SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Stippling cerakote
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stippling cerakote Login/Join 
posted
I have a Tisas commander clone in 45acp. Not sure yet but think I may need something on front of grip to get firm hold. Since this is budget pistol thinking do it yourself solution.

Many years ago, I stippled front of GI 1911 with center punch and turned out rather well. I am thinking of doing the same with The Tisas. My concern is the cerakote finish and how it will react to getting hit with center punch. Concern it may chip, whatever. So, any experience or advise is appreciated. Thanks.

davemercer

Posts: 936 | Location: NE USA | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Talon grips makes one of their adhesive grips in a small format that covers only the front grip surface of a 1911. You can still use the grip of your choice with it. Cheap, durable, replaceable and you can remove it if need be. Or you could go old school and put Pachmayr rubber grips on it that wrap around the front grip.
Other than those suggestions, I cant be of any help as I dont know anyone who has stippled Cerakote after it has been applied.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never done it, but the thought of taking a punch to a painted finish gives me the heebie-jeebies. Even if it doesn't chip, I think you'd run the risk of punching through the cerakote and exposing the metal underneath. Cerakote finishes are only about 1 mil thick -- 1/1000 of an inch.

But I could be wrong. It has happened before ...

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Skateboard Tape?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8932 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1070531042

Checkered metal frontstrap overlay by Wilson Combat.

Posts: 26933 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would look at a skateboard tape style solution whether it's one of the prefab kits or buying actual tape and cutting it to fit. Securing the edges under the grip panels will make it virtually impossible to accidentally start peeling.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
+1 on the skakeboard tape idea.
It's what I use and $8 will give you practically a lifetime supply.

I purchases some skateboard deck tape at Academy 15+ years ago for about the same price and still have some left.

I've used it on my SA 1911's front strap, a bunch of other pistols, and even used to make my own Talon-style grips.

https://www.amazon.com/Mob-Ska...589537858&th=1&psc=1

Posts: 12543 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I like the rubberized Talon tape. I've had the grit type skateboard tape, but always concerned that the granules will come loose and be an abrasive against the finish.

Posts: 7424 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Cerakote is very flexible, it won't chip but could scratch.

Posts: 22932 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Cerakote is a paint job. Taking a center punch through it, chip, crack or whatever you want to call it, there will be damage.

Q

Posts: 26441 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I us skateboard tape on my classic Sigs and my 1911's. De-grease grip area first, make slightly under size, trim off corners to prevent them lifting. IMHO, functionally as good as checkering. Just have to replace every year or two.

Used the Wilson checkered foil and it didn't work. Kept shifting loose under the recoil. Even when the grip screws were tightened down.

I have no Cerakote pistols. Anybody know if the stuff would peel off when removing skateboard tape?

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I'll echo what YooperSigs said about Talon grips, I have Talon tape applied to the front strap of a pistol and I'm very satisfied with it.

Posts: 12184 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post