SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    LaserLyte Trainer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LaserLyte Trainer Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Decided to pull the trigger on the thing. I really need to get more dry-fire time in, and I'm hoping this will make it more interesting.

I'll update this thread and let y'all know how it works out for me.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
You absolutely don't NEED a hit locator system. You will easily see the dot as well as see how much it drags the worse you pull the trigger.

A perfect system, however would probably be an IR laser and a hit locator so you don't pay attention to the laser itself.

At any rate both with and without the hit locator system my shooting has gotten better and I am not regimented about my practice. I just do it for fun now and then.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
You absolutely don't NEED a hit locator system. You will easily see the dot as well as see how much it drags the worse you pull the trigger.

Yup. My best friend mentioned both of those aspects.

quote:
A perfect system, however would probably be an IR laser and a hit locator so you don't pay attention to the laser itself.

The laser only pulses briefly after the hammer/striker fall, so...?

quote:
At any rate both with and without the hit locator system my shooting has gotten better and I am not regimented about my practice. I just do it for fun now and then.

That's what I expect to do. Though I'll probably be more regimented about it, at first, to see if I can improve my trigger control.

I have this awful hesitation problem when doing live fire that I know I can iron-out with more dry-firing practice. Not as bad as I used to be, years ago. Back then I'd be shooting with my buddy, he'd stop, look, and "Are you going to finish pulling that trigger someday?" Roll Eyes

That and I just need to go shooting and not worry about how well I do. Just throw some down-range for pure enjoyment purposes, rather than getting all wrapped around the axle about how well I'm shooting... or not.

Had an epiphany, day-before-yesterday. I'd updated my friend on how it'd gone with the P229S. Not bad, but not great. I'd done much better with my P320F 45 ACP. "You need to take that pistol shooting just for the pure enjoyment of it, and not worry about performance. Just enjoy the gun," he said. Later on, as I was sorting the brass, I realized I'd put more 45 ACP down-range than I had 357 Sig, in 1/3rd the time, and had much better grouping. Thought back on it and remembered I'd thought "Only 15 minutes left. I'll just throw some down-range to give the pistol a bit more break-in, test the new mag, and have some fun."

Performance anxiety's a bitch Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I am similar in focusing too much time on breaking a shot and what's funny is when I just bang them in there without a thought I usually just easily tear a ragged hole.

The biggest problem the laser set has helped me with is my offhand grip pressure vs my shooting hand grip pressure. I am really trying to ingraine controlling with off hand more then gripping tighter with my shooting hand. This practice is really helping me with that.

The other thing that it is great for is shooting down actual possible shooting lanes in the house (nobody home of course).

All in all I have found it both a valuable training aid and a fun toy that lets me "shoot" any of my guns on a whim. I get to pull out guns that don't get to the range much and run them a bit and that's great fun.

If my 90 dollar laser goes tits up tomorrow I will happily buy another as I really do think it was money well spent and has more then paid for itself in practical training as well as just plain fun.

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
I have a Glock 17 laser pistol with the drop magazines (2) and the laser target without timer.
I use it in class so I can confirm students understand how the site picture should look.
It seems to build confidence and relieve boredom in the classroom.
They all love it!

Where do you get one of those? Does it have a realistic trigger pull?

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am similar in focusing too much time on breaking a shot and what's funny is when I just bang them in there without a thought I usually just easily tear a ragged hole.

You know what else helped me? Pin-shooting. There's a range nearby that used to have informal pin-shooting on Thursday evenings. When that shot timer goes off you end up focused solely on sights, pins and movement. No time for angst Smile. I soon got to the point I was knocking 'em over in nearly as short a time, and with as few rounds, with my G34 as I was with my Ruger Mk I.

I've got pins printed on paper, full-size. I need to get a shot timer. Then I can replicate that fairly closely at any range.

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
quote:
I have a Glock 17 laser pistol with the drop magazines (2) and the laser target without timer.
I use it in class so I can confirm students understand how the site picture should look.
They all love it!

The package (laser gun and target) was given to me by the Company I work for. I don't know where they got it, I assume through the NRA participating Instructor sales program.
The "Glock" is red and black and has the same weight and dimensions as a Glock 17.

Posts: 4628 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
quote:
They all love it!

The package (laser gun and target) was given to me by the Company I work for. I don't know where they got it, I assume through the NRA participating Instructor sales program.
The "Glock" is red and black and has the same weight and dimensions as a Glock 17.

