SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    A few upgrades to the EMP4
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A few upgrades to the EMP4 Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
I've had this gun for about 5 years, and really like it, but it had a few flaws. The factory grips were too thin, the slide occasionally failed to lock back and the finish started flaking off the slide-catch lever, and it had a stupid ambi-safety.

I got some regular wood 1911 grips on clearance from Springfield Armory a couple of months back to replace the thin factory grips, and the gun fills the hand much better now. After I got the grips on, I decided it was time to fix the other issues as well. I ordered an EGW HD Thumb Safety and a 9mm Slide-Catch lever, and they got here today.

I was really impressed with the quality of the parts. The slide-catch is drop in, and is a quality forged part. It's radiused for the detent to allow easier re-assembly...something I've done to my other 1911 myself, but it was a nice touch coming straight out of the box. I still need to get it to the range, but I'm hoping using the 9mm part with the longer catch solves my last-round lock back issues.

The safety of course required fitting. I took my time and got it done in about 3 hours. It's pretty large as far as 1911 safeties go, so I had to modify the left grip panel a bit, and out of the box there were a lot of rough edges that I had to blend, but I'm happy with the final result. It engages the detent much more positively than the factory safety did, and the right-side lever isn't there to get inadvertently bumped on or off anymore. I'm kinda digging the stainless look, too! Big Grin

Posts: 8671 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crossfire fanatic

Picture of mr.sig239
posted Hide Post
Nice! I would like to make mine single safety also.

phil

Posts: 2387 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: November 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Gotta say it looks better than the stock version IMHO. Well done!

Posts: 4613 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice upgrades.

I have an earlier 3" EMP. I removed the ambi safety (I'm RH and it is my gun so...), replaced the grips, and upgraded the night sights. And that's it. Very fine pistol otherwise.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Batty67,

Posts: 3539 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Why do people remove the ambi safeties? Doesn't seem to get in the way and, if you ever have to shoot left-handed it might come in handy, no?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Why do people remove the ambi safeties? Doesn't seem to get in the way and, if you ever have to shoot left-handed it might come in handy, no?

For me it does get in the way. I've had it disengage in the holster, and accidentally engage while shooting. I hate them. I can disengage the single-sided safety just fine with my left hand if I have to. For me, the ambi lever is just a liability. YMMV.

Posts: 8671 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've also never liked the ambi safety, even the lower profile ones I prefer to be eliminated.

Pistol looks good.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1944 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
For me it does get in the way. I've had it disengage in the holster, and accidentally engage while shooting.

Fair enough. That's why I asked Smile

I haven't carried my EMP3, yet, as I'm still breaking it in. So I guess I've yet to see if I'll have issues with holstering/drawing. I have put two hundred rounds down-range w/o issue, though.

I was dry-fire practicing with it, yesterday, and tried some left hand shooting. I found the ambi safety handy for that.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Depending upon your hand size and grip technique, it may not be an issue for you. I'd keep doing what you're doing and practice with the gun before you make any changes. I just know they don't work for me.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I had a first run EMP and there were some issues like below with friends that reported some problems that kinda gave me pause, plus all my other 1911's were single side I didn't have much use for one.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I love those grips on that EMP!

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
I had a first run EMP and there were some issues like below with friends that reported some problems that kinda gave me pause...

Yikes! Not good on an SD pistol.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's really bad. I'm not even sure how that happens, unless they designed the notch on the safety pin to be way too short. Even if not being used as a SD pistol, I'd say that's a significant safety concern!