SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Arsenal Makarov Pistol
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arsenal Makarov Pistol Login/Join 
posted
Atlantic Firearms has the Arsenal Makarov Pistols P-M01 available for $500, with a holster and 2 magazines. It does not say the year produced. I wanted a Makarov for collecting and not shooting. Are these commercially produced pistols made since the fall of the Iron Curtain? Does anyone have more information on them. Thanks.

https://atlanticfirearms.com/a...al-bulgarian-makarov

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting that they have a thumbrest on the left grip panel. Usually that was done to add import points for ATF.

I would pick one up in a heartbeat at that condition, two mags, clean looking holster, and price.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Online scuttlebutt (FWIW) is that they were produced in the 2000s. Atlantic can probably tell you if you call. Most of the surplus Bulgarians I've seen have been made in the 70s and 80s, FWTW. Look around - prices may be lower elsewhere.

Here's one alternative if you don't mind later production, but "black Parkerized" rather than blued and with a base price (less taxes and shipping) of $399.99:

http://globalordnance.com/arse...s-holster-and-sling/

If you're really into collecting rather than shooting (they're fun little shooters, BTW), you might want to hold out for surplus. There are surplus Bulgarians all over the place, and there should still be quite a few Russian Baikals with the adjustable rear sight out there. You may still find the occasional "Russian Sneak" (Russian surplus sold as Bulgarian - check the markings). East Germans and Chinese are definitely worth it (the East German pistols are reputedly the best ever made, the Chinese pistols seem to be the rarest in the U.S.) but priced noticeably higher.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Makarovs are neat little guns. At one time I had surplus Russian, Chinese, Bulgarin, and East German examples as well as the commercial Russian and Russian double stack guns.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
If I hadn't purchased 2 pistols in the past few weeks, I would have purchased a Makarov somewhere.

My favorite pistol. And one of the most reliable.I used and still do,carry Makarovs as my concealed carry, never felt undergunned.

Arsenal makes good Makarovs, I've had one. But there are no bad Makarovs.
Prices on Makarov's have been increasing, but many people are really asking too much, unless it's a rare model.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sunset_Va,

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are Makarovs drop safe?

What kind holsters do you all use for CCW with these?

Posts: 525 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I currently have an Arsenal.380 Makarov purchased around New Years in 2021. I have done minimal shooting with it due to bullshit factory ammo prices and until last week acute primer shortages. So far it ate my handloads and Federal.380 ball without a problem.

The Makarov has no passive firing pin block like series 80 1911’s or just about any modern semi auto (Glock, Sig Sauer P series, etc). On another forum I did a little digging into the subject years ago and it seems the inertial firing pin of the Makarov is not prone to firing when dropped unlike the CZ-82. No poster on that forum ever reported an incident of a dropped Makarov firing. It was not exhaustive research but it made me feel better about ccw’ing a Makarov.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
I currently have an Arsenal.380 Makarov purchased around New Years in 2021. I have done minimal shooting with it due to bullshit factory ammo prices and until last week acute primer shortages. So far it ate my handloads and Federal.380 ball without a problem.

The Makarov has no passive firing pin block like series 80 1911’s or just about any modern semi auto (Glock, Sig Sauer P series, etc). On another forum I did a little digging into the subject years ago and it seems the inertial firing pin of the Makarov is not prone to firing when dropped unlike the CZ-82. No poster on that forum ever reported an incident of a dropped Makarov firing. It was not exhaustive research but it made me feel better about ccw’ing a Makarov.

That’s kind of what I found. I’m not sure if using the manual safety has any effect on drip safety.

Part of me really wants one of these, I mean I really want one. Just can’t justify it right now.

Posts: 525 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought my Makarov holster online from High Noon holsters. It's actually a CZ82 holster, but the Makarov fits in it very well.

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A dealer near me had a couple of those in. They were park'd and not finished as finely as the ones that came in years ago. I would buy one for a shooter, center console gun, winter coat pocket gun, etc.

I have two Maks. One Arsenal with beautiful high luster blue in 9mm Mak that I picked up a few years ago. The other, I bought in the 90s, when a bunch of them came into the Country packaged in a cardboard box with a holster, 2 mags, adjustable sights, and were chambered in .380. I think that it's a Baikal, IIRC. They are both snappy little pistols. I used to keep the .380 Mak in my bookbag/laptop case in a bullet-firing-machine-free-zone, a night school, that I attended many years ago that was in a bad area. I always had it at the ready when walking back to my car at 11-ish pm. They are good little guns, simple rugged design, and have certainly stood the test of time.

I hope you find a nice one, but be prepared to pay for a collector-grade, especially a Russian. They are going for nearly a grand on GB.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms.”

-Robert A Heinlein Nov. 1959

Posts: 42 | Location: Idaho | Registered: August 09, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pshooter62:
I bought my Makarov holster online from High Noon holsters. It's actually a CZ82 holster, but the Makarov fits in it very well.

I'm all for buying American, and have a couple of High Noon holsters that are serving me well.

For a Makarov, though, these are the guys I'd like to give a try -

http://www.craftholsters.com

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$500 for a Bulgarian Mak...

We own a Ruskie high capacity Mak in .380ACP(yes, a few were imported-the mag holds 12 rounds); a Bulgarian Mak in 9X18; and a relatively rare Chinese Mak chambered in 9X18. All were purchased in the 1980's; and all for <$200 per copy. My, how time and circumstances have changed the Mak market...

To us, Maks very much reflect old Soviet Block military philosophy. They are simple, robust, reliable, and easy and cheap to manufacture in huge quantities. All of ours have been 100% reliable. Other than being a bit heavy (26oz unloaded) for their relatively light caliber, we would not hesitate to carry any one of them.

We trudge on.

Posts: 123 | Registered: March 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
Originally posted by pshooter62:

I'm all for buying American, and have a couple of High Noon holsters that are serving me well.

For a Makarov, though, these are the guys I'd like to give a try -

http://www.craftholsters.com

I have 3 Craft holsters. One for my 1912 Gvt Model, IWB, one for my Makarov, IWB, and one for my Glock 22m OWB.

All are excellent quality, if the style you want is in stock, you will get it quickly from overseas. If not in stock, about a 3 week wait.

Going to order one of their holsters for my Beretta 85 soon.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post