SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Got Off The Fence and Bought a CZ-75 SP-01 Tactical - Updated with Range Report
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got Off The Fence and Bought a CZ-75 SP-01 Tactical - Updated with Range Report Login/Join 
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted
Picked it up today; hope to shoot it Friday. I looked at Shadow 2 Black the LGS had on sale before Christmas, but still too rich for my blood. I think the SP-01 Tactical will fulfill my intended needs and it was only a little more than half as much. I wanted a companion for my CZ-75 B Omega Convertible that would allow me to use my Mantis without an adapter. The Mantis works beautifully on my Glock 19X, but I wanted to be able to train with it on my CZ also.

Here is the obligatory pic of it in its case along with my CZ-75 B Omega Convertible:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SigFan,

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Where is the bayonet? Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26443 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Be sure to let us know how it goes at the range.

I really have the itch to buy that exact CZ. It just feels so great in the hand!!

Posts: 2552 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Where is the bayonet? Big Grin

I have to send in a coupon for that! Razz

SigFan

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
It's a great pistol...as long as you're not into staging the trigger. I've thousands of rounds through mine and that aspect of its trigger has barely improved over the past seven or eight years that I've had it. But shoot it like the service gun that it is, and it definitely 'rocks'.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wanted a SP-01 Tactical for a couple years and I finally bought one 2 weeks before Christmas. Took it out the weekend after Christmas and have to say that I absolutely love this pistol!

It was cold and breezy but I was shooting the tightest groups I've ever had with any other handgun. The smallest group was with Speer 124gr +P Gold Dots. I think you will enjoy it very much.

Posts: 80 | Registered: July 21, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I really like my SP-01s. Enjoy yours.

Take care, shoot safe.
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7686 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Love mine! Dress it up with some CGW love and it’ll get it better.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7003 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
A nice CZ has been on my wish list for a long time. Very sweet.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17293 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear so many positive comments, though not surprised. Everything I hear about these is good. I really want to get to the range this weekend and put some rounds down range. I’ll try to post something afterwards.

SigFan

Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
That one is currently number ONE on my list to buy. Congrats!

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
has CZ improved things on the "tooling mark" front? I have a CZ 75 TS that is VERY accurate with a great trigger. It looks like a beaver machined it though. Cold War, eastern block country machining and such.

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
has CZ improved things on the "tooling mark" front? I have a CZ 75 TS that is VERY accurate with a great trigger. It looks like a beaver machined it though. Cold War, eastern block country machining and such.

I will copy something I posted in a review about my SP01 that holds true to pretty much all the CZ's I have experience with. I have no experience with the higher end TSO/Shadows etc.

"FIT AND FINISH - 3 Let me describe the emotional roller coaster I have with every CZ pistol I buy. I see one in the store and it calls to me, the beautiful lines, the all metal construction, the exterior finish etc. I pick it up and it just melts into my hand and feels like it was gifted me by some tart from a European lake. I buy it, I take it home, I tear it down for its first cleaning and inspection and…………my heart drops when I see the internal finishing. Tool marks, overspray, lack of detail finishing etc. I start thinking this is going to be the one that doesn’t work. Basically most CZ’s, in my experience, on the inside look like they were put together by a bunch of near sighted Dwarves using dull, rusty hammers on a Monday morning after an ale fueled weekend. I don’t have experience with the higher end CZ offerings such as the Shadow’s and the Target Sports etc. but the production level stuff on the inside is generally rougher than the competition. Exterior is usually very good. Fitting tends to be very good it’s just the finishing where things seem to fall apart. So I go out to the range ready for this to be the one that doesn’t run and ……………… it shoots lights out and feeds anything I put in it and feels fantastic. They just ALWAYS WORK, they are always smooth, they are always accurate. Yet I am sure I will go on another emotional CZ roller coaster again in the future………only to once again fall in love with the thing. Keep in mind I might be, being a bit harsh but I am comparing against SIG and HK for example that have exemplary fit and finish in general. Hell HK metal work on some of their slides is art. So if you are a CZ fanatic don’t crucify me too. Much. I have several of them and I LOVE them, but I gotta call it like I personally see it. They would probably get a 2 if the outsides were poorly finished or if the fit was an issue but as it stands a 3."

