SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig p365xl mag spring launch 15 rounder
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig p365xl mag spring launch 15 rounder Login/Join 
Picture of ffhounddog
posted
Just had my mag spring launch with base plate while pulling it out of my Uniform pocket and I lost the spring found the base plate and the follower is still there. Called Sig and they do not have parts to replace the spring or base plate.

Any ideas whom might have springs and the plate for it?

Posts: 311 | Location: Huntsville, AL | Registered: January 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I've noticed that Sig doesn't seem to sell service parts for some of their magazines. I have the impression that this is a money grab to force us to buy new magazines when we can't find replacement followers, springs or floor plate retainers. Pretty shitty customer service.

Posts: 3374 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does Wolff not sell the appropriate spring yet?

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ffhounddog
posted Hide Post
Not yet

Posts: 311 | Location: Huntsville, AL | Registered: January 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
How about the MagGuts conversion:
https://magguts.com/product/ma...5-15-round-magazine/

(Not available yet, but "soon.")

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No help to you, but I would like to know what caused this to happen.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
No help to you, but I would like to know what caused this to happen.
I've been pondering this as well.

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
I've noticed that Sig doesn't seem to sell service parts for some of their magazines. I have the impression that this is a money grab to force us to buy new magazines when we can't find replacement followers, springs or floor plate retainers. Pretty shitty customer service.

More than likely it's because Sig isn't making the magazines themselves and instead has outsourced production to some third-party...hence they have no means of providing individual component parts.

I've heard of magazines doing stuff like this in the past. I imagine some are more prone to it than others. I'd be curious to hear if there is any damage to the OP's baseplate that might have caused it to separate from the mag body. Also, OP, if you can get back to where it came apart, try searching with a magnet...you might get lucky. I've used that technique before with some success after dropping small screws in the garage.

Posts: 8540 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm Angler
posted Hide Post
This happened to me as well, just yesterday. I was taking the 15rd magazine out of a kydex carrier and the next thing I knew there were springs and cartridges on the ground.

I found all the parts and the only help I can offer as to why it happened concerns the flat keeper at the bottom of the magazine which interacts with the extended floorplate. It appears to be part of the retention which keeps the floorplate attached to the magazine tube. It looked to me like the mag spring either got underneath or somehow moved this part out of spec.

I confess I did not inquire further, and set the magazine aside/loaded another. Given this coincidental report of the same occurrence, I am a bit curious and concerned.

Posts: 186 | Location: Park County | Registered: February 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When a mag comes apart it is normally due to being dropped. Just coming apart by pulling it out of a mag carrier seems odd.

Just for grins I just dropped a fully loaded 15 round 365 mag onto my floor. Concrete slab construction with a laminate floor over the top. Not soft. 3 feet off the ground. I did it 3 times, certainly not an exhaustive test but it sounded horrible so I figured 3 was enough. It was fine.

As for the mag design, it looks exactly like almost every mag on the planet. Mag body, follower, spring, and the 2 parts that interact to lock on the baseplate. Every mag has that second piece with a bump out that catches in the baseplate hole. Nothing new here.

I will keep an eye on mine but I don't think it is a trend to watch out for at this point. lol

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If the magazine “insert,” the part inside the magazine with the stud that fits into the floor plate wasn’t positioned correctly so that the stud fit into the floor plate hole as it should, then it’s obvious that the floor plate could slip or be pulled off and the magazine would disassemble itself. Improper assembly could have occurred at the factory or by the user.

A minor dimensional or other defect in the stud might also prevent its proper positioning in the floor plate. I don’t have any of the 15-round magazines, but I checked the 10- and 12-round models I have and noted that the insert stud does not extend fully to the floor plate surface. If it were any shorter in a particular manufacturing batch, for example, it might not hold the floor plate in place securely.

I would check any P326 magazines by pushing forward on the floor plate to ensure it’s held in place by the magazine insert.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post