SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is the SIG Legion series worth the extra cost?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the SIG Legion series worth the extra cost? Login/Join 
Picture of Rockrivr1
posted
So I'm going back and forth on getting a new SIG and am trying to decide if I should go with the RX line or pay the extra for a legion. Currently considering the 320, 229 and 226 with the Romeo 1 optic. This will primarily be for plinking and some light competition.

The Legions are several hundred dollars more so I'm wondering if the extra cost is worth it for what you get.

Thoughts?

Posts: 59 | Location: Mendon, Massachusetts | Registered: April 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockrivr1:
So I'm going back and forth on getting a new SIG and am trying to decide if I should go with the RX line or pay the extra for a legion. Currently considering the 320, 229 and 226 with the Romeo 1 optic. This will primarily be for plinking and some light competition.

The Legions are several hundred dollars more so I'm wondering if the extra cost is worth it for what you get.

Thoughts?

This is giant question that would require many answers (or comments).
320, 229, 226 ?
These are very different designs and different sizes as well.
P320 is striker-fired with polymer frame.
P229, 226 are the classic hammer-fired series.
Asking this question tells me that you haven't done much hands-on research.
For this part of your question, I would recommend going to a range that rents pistols and try some out.

To future-proof your purchase I would only consider RXP models and Romeo1 Pro optics.
Should you decide that you want striker-fired.

The P320 X-Five Legion is a considerable upcharge over the other P320 models.
The tungsten-infused grip module accounts for much of that.
The full size X-grip is not for small hands/short fingers.

You have some research to do before you can make an educated decision.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DirectDrive:
quote:

Thoughts?

This is giant question that would require many answers (or comments).
320, 229, 226 ?
These are very different designs and different sizes as well.
P320 is striker-fired with polymer frame.
P229, 226 are the classic hammer-fired series.
Asking this question tells me that you haven't done much hands-on research.
For this part of your question, I would recommend going to a range that rents pistols and try some out.

To future-proof your purchase I would only consider RXP models and Romeo1 Pro optics.
Should you decide that you want striker-fired.

The P320 X-Five Legion is a considerable upcharge over the other P320 models.
The tungsten-infused grip module accounts for much of that added cost.
The full size X-grip is not for small hands/short fingers.

You have some research to do before you can make an educated decision.

posted Hide Post
The P320 Legion is less than the other Legions, but it's full of features that you couldn't put in a P320 for the cost. Between the TXG grip module, the trigger, X5 barrel system and full length guiderod with spring choices, as well as the optic ready slide, and the mag well, there's no way to buy the parts and do it yourself and keep it in that price point, over a regular P320. It's a really good deal.

The other Legions don't add a lot over their base models. I have the P229 and P226 Legions, and the're about like other P229's and P226's. The triggers are a bit better, and they have a light grey finish that seems to rub off easily with a little holster wear. I think they're attractive looking pistols...I don't know that I'd pay full price for them, and there are plenty around for less. Don't get me wrong, a P229 or P226 Legion is a damn good pistol no matter how you slice it. whether they're worth that much extra over any other 229 or 226 is something you'd have to decide for yourself.

The P320 Legion is definitely worth it, in my opinion.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
thats subjective...I used to think so. but the fact that they have went to a cerakote on the classics is a downgrade in mho.

The legions were made for people that wanted custom features at a production price.

I would stick with a standard model.. if I was new to shooting

Posts: 7800 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't go with a Legion if I were buying new. Used, maybe.

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
double

posted Hide Post

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I bought my mine used. They didn’t perform any different than the standard so No.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I bought my P226 Legion at full price when they first came out, so I don't think it was a good value, especially since I don't care much for XRay sights and I don't like the finish. I bought one with the PVD finish, but I don't like the cerakote finish either. My favorite P226 is a basic P226R that I bought with a military discount and sent to Robert Burke for some work. I think the P320 Legions are a better value.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I must be the only one what got a good finish on my legion, brought when they first came out. 226 DA/SA. Finish is in great shape, no blemishes or holster wear, using it for steel challenge and USPSA. Over 5,000 rounds down the tube.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bottom line is that the P-series Legions offer small upgrades at a lower cost than what it would be to add them from the aftermarket in total. Only you can decide if the upgrades are worth it, or if they are not important to you and you wouldn't get them anyway.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased my Sig P226 SAO new a few months back and think it's an excellent pistol - worth what I paid for it.

