SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Red dot optic on P320 question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red dot optic on P320 question Login/Join 
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted
I’m considering a Vortex Venom red dot for my .45acp P320 and my only consideration is either the 3 or 6 moa version. Optic will be used on handgun with little to no likelihood of rifle mounting. My range is 50ft so my shooting will mostly be within that limit. I realize I can bloom the 3 moa dot but Im thinking of going 6 moa. I am interested in your input, especially if you have used both dot sizes. Thanks.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7494 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
No experience on these but my vote is for the smaller dot.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are strong arguments for either one. I prefer a smaller dot, but there are those that prefer the larger. I don't think you can go wrong.

Posts: 5148 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Most competitive shooters use a larger dot.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It really depends on what’s important to you. Speed or accuracy. In the case of a 50ft range you want the smaller dot based on my experience with this issue.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10986 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both. One is not inherently more accurate than the other, but the smaller dot invites precision at distances greater than your 50 feet. For 25 to 50 yards I do better with iron sights, but then, I am distracted by the oscillations with the smaller dot . The 6moa allows me to transition faster.

Posts: 85 | Location: NEPA | Registered: February 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
While not a Venom, I really like the 3moa dot on the Sig Romeo 1 I have. I use it on plates at 15yds and a 25yd gong with no issues.
I've seen the larger dots on race guns, but didn't care for them personally.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
to expand on my earlier quick comment. What are you trying to do with the gun most often. If its shoot targets at 50ft or less in a mostly static environment for accuracy and practice get the smallest dot you can. If its practice speed to hit a target then you will be happier with a bigger dot. If your goal is ultimately to carry one a red dot then practice using the larger dot.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10986 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ALLEGRO1957
posted Hide Post
I have the P320C RX and use the brightness to increase (seemingly) the dot size. Smaller does lend itself to greater accuracy but larger is quicker to pick up and does not seem to bounce as much.

Now all that said, brighter just gives the sense of larger. Maybe its all in my head !?!

Be a productive citizen but always be prepared

Posts: 43 | Registered: October 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input folks. I went with the 3moa. Now I just need to find a shop to do the machining and a set of sights high enough to co-witnesss, if they make them for the Venom.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7494 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post