! I have a 226 I'm waiting on from CCR. It should be getting close by now!

Posts: 5763 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tried to get some up close photos of the finish, very uniform and appears to be as professional as you’d expect from the manufacturer.

Nitron on stainless steel? Those came out looking great!

I've had them Nitron a stainless steel slide in the past, and was satisfied (rather than blown away) with the result. If they all look like your slides do now, I'm gonna have to stop saying "the finish may not be exactly perfect" when people ask about having SIG do that kind of refinishing.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
I had three slides redone a few years ago, 229 and 2 225's. The also threw on new night sights on one of the 225 slides. I had them back in hand in 8 DAYS! It was also 99 bucks each (plus the cost of the night sights on one) so it's good to see that they haven't increased prices.
Sig did an EXCELLENT job refinishing them.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3063 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great looking pistols, sir - and excellent photos! Silly question I ask; the barrel on the 226 looks new. Did they also refinish the barrel? If they didn't to you or anyone know if they still refinish barrels? Used to be their Custom Shop webpage had some deets and other offerings - now it is pretty sparse. Picked up a trade-in P220 and the barrel looks rough ... Frown

Posts: 432 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post