Posts: 140 | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rockrivr1
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the advice. Overall I don't have a strong opinion either way on Strike Fire against hammer, so I've taken that out of the equation. I added the 320 as an option that I'm looking at. I've held most of the handguns and to be honest just with the few minutes of holding them I can't really tell much difference except for the obvious stuff. They all felt good to the hand and seemed well balance. Just not sure if I'm ready to fork out for the Legion. This helped. Thanks again.

Posts: 59 | Location: Mendon, Massachusetts | Registered: April 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 229,226 legion is a lot of gun for “plinking” and not really a great option for competing.
If you want something with an optic I’m my opinion (and I say in my opinion meaning “ I am absolutely not an authority or any sort of expert :0) “ unless you just have a pile of money the p320 x5 or x5 legion would be a great choice. The Sig optic isn’t bad although not as tough as an rmr but for plinking and comp where your life doesn’t depend on it it’s not a bad choice. The window is huge compared to the rmr so that helps some. I like the x5 legion but one thing that made me question buying one was being unable to stipple the grip. I don’t like grip tape and the stock pattern is a little less aggressive than I would ideally like.
If your budget is around $1000 look into an EAA witness elite limited or stock 2,3 . The elite limited is smooth as glass and fun to plunk with awhile also being an out of the box respectable comp gun.

Posts: 5 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wclavelli:I like the x5 legion but one thing that made me question buying one was being unable to stipple the grip. I don’t like grip tape and the stock pattern is a little less aggressive than I would ideally like.

Actually, you can stipple the grips. Parker Mountain Machine sells stippled tungsten grips:

https://www.parkermountainmach...ule_-_Tungsten_.html

It’s $300 for the standard pattern and $500 for their aggressive pattern.

For my opinion on the Legion issue, excluding the P320 which has it’s own niche, if you’re wanting a single action only gun, the Legions are well worth it. Unless you find a great deal on a used Sig, you’re going to spend more than a Legion costs to get a trigger as good.

The DA/SA guns don’t offer as much value except for the undercut trigger guard. Changing the hammer spring to a lighter weight will get you about 90% there for maybe $20. If you’re wanting a DA/SA gun in that price range, I’m not sure you’ll do better than a CZ Shadow 2 or getting some work done to a CZ P-01 if you’re looking at something P229 size.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That three hundred that Parker Mountain Machine is asking is just for the factory grip; it's two hundred extra to get the stippling done.

Their use of a shorter slide with a comp in front is interesting.

I have what I think is the only Grayguns textured TXG grip; I was told that texturing was a risky proposition, with only one out of ten grips being any good. They happened to have one they'd successfully done, and sold it when I called. It's great.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
That three hundred that Parker Mountain Machine is asking is just for the factory grip; it's two hundred extra to get the stippling done.

I have what I think is the only Grayguns textured TXG grip; I was told that texturing was a risky proposition, with only one out of ten grips being any good. They happened to have one they'd successfully done, and sold it when I called. It's great.

I'd like to see a pic of your GG grip module.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks everyone for the advice. Overall I don't have a strong opinion either way on Strike Fire against hammer, so I've taken that out of the equation. I added the 320 as an option that I'm looking at. I've held most of the handguns and to be honest just with the few minutes of holding them I can't really tell much difference except for the obvious stuff. They all felt good to the hand and seemed well balance. Just not sure if I'm ready to fork out for the Legion. This helped. Thanks again.

Here's something to take a look at...
https://www.cdnnsports.com/cat...dir=desc&q=used+guns

I grabbed a P320 Full Size for $379 when they were in. (it was in new condition)
I see that they're down to the 40 S&W now.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Bugger, your right. So $500 all together. Here’s the picture for those interested:

As far as the comp gun in the picture, it’s like an STI Staccato XC except instead of the one piece barrel/comp, the comp is timed using shims. Here’s a review of it on YouTube:

They use to have a page where they would build you a gun with a stippled regular frame, slide with your choice of optic cut, GrayGuns trigger, XRAY 3 suppressor sights, and four 21 round magazines for $1,800 (add $200 for a stippled tungsten grip) with a 8-10 month lead time. I don’t know if they stopped because the C-Virus shot their workload to hell or they just want to make components,

Posts: 4179 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post