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7686 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Th internal finishing doesn't both me on my CZ. I recognize that they are significantly cheaper than a SIG. If having to look at some tooling paths and overspray during a cleaning for a gun that's $300+ cheaper than a SIG that shoot as good if not better, I'm okay with that.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:

I will copy something I posted in a review about my SP01 that holds true to pretty much all the CZ's I have experience with. I have no experience with the higher end TSO/Shadows etc.

"FIT AND FINISH - 3 Let me describe the emotional roller coaster I have with every CZ pistol I buy. I see one in the store and it calls to me, the beautiful lines, the all metal construction, the exterior finish etc. I pick it up and it just melts into my hand and feels like it was gifted me by some tart from a European lake. I buy it, I take it home, I tear it down for its first cleaning and inspection and…………my heart drops when I see the internal finishing. Tool marks, overspray, lack of detail finishing etc. I start thinking this is going to be the one that doesn’t work. Basically most CZ’s, in my experience, on the inside look like they were put together by a bunch of near sighted Dwarves using dull, rusty hammers on a Monday morning after an ale fueled weekend. I don’t have experience with the higher end CZ offerings such as the Shadow’s and the Target Sports etc. but the production level stuff on the inside is generally rougher than the competition. Exterior is usually very good. Fitting tends to be very good it’s just the finishing where things seem to fall apart. So I go out to the range ready for this to be the one that doesn’t run and ……………… it shoots lights out and feeds anything I put in it and feels fantastic. They just ALWAYS WORK, they are always smooth, they are always accurate. Yet I am sure I will go on another emotional CZ roller coaster again in the future………only to once again fall in love with the thing. Keep in mind I might be, being a bit harsh but I am comparing against SIG and HK for example that have exemplary fit and finish in general. Hell HK metal work on some of their slides is art. So if you are a CZ fanatic don’t crucify me too. Much. I have several of them and I LOVE them, but I gotta call it like I personally see it. They would probably get a 2 if the outsides were poorly finished or if the fit was an issue but as it stands a 3."

thanks for that. I had read that CZ started using all new, CNC machines a couple years back and I wondered if they got any better.

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TENWOLVES
posted Hide Post
I have this gun, and I don't think too many really know what a great gun it is, but then they are scarce in most LGS's, congrats, on your find and buy, I think you will be as happy as I am..

P226 Scorpion, P225 A-1, P 226 SAO Legion, P229 Legion, P 22O Hunter SAO, P938, P320 full, P 320X Carry, P365 P365 XL. P365 SAS

Posts: 277 | Location: Grant Pass, Oregon | Registered: April 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I made it to the range this morning, and I am very, very happy with this firearm. The picture below show my first shots with it; the top of the target are the first 10 shots, standing, two-hands. The bottom 30 shots are seated and bench rested. I have to say I was pretty excited about shooting this thing, and I think the top target reflects my nerves. Regardless, I’m very pleased with the results.

ETA: Ammo was American Eagle 124 gr.

I won’t go into a long report, as there are many out there on this gun already, but I will restate a couple points that most people know about this gun. Recoil is very modest, due to the all-steel frame/slide, and slightly front-heavy balance. The grip feels like it was made for my hand. The sights are easy to pick up, and well-regulated right out of the box. I can’t wait to shoot it again. I’m pretty sure this will accompany me to every range trip from now on. I did shoot my G19X a little and it, too, is fantastic. But this SP-01 Tactical really feels like you’re holding something special. I would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys all-steel firearms.

SigFan

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Q

Posts: 26443 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Congrats and enjoy SigFan! CZ definitely makes great pistols. I'm really enjoying my Shadow 2 and 75 Compact. Smile

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shhh... best kept secret in DA/SA poly pistols?
CZ P07.
With apologies to the SP2022.
And I want a 97.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post