SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger LCPII - what’s your experience?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger LCPII - what’s your experience? Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
I’m not looking for any caliber arguments on this one. I’m just trying to see who has a Ruger LCP II (2) and what their experiences are? Does anyone have any high around counts? Any suggestions / additions, aftermarket parts or holsters that stood out to you? Any suggestions on overall maintenance?

I already have one, I just need some help better setting it up.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living a strange life
Picture of jonrem
posted Hide Post
I love mine in 380. I also have the 22LR and it’s less reliable than I would like, but it’s just a plinker anyway.

I just use the included pocket holster and painted the front sight post with pink nail polish. Sig V-crown ammo. Hoping to try out Federal Hydra Shock deep when it’s available.

I had gotten lax about carrying up until 2 months ago when I walked into the immediate aftermath of an armed robbery at a gas station. Missed being in the store when it got hit by about 30 seconds. I had my 340PD on me, but even that is awkward to carry front pocket compared to this. No excuses now and I carry it every day in my right front pocket.

Posts: 442 | Location: Central TN | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I do not have the II but I do have the LCP. The only thing I have changed is the easy take down pin (looks like a straight bolt that you can turn and take out with your fingernail) and the Galloway Precision 13lb. recoil spring and a SS guide rod. I would do the same with the LCP II if/when I get one.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
I have one that I bought the day after the 2016 election. I don't have a lot of rounds through it, maybe a couple hundred. I'll take it along on range trips occasionally and fire a couple of mags just to make sure it's still functioning properly.

I put a talon grip on it and have 3 mags, all with the finger extension installed. The holster is a generic version of the Sticky or Mika holster that can be used as a pocket holster or can be slipped IWB. It's not a set up I carry often, just when my P365 seems like too much.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
For the times I can't accommodate my 1911, I pocket carry a LCPII.

I've added a green lasermax laser, which in my opinion, dramatically useful as the stock sights aren't the best. When you grip the handgun the laser automatically activates via "grip sense". I bought it from MidwayUSA and the cost back in 2018 was $124.

another item I added was a very tactile grip tape that was precut for the LCPII. That suggestion was found in a prior Sigforum post. Unfortunately I can't recall the name of the tape and heartily recommend it as well.

Then to cover all angles, I alternate Gold Dots and Underwood ammo on the magazine.

I can add pictures later as I don't have the LCP II on me at the moment.

Found some pics:

Posts: 3724 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:

I do not have the II but I do have the LCP. The only thing I have changed is the easy take down pin...

I too have the I, carried inside a DeSantis Nemesis. Mine still hits the paper after 1100+ rounds. I have two more in the safe ready to carry but so far they're not needed.

Suggest you order a few spare take down pins, they're a mere $4. My "gun area" is in the basement surrounded by shelves, boxes, and lots of dust, if one drops in the wrong spot I just grab a new one.

https://shopruger.com/LCP-Take...n/productinfo/61518/

This works for the I, not sure about the II.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't own one, but own a S+W bodyguard, which is a nice gun as far as feel balance goes but the trigger is god aweful, it breaks at the very back of the trigger guard causing your grip to readjust.

That being said, my range has an LCP II which I rented. It has lord only knows how many rounds through it, and I'm guessing it's had several thousand rounds since it was cleaned last. It shot 100 rounds with no failures, was more accurate and easier to shoot accurately than my bodyguard. Recoil you felt but wasn't harsh. I was nowhere near as accurate as my larger guns.....basically best I could do was a 6" group at 7 yards, whereas I can do a 1" group at 7 yards with any normal size gun I own. But it will get the job done.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own the original LCP. It was sent back to Ruger after issues with the takedown pin. Ruger took care of me. Shoots fine now. Sounds like the LCP II fixed that issue. I like the gun for easy concealment in front pocket holster