Thanks.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Ensigmatic...hey again, I *think* what your trying to accomplish will work...certainly not as well as using the Laserlyte targets, but I'm sure the laser "impulse" will show on your setup. Let us know!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
That Glock laser gun is probably a SIRT gun. They have several models.

Chris

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I have both a Sirt pistol and the Laserlyte pistol and e-target. I use the Sirt with the target, it has a much better trigger, the Laserlyte gun is functional but definitely not Sirt quality.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pingman274:
I have both a Sirt pistol and the Laserlyte pistol and e-target. I use the Sirt with the target, it has a much better trigger, the Laserlyte gun is functional but definitely not Sirt quality.

The Laserlyte unit I have is the barrel insert, works in any handgun.

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Got it!

Initial impressions

Seems well-enough made. Smaller than what you'd expect from the illustrations.

Windage and elevation adjustments are gross. (I.e.: Very little turn makes lots of change.)

Does what it's supposed to do, which emit a very visible pulse of red laser light when the hammer falls. (Haven't tried it in any of my striker-fired pistols, yet.) The pulse is clearly visible in the most brightly-lit room from well over 25' away.

Getting it right in the bore (tight enough, but not too tight), and getting the windage and elevation set is a bit of a PITA, so you won't likely be switching from handgun-to-handgun very often. Of course that bit of a PITA saves you a couple hundred dollars or more over dedicated calibers. (This was $86.52 at Amazon. The 380/9/40/45 kit would've cost me $245.03, and I still wouldn't have one for 357 Sig or 45 Colt, much less 357 Mag.)

It will humble you when you pull the trigger, the hammer falls, and you watch that laser pulse wander all over your target Smile

OTOH: Just a little bit of practice with it in place, and already I'm "grouping" better.

So: If it keeps working as it's working now, I'd have to give it two thumbs up

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Glad you like it! I'll admit, I just recently started the whole dry fire practice thing. It didn't take long using the Laserlyte setup to see some improvements on the range.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
I have one, but I have the rumble can target.
The rumble can is okay, it works but sometimes when it shakes itself so that the target zones are to the side it can take a few tries to activate the can and move it around.

I would not get the can again personally. The zones are too big and so you don't know exactly where you hit.

I have not used it much but it is a neat little toy. The target is probably a better trainer but the can is pretty much just a toy.

I think it probably depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

The Rumble Tyme targets look like they'd be neat for two kinds of practice: Set up around a TV watching area, an office, whatever, for casual plinking. Or set up in a couple places in a room to practice enter, draw, locate/identify targets, quickly shoot.

Slow-fire precision target shooting is not what they're meant for.

I think I kind of like them. At $100 a pair I may give them a go.

Picture of tomsem
posted Hide Post
I have a set of the pistol cartridges and score target and have been really impressed with the operation.

I also have the pop can targets but they need to be set up after every hit but work well.

It is a great way to get some dry-fire time that is a little more interesting.

Also, if you have the pistol cartridges, you can purchase the rear switch separately if they get worn out.

Posts: 92 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
An update to the LaserLyte thing. Like this:

So, two things: It worked really well in both my Sig P229 Sport (357 Sig) and my Sig P210 Target (9mm). What it did not work well in is my 1911. My hypothesis is that there's too little contact area between the device and the bore. In my 1911 it doesn't trigger reliably, it doesn't seem as consistent in POA vs. POI, and it wants to walk out of the bore.

Which brings us to the 2nd thing: You have to be careful not to over-tighten the device, or attempting to loosen it to remove it may result in it disassembling itself in the bore. Then you'd need to field strip the firearm and rod the thing out. Unless you did that in a revolver. Then... well, good luck!

Oh, and a third thing: I was reminded it doesn't have auto-shutoff when I accidentally left it on, the other evening, and it was dead the next morning.

ETA: Tried it in my .40 S&W P239 SAS. None of the issues I experienced with my 1911. Appears to work as well in this pistol as the other two I've tried. (It's a bit harder to say wrt POA vs. POI with this pistol, as I'm way out of practice with the DAK trigger. I think I'll need to address that. Soon!)

ETA2: A few days after I posted the ETA, above, my LaserLyte trainer up and died. I'm waiting to see if LaserLyte (now owned by Crimson Trace, now owned by American Outdoor Products) makes good on the 3-year warranty.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,