SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P365 - What Pemium Self Defense Ammo?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P365 - What Pemium Self Defense Ammo? Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted
I am still breaking in my 365 (born on Feb 14, 2019). So far I have been using 115gr FMJ (150 rounds), and 50 rounds of 147gr JHP Federal HST. The gun has been 100% so far, and the Federal HST is remarkably more accurate than the ball ammo.

What load does everyone else use for carry?

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
135gr Critical Duty in the pistol with 147gr HST in secondary magazine. I haven't found anything that doesn't work reliably.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I’m using Federal HST 147 grain standard pressure. It’s what we issue so it’s what I carry.

No issues thus far. I did a comparison with the chronograph to see what the speeds were like in the 365 - it does definitely have a wider spread of deviation between rounds.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
124 grain +P gold dots. Been 100% reliable.

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
The 9mm performance ammo thread has been done so many times. Please search using the karmanator custom forum search for insights.

I use Critical Duty or Ranger T.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
147gr HST in both of our P365’s (wife and I)...Both pistols have had 100 rounds of 147gr HST’s through them with many more hundreds of rounds of FMJ ammo with zero issues....Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
9BPLE and Speer GD +P 124.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of choices. There's been more research and development on the 9mm bullet in the last seven years than any other in history. So, all of these mentioned are very good. Choices?
I carry in all five of my pistols Underwood 9mm Luger +P+ 90 gr Xtreme Defender 1550 fps. Reviews have shown (the bullet is the Lehigh one) it causes a greater permanent wound channel than any HP. Penetration is outstanding too. I happen to like
penetration.
Check them out. Some might prefer the +P since manufactures do not recommend +P+. I don't practice with it but figure if needed I'm sure all of my pistols can handle it...for that "time".
There's about five outstanding SD loads out there.
The other posters here carry those___and should get the desired results.
Stay safe
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speer gold dots.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
The 9mm performance ammo thread has been done so many times. Please search using the karmanator custom forum search for insights.

I use Critical Duty or Ranger T.

I am not talking about 9mm performance in general. I am asking what folks are finding that works reliably in the short barreled P365.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
I am not talking about 9mm performance in general. I am asking what folks are finding that works reliably in the short barreled P365.

I don't have a P365, but I do have a Walther PPS M2. Barrel lengths are 3.1" and 3.18", respectively. So, FWIW...

I reviewed the Lucky Gunner gel tests (done with short-barrelled pistols) and polled the members here. I came up with:

• Federal HST 147 gr.
  • Speer Gold Dot 147 gr.
  • Remington Golden Saber 147 gr.

I've run all three in my PPS M2 and it cycled them all flawlessly.

My methodology was to choose the three that had both above average performance in LG's gel tests and received the highest number of recommendations here.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26007 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rigby470:

Same-same here.

Mine ran HSTs perfectly fine, but was a tad more accurate with the GDs.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I've put over 400 rounds of standard pressure Federal 147 grain HST through my P365 without a malfunction. This ammo's terminal effects are just as good as the +P versions offered by Federal and I don't see any reason to subject my pistol to the additional wear and tear of the higher pressure loads for no reason. Good stuff!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
My department limits us to Winchester Ranger +P. I would much rather use Speer Gold Dot or Hornady Critical Duty.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: snoris,

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
More important than penetration or expansion in Jello blocks is functioning in the gun. The highest-tech load in the world won't do you any good hung up on the feed ramp.

quote:
So far I have been using 115gr FMJ (150 rounds), and 50 rounds of 147gr JHP Federal HST. The gun has been 100% so far, and the Federal HST is remarkably more accurate than the ball ammo.
I'd say you've found your load.

Posts: 27830 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased 2 cases of 147gr. HST and run it in all size 9mm pistols. It has less felt recoil than the 124+P Gold Dot and HST.

Posts: 604 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
135gr Critical Duty in the pistol with 147gr HST in secondary magazine. I haven't found anything that doesn't work reliably.
IIRC, Hornady does not recommend the 135 grain Critical Duty in sub-4" barrels. Insufficient expansion in ballistic media, which equates to overpenetration.

Try the 124 grain +P Critical Duty for your compact pistol.

Posts: 107251 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBP55:
I recently purchased 2 cases of 147gr. HST and run it in all size 9mm pistols. It has less felt recoil than the 124+P Gold Dot and HST.
The 147 grain HST has less felt recoil even than the standard pressure 124 grain HST. The +P version of the 124 grain HST is a stout loading. I perceive more recoil with the 124 grain +P HST when compared to the Gold Dot +P 124 grain.

The 147 grain HST is a prime choice for compact pistols.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107251 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rigby470:

Same

It's also the load I use in my Glock 19s

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I've been using Speer 124 grain Gold Dots (standard pressure). I bought them in bulk a while back, so that's all I've tried as far as hollow points go. My father has been using them in his P365 too. No issues.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post