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have the 2nd gen LCP I, the serial numbers have no dash. Also improved the trigger/hammer system over the earliest ones, slightly higher sights. I have approx. 250 rds thru it, not a fun gun by any means, but it is my BUG. And at times, my primary when I don't carry my G43. Been 100% reliable.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16702 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My LCP II has been perfectly reliable for about a thousand rounds ( I do not think they expect them to be shot this much) and runs on ammo that won’t function in my other 380’s including my middle of the round power factor reloads. A perfect pocket pistol. Truth be told I got several other pocket guns for free ( an inherited j frame, a Glock 42 as a prize form a shooting match) but the Ruger lcp 2 is the winner. I can routinely hit a 1/2 size uspsa steel target at 75 yards with it so consistently it becomes boring. Fist size groups inside 25 yards are the norm. A great pistol for under $300.

Posts: 3292 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My little .22 has been awesome. Easy one hand mag dump 3-5 yrds, reliable with everything except PMC zapper, greasy and filthy.

Had an LCP .380 II, thought trigger bit too light, snappy. Supposedly they were working on .32 pocket gun of some sort can’t wait to see if that materializes. I love my little LCP custom, kinda my always gun.

Posts: 1153 | Location: Decatur, GA | Registered: November 14, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had both the II and the II Lite Rack, the 380 is too snappy for me, and the grip is way too short, I have medium large hands and can only get 2 fingers on it. Just do not enjoy it. Very reliable and well made, just too small.

Posts: 43 | Location: Hilton Head Island, SC | Registered: August 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigborgel:

...and the grip is way too short, I have medium large hands and can only get 2 fingers on it. Just do not enjoy it. Very reliable and well made, just too small.

I have these for my I:

https://shopruger.com/LCP-II-7...e/productinfo/90626/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I have both the .380 version and a recently purchased 22lr version. I purchased the .380 right after they were introduced and pretty much did the same for the 22 lr version.

In 500 rounds of .380, I've not had a single malfunction using factory ammo. In the 22 lr version, I had 4 double feeds in the first 25 rounds after that, approx 300 rounds total, no malfunctions.

CCI Stingers are quite vocal in the 22 version, and the .380 is controllable. Both guns are accurate at the ranges intended, each 22 brand I tried showed different impacts, the Stingers being the best.

I am very pleased with both of these little pistols, except for one bad characteristic, often shown on many Ruger autos, with a trigger safety...trigger sting. It's not as severe as on larger caliber Rugers with similar trigg safeties, but noticable.

Paid $325 for the 22 lr version, $275 for the .380 when it first came out.

Wish Ruger would make a .32 Auto conversion kit (slide & barrel ) for the .380. Or either a 9x18 barrel !

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wish Ruger would make a .32 Auto conversion kit (slide & barrel ) for the .380.

I actually sent the CEO an email asking for a .32 acp version. Perfect round for that size pistol.

I have the LCP II. It has been stellar in over 300 rds so far. It's a BUG to my M&P 9mm. I have it loaded with Lehigh 90g xtreme penetrator. It cylcles them just fine. The only "upgrade" (if you will) is I changed to a 7 rd mag extension. I lost the slide lock but I gained the extra round.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I have one. It has around 600 trouble free rounds through it. Most of those rounds are 95gr FMJ's from various manufacturers and around 100 of the 90gr Fiocchi XTPs. Like I said zero issues.

I probably only carry it 5 days a year. Thought about selling it last year, but I took it to the range, shot it and it went right back in the safe to keep. Shoots just fine at 7yds to I'll keep it.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I considered one but after reading several reviews that stated the trigger on the LCPII is more or less a SINGLE ACTION and short in pull, I decided that’s not a good thing for pocket carry and passed on it for a Kahr CW380.

Posts: 33814 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
My new LCP II is currently in the hands of Ruger to address a problem with the slide not locking back on empty. I also asked them to look at the sighting, as it shoots about 3" of POA.

I like the gun; I bought a special "distributor edition" because I liked the American flag cerakoted on the slide. But that's all cosmetic.

Not enough rounds through it to make a judgement. I'll wait until it comes back from Ruger.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post