SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    reliability issues with G43X Shield Arms magazines?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

reliability issues with G43X Shield Arms magazines? Login/Join 
Picture of Kampfhamster
posted
Couple months ago I bought three 15 rd Shield Arms S15 magazines for my Glock 48.
At first it was really hard to get more then 13 rds loaded, but that became better after a while.

Recently I had repeated failures to feed during a class.

Does anyone else have problems with these mags, or is it just me?

The citizen watches the watchman, not the taxpayer.

Posts: 765 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't had any issues with the Shield magazines in the G43X and G48.

I'm looking forward to trying the G43 magazines.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’ve heard mostly good reviews but there are some reports of issues. One trainer said he sees them fail in pretty much every class. I had high hopes for them but have decided to stick with factory mags.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
I have Gen 1 and Gen 2 models of the Shield mags, no issues.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No issues. I use them with my G43X and have shot that 43X in a couple of matches where I'd be more prone to see issues and nothing. Functions and works flawlessly for me. As they recommend, I did replace the Glock Mag release with their metal version when I received the mags.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I have both gens. I also changed the mag catches in both my 43x and 48.

Only issue I’ve had is a couple failure to feeds with gen 2 with +5 extensions. But, they seem to have worked themselves out because I have had that issue since they were new and I first took them to the range.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I had a G43X that I ran w/ Gen 1 S15 mags. I had zero reliability problems w/ them. The only problem I had was that you have to replace your mag catch w/ a steel one. Any metal one isn't good enough. The thin mag bodies will gradually chew & tear up anything other than steel. They did to my aluminum alloy mag catch, and they are much worse to OEM polymer ones.

If you don't use a steel mag catch, then eventually it will get to the point where the catch fails to hold the mag high up enough in the well, which leads to failure-to-feed and slide lock-back issues. It can get to the point where the mag shoots out the bottom of the mag well.

Steel mag catches are rough on the polymer body Glock mags, so if you go the Shield Arms route, you have to commit to them.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kampfhamster:
Couple months ago I bought three 15 rd Shield Arms S15 magazines for my Glock 48.
At first it was really hard to get more then 13 rds loaded, but that became better after a while.

Are running a factory mag catch?

Posts: 1809 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had issues. My G43X had the Shield Arms mag catch and Gen 1 mags. Remington FMJ rounds would nose-dive. This happened about 3 times in a range day of about 150 rounds. I didn't fire any JHPs, so I can't speak to how those feed.

Three malfunctions were enough for me, and I replaced the SA mag catch with the OEM part and switched to Glock 43X OEM mags. I've since test-fired about 30 rounds with no issues. I'm just going to stick with Glock OEM mags and mag catch.

Posts: 1091 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kampfhamster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
quote:
Originally posted by Kampfhamster:

Are running a factory mag catch?

no, as recommended (and also mentioned here by others) I replaced the mag catch with the one from Shield Arms.

The citizen watches the watchman, not the taxpayer.

Posts: 765 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got about 400 rounds of various reloads through two Gen 2 Shield mags in my G43X MOS with the Shield mag catch; no problems or hiccups at all.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post