SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    In today’s world why wouldn’t you bring a 100% ambi gun to market???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In today’s world why wouldn’t you bring a 100% ambi gun to market??? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
I was just reading something about reversible mag releases in passing and I started thinking, by would you go so far to add an ambi slide stop, possibly safety and then make the mag release only reversible. Is there some large amount of data that there is a higher proclivity to inadvertently drop a mag?

Now a couple of caveats.
-If we are talking about using legacy mags for a platform I get it. Assuming the company doesn’t want to modify the mag design or have two generations of mags that are not 100% compatible.

-I get it on reproductions, old school etc type guns. It would be silly for that new Springfield SA35 to do this as part of what you are buying is nostalgia or “kinetic art” as I like to put it.

But assuming a ground up gun P320/250 why not go full ambi instead of 3/4 of the way there?

I don’t have a particular dog in the fight as I am right handed but I do like redundancy and I prefer a setup where I can drop a mag with my trigger finger Ala Walther/HK paddles or true ambi guns.

Just a random thought. I am sure there is a practical reason under hard use and such.

Thanks all. Take care, shoot safe,
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
As a right-hander, I don't like ambi controls. I think they should be reversible so that lefties can set the gun up the way they want it, but extra stuff hanging off the wrong side of the gun is just asking to get inadvertently bumped, snagged, etc.

I've accidentally engaged and accidentally disengaged 1911 ambi safeties. I've never done it, because I don't have any handguns with ambi mag releases, but I know of lefties who have inadvertently dropped mags due to grip pressure on a right-handed mag release.

They new ARs we got at work are almost full-ambi, and the stupid right-sided safety lever hits my trigger finger if it's indexed along the side of the frame when I deactivate it. I've also seen the ambi mag releases get bumped by stuff hanging off molle gear and drop the mag on the ground when the rifle is slung. Finally, I realize it's just a training issue, but a bunch of my guys (me included) who were already very familiar with traditional AR controls and could operate one in our sleep, or in the dark just by feel, got confused by the extra controls and had to put more effort (actually look) into making sure we were pressing the right control, because there was stuff there that we didn't expect. If it was my gun and didn't belong to the agency, I'd take all that crap off and set it up for right-hand only controls.

IMO a gun that is customizable to the user is preferable to one that tries to be everything to everybody.

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's just The MAN keeping wrong-handed people down. Big Grin

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8766 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Lefty's are second class citizens Wink

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me, ambi also includes ejecting on the opposite side.

Like 92fstech I do not like ambi safeties. I've run into numerous times my SAO's have gone off safe. 1911's are considerably worse.

So, I the controls should be reversible, if not, As a member of the "man" lets keep the lefties down. :P

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh no. Another subclass to get WOKE about. Razz

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
Oh no. Another subclass to get WOKE about. Razz

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Both my Springfield EMP (1911) and Staccato R (2011) have ambi safeties. I carry the EMP. The R will be a range toy.

I don't have extensive experience with either, but I've never had the safety on either flip on or off unintentionally.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
As a right-hander, I don't like ambi controls. I think they should be reversible so that lefties can set the gun up the way they want it, but extra stuff hanging off the wrong side of the gun is just asking to get inadvertently bumped, snagged, etc.

I don't have any experience w/ ambi ARs, but otherwise you nailed my sentiments. Everything you need and nothing you don't.. nothing superfluous on guns for serious purposes.

Thinking on it further, I might consider buying an ambi-controls handgun if I took on the duty to train a left-handed new shooter.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Lefty's are second class citizens Wink

Well duh! Of course you are. But some of us “right folks” like redundancy. Razz

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Double barrel shotguns and most single shot rifles are pretty ambi. As a left handed long gun shooter growing up 50 years ago Those were the choices I had. So I learned to shoot righty as well. Now I am equally bad with either hand.

I do shoot both ways comfortably and There are many more choices now from the industry. I also prefer the controls set up either right or left. The thought process is just easier that way.

Posts: 384 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Ugh. More components (assembled from small, hard-to-fiddle-with parts) that can go wrong.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
True ambi mag release guns are problematic at best. Glock tried it and abandoned it due to their products finding themselves in police duty holsters. When Right handed coppers put a seat belt on, it would activate the mag release and inadvertently pop the magazine out from being seated.

It not as much an issue for left handed cops unless they are riding dirty (two officer car). In that case, I have seen officers just run the mag release as set up for a right handed shooter, and use their index finger to release the mag.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is meant by “in today’s world”? Has the % of lefties increased significantly or is this a reference to extreme inclusivity?

Maybe automakers should sell LHD vehicles here, especially those few with a manual gearbox.

Anyway, some guy named Hendrix adapted to a right handed guitar fairly well.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

This right here. Only recently have I bought any handguns with any ambi controls, a Glock 45 with the slide release and a Beretta 92FS with the safety. Not a fan of extra stuff hanging off on the offside of the gun.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
Back when I was carrying H&K’s, I switched all my button release guns to the “wrong side” so I could activate it with my strong hand finger. I never had an issue with any of them dropping mags. But I have had an ambi safety’s on 1911’s disengage while carrying. Luckily the 1911 is an outdated design that will be obsolete soon.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2226 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
quote:
Luckily the 1911 is an outdated design that will be obsolete soon.
Eek

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30673 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Pretty simple, and you knew the answer. A lot of extra work, a lot of extra money, a lot of technical hurdles to over come, in many cases for which they don't have a good work around, all for a small percentage of the market.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
True ambi mag release guns are problematic at best. Glock tried it and abandoned it due to their products finding themselves in police duty holsters. When Right handed coppers put a seat belt on, it would activate the mag release and inadvertently pop the magazine out from being seated.

It not as much an issue for left handed cops unless they are riding dirty (two officer car). In that case, I have seen officers just run the mag release as set up for a right handed shooter, and use their index finger to release the mag.

Is that a problem with the HK and Walther paddle/lever mag releases, too?

I like them and they’re truly ambidextrous, but I don’t ride around in a car with a pistol in a duty holster.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@ JJones.

Someone says heeey

LOL- not often one can show off their P89.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post