SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Just picked up a P224 .40
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Just picked up a P224 .40 Login/Join 
Member
Picture of inspcalahan
posted
When these hit the shelves, I had drifted from my P series Sig's and was well into my 1911/Gov't guns. I always thought "hey, those look pretty damned cool and fill a niche". That was about all the glance I gave them at the time.

Earlier this week, I won an auction for a mint P224 in .40s&w with all the melted edges, DAK trigger (first time to experience that as well) and no magazine. Knowing the parts and magazines for these fairly scarce P series guns were a thing, I bid low. Well, for $420 including auction fees, I got the gun without a magazine. It looks barely used.

I fell on my sword and paid $100 for a new in package factory 10rd magazine, so I'm all in for $520. I have plenty of P229 magazines that will work as well for range days.

I haven't had a chance to get to the range yet but, I feel like it was a fair purchase, it'll give me a good way to use up the pile of .40 ammo I'm sitting on and damned if it doesn't seem like a decent little carry gun, even if a bit heavy for its size.


Anyone else have one? Thoughts on them?
 
Posts: 928 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I helped my girlfriend source a mint condition used DA/SA P224 in 9mm some years back here in the Forum Classifieds from a Member in Louisiana.
It came with 10 or 12 magazines, all 10 round capacity. The seller had larger capacity magazines available, but in NY State, that's a no-go.
She liked that little P224 a lot and it was her favorite carry pistol.
I don't have anything bad to say about it, it always has worked 100%.
It is a "chunky" and rather heavy small pistol.

I recently inherited her impressive firearms collection, including the P224.
Just the other day I tried the P224 in a holster designed for an HK P2000sk.
I won't need to buy any P224 holsters. (she was a lefty, I am a righty)

You did good, the P224 is a nice pistol, a bit chunky, a bit heavy, but a real solid dependable unit.
I have no personal experience with the DAK type.



NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer
 
Posts: 2118 | Location: upstate NY in Kathy Hochul's bowel movement | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I purchased a P224/.40 SAS new at a LGS shortly after they came out many years ago, because at the time my EDC was my P229/.40 TT, and the P224 made a great companion piece. Although I haven’t fired it in well over 10 years, I remember it being accurate and easily controllable. Enjoy that P224!


Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)
 
Posts: 2059 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Enjoy mine. There is a thread on my acquisition here somewhere.

I need a magazine so if you have any suggestions let me know.


-------
Trying to simplify my life...
 
Posts: 6282 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I won an eBay auction for a NOS magazine! Hope it shows up.


-------
Trying to simplify my life...
 
Posts: 6282 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I won an eBay auction for a NOS magazine! Hope it shows up.


Nice - they are hard to find for sure. I managed to pick up a good condition used one for a tolerable price as well.
 
Posts: 928 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I had two P224's in 9mm and stupidly parted with them. I really miss them.


For ME:
DA/SA=Sig 9mm or HK P30 LEM 9
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

 
Posts: 1574 | Location: TX | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of GOTSIG
posted Hide Post
Just not enough for me to get good control of when firing. Maybe Pearce has mag extensions that help but frankly never took the time to investigate. If it works for you then have at it. It just felt as unwieldy as a Glock 27 in my hands.

I’ve always believed that if the gun fits your hands and you can get it on target under stress than go for it. We all have different options. Glad it works for you!


====================
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." THOMAS
JEFFERSON
 
Posts: 919 | Location: Maine, U.S.A. | Registered: August 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I've actually got two 224's in 9. One is DAK (the first one I picked up when I decided I "needed" a 224), and the second one was a NIB da/sa and he had 12 or so mags with it. They are cool guns if you're into the P series.
 
Posts: 1783 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I am putting Trijicon HD sights (orange) on mine this week. Found the sights at www.bhphotovideo.com at a reasonable price. 8/6 and the package says made for .40 S&W...


-------
Trying to simplify my life...
 
Posts: 6282 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Cous2492
posted Hide Post
I purchased the first P224 I saw when they first came out. Mine started as a .40 DAK gun, but I later converted it to DA/SA. It's a fantastic gun that shoots better than you'd think. It doesn't carry much easier than a p229, so it got very little actual range or carry time. Still sits in the safe. I have considered thinning my SIG collection recently, and frankly, this one is probably on the short list of pistols to get sold, not for lack of love, but for lack of use.
 
Posts: 700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Just picked up a P224 .40

© SIGforum 2026