SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I am soooo happy.....updated
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am soooo happy.....updated Login/Join 
posted
I snagged one of the new P226 X-Five models. I could not be happier, this thing just screams "awesome". The slide feels like it is rolling on ball bearings its so smooth. I really like the upgrade to the safety, its considerably more tactile and positive than on my german X-5. It will mount both a DPP and RMR. The trigger is excellent, I havent made any adjustments yet using the adjustment screws but probably will tinker with it at some point. I will say it is HEAVY, especially with a light and optic but its very well balanced and feels great in the hand. I habe medium sized hands (size large glove) and its comfortable for me where a lot of large frame semi autos are not. Mhly only real gripe is that there is no dovetail to install a rear sight when running an optic. I find that to be a bit of an oversight on Sigs part. Accuracy is on par with any of my Nighthawk or Wilson 1911s. KT-Mech is building a holster for me since no one really offers one yet....at least I couldnt find any. It came with 3-20rd mag with extended base plates and a very nice case.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: badguybuster,

"Dyin ain't much of a livin...boy"

Posts: 317 | Location: West (By GOD) Virginia | Registered: November 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
This is great news! I’m happy to hear from someone who picked one up and has positive things to say about it. Which version did you get, wood or G10 grips? This is on my list.

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Congrats on your X-Five!

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
congratulations, have fun!!

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This one has the cocobolo grips. I would post pics but cant

Posts: 317 | Location: West (By GOD) Virginia | Registered: November 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FYI.....Kirkpatrick leather says they can also make a holster for it

posted Hide Post
That's really cool!

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple shortcomings I have noticed.

There is NO mounting plate available which means the screws holding the optic are taking all the strain which is a definite weak point.

You lose the rear sight with an optic and currently no one makes a suppressor height tritium rear sight to attach the Deltapoint.

Also when running an optic there is an exposed screw hole left open to the elements. The Sig rep.I spoke too was confused by this and is supposed to be looking into it.

The optic cut is not milled deep enough in my opinion, its very shallow causing the optic to ride very high.

An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Sig in NH should have hired some EU Mastersmiths after all...

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
Sounds like Sig in NH should have hired some EU Mastersmiths after all...

I agree....not sure what there is to be so happy about either.

Posts: 932 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
To be honest, I'm not sure how much EU Mastersmiths would've helped. On the whole it sounds like they got an awful lot of things right. The optics plate/rear sight problem strikes me as something they hadn't yet fully thought through when they designed and built the pistol, but then again SIG's approach to optic plates and rear sights still seems to be evolving a bit if recent production P365s and P320s are anything to go by.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Here is the German Allround Production Optics for comparison. I have no clue how the two stack up against each other.

https://www.all4shooters.com/e...tics-9mm-Luger-Test/

Q

Posts: 26375 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Christ on a Cracker, Q!!!
I'll be in my bunk.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
First of all, congrats. Second of all

Third of all, I found this video comparing the US X5 to a German XShort:

The main bit of difference seems to be more handfitting on the German gun while the US gets as close as possible using CNC machines, thus reducing cost.

As far as the lack of rear dovetail, since this is a competition gun, I don’t think it really matters. If this was a defensive gun, absolutely. There are companies out there like C & H Precision that sells a plate that a rear sight can be dovetailed onto or comes with a 10-8 Rear Sight already attached.

https://chpws.com/product-tag/sig-sauer/

In addition, if you get a Romeo 1 Pro or Romeo 2, the base of the optic is molded into a rear sight that will work with the front fiber optic.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was doing some tinkering today and discovered my Trijicon 1911 plate with attached rear sight is only 1/32" different from the cut made by Sig (width not lenth). Im thinking of milling hitting it with a file (the plate not the gun) amd seeing if I can make it work. That would cover the empty screw hole AND give me a co-witness rear sight.

posted Hide Post
I do, very much, like the gun (optics BS aside). Its easily the best shooting 9mm I have ever fired. It is more accurate and has less recoil than my Nighthawk Falcon 9mm and feels better in the hand than the Staccato XL I was running. I like everything about how it runs and feels, especially the safety. Its so much better than my German X5 and the external extractor is a major improvement. I truly feel like the optic cut was an after thought.

posted Hide Post
Ok, so after a bunch of back and forth AND talking with one of the Mastershop folks. We figured out that the new Trijicon M17 (commercial) mounting plate (with attached rear sight) is an exact fit and will cover the screw hole in the back. Sig is also intending to release a rear sight (eventually) wihich will mount there

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
That’s very cool. That gives me some interesting options on what to do with my P320.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just an fyi....Sig has released a suppressor height sight kit (both front and rear) for the new American 226 x-fives. I was actually sent a free trial set after nagging them for weeks on end that it needed a rear sight