SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    modern 226 slide on 95 220 frame: 220 is .38Super.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

modern 226 slide on 95 220 frame: 220 is .38Super. Login/Join 
posted
Hello,

I was thinking through some stuff, and lusting after a milled 226 slide w/reddot.

I have a 226, so, it will work.

Then I got to thinking...

Could I use this new 226 slide and reddot on my .38Super 220?

I know the .22lr conversion kit swaps between 220 and 226 with little difficulty.

In my preliminary readings, it seemed the biggest issue for the 226 slide on a 220 was the slide stop/ejector, as the 220 in those posts were .45acp.

However, my 220 is a .38Super.

I've already found/tested the fact that a 226 9mm barrel basically was a drop in conversion of caliber.

What I don't know is if there is some difference in the 226 slide, compared to the folded 220 of the mid 90s, that I am unaware of.

Yes, I tried my 226 slide on my 220 .38 frame, but this is inconclusive, as my 220 .38 is dismantled while the slide stop, trigger and a few other parts are off being refinished. The slide went on the frame smoothly- but the slide stop/ejector wasn't present for a full test.

[interestingly, the .40S&W slide didn't slide as smoothly on the frame. It was like the difference between bone dry and wet lubricated, with wet being the 9mm slide.]

As I said, the only real stumbling block I found in the threads I read was the .45 ejector working with a 9mm round. And, this is not relevant as my ejector is for a .38Super, which works just fine with 9mm.

[this entire project would be for fun- not defensive use. Just to head off those 'I wouldn't trust my life to it'- type comments.]

Any thoughts?

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Sounds interesting.

Let us know how it tuns out.

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post