SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 26 Generation ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 26 Generation ? Login/Join 
Picture of abnmacv
posted
Trying to determine what model my Glock 26 is, anyone have a source to determine that?

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1600 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Post a pic and somebody can likely tell you.

Here's a good breakdown:

https://blog.talongungrips.com...%20generation%202.5.

Posts: 9168 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Pictures help. Finger grooves with a smooth texture between the bumps is a rare transitional that's been dubbed a Gen 2.5. Those bumps, with texture is a Gen 3. Gen 4 and 5 will say it on the slide.

Posts: 17577 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If your pistol has has no checkering in the finger gooves, it's a gen2.5.

If your pistol has the old style gen3 "grenade" checkering, it's a gen3.

If your pistol has the "flattened spike" checkering, it's a gen4.

If your pistol has no finger grooves, it's a gen5.

This is a gen2.5

Posts: 108942 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
First, look at the slide. The Gen 4 and Gen 5 will be marked as such next to the 26 on the left side of the slide. (e.g. "26 Gen 4" or "26 Gen 5")

Then, if needed, look at the grip texture and finger grooves. Below is a comparison between Gen 2.5, Gen 3, and Gen 4. Notice the difference in grip texture between the 2.5/3 and 4, and the lack of finger groove texture on the 2.5. (Gen 5 has the same texture as the Gen 4, just with no finger grooves.)

In summary:

Gen 2.5 = No "Gen" marking on the slide, and no texture in the finger grooves.
Gen 3 = No "Gen" markings on the slide, and texture in the finger grooves.
Gen 4 = Different grip texture than the 2.5 and 3, and marked "Gen 4" on the slide.
Gen 5 = Same grip texture as the Gen 4, but no finger grooves, and marked "Gen 5" on the slide.

Posts: 32996 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does it say Gen4 or Gen5 next to the 26 on the slide?

Does it have finger groves? If not, then Gen 5. Slide will be marked G25Gen5.

What kind of grip texture? Raised dots, Gen4, and will be noted on the slide as G26Gen4.

What is the slide finish?

Did it come with removable or spare backstraps for the grip (or, does it have a grove along each side of the backstrap)? If so, Gen4 or Gen5, also marked on the slide that way.

Checkering between the finger grooves on the frontstrap? The G26 was introduced at the close of the Gen 2 production run, but essentially, all G26's are Gen 3 pistols. Some refer to the earliest of them as Gen 2.5.

First-year G26's had finger grooves, but no checkering between them; these are sometimes called "Gen 2.5.

If it doesn't have raised dots for texture, doesn't say Gen4 or Gen5, has finger grooves, then it's a Gen 3, and if it's got no texture between the finger grooves, it's an early Gen 3 referred to as a Gen 2.5.

Some Gen3 pistols had rich texture raised dots, but not many. Those are referred to, sometimes, as Gen 3.5.

The magazine release on Gen 3 pistols isn't reversible (left side to right side).

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Some Gen3 pistols had rich texture raised dots, but not many. Those are referred to, sometimes, as Gen 3.5.
There were no RTF G26/27/33 pistols manufactured. The OP's question is about the G26.

posted Hide Post
Interesting. I thought there had been. Good to know, thanks.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Some Gen3 pistols had rich texture raised dots...

A minor niggle, it's Rough Texture Finish 2, and they call those polymids. There's also other iterations of the RTF throughout the production run of Glocks, also numbered, of course.

Posts: 17577 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I'm like Will Rogers, I never met a Glock 26 that I didn't like.

Posts: 6592 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Thanks, replies very helpful. Looks like my little pal is a 2.5.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1600 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
Looks like my little pal is a 2.5.
This is the least common variant of the G26, being produced for less than three years, I think. 1995 to 1998.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
Thanks, replies very helpful. Looks like my little pal is a 2.5.

That's pretty cool...you don't see a lot of those. One of my college buddies who was pretty instrumental in getting me into shooting had a gen 2.5 G27. I shot it a few times, and being a very inexperienced shooter at the time, found it to be pretty hard to control. Fast forward a few years and I ended up buying a gen 3 G26, as that was the the current production model at the time. Still have it, great little gun...I actually shoot it better than most of the bigger Glocks.

Posts: 9168 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
One of my college buddies who was pretty instrumental in getting me into shooting had a gen 2.5 G27. I shot it a few times, and being a very inexperienced shooter at the time, found it to be pretty hard to control.
The G26 2.5 was difficult for me- an experienced shooter- to control. I was using CorBon 115 grain +P, which recoils like a +P+ load. After three shots, I had to readjust my grip because I couldn't keep my fingers positioned correctly on the front strap.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
The Gen 3 and 4 both felt very awkward for me. They both felt like they were going to jump out of my hands and I had to readjust my grip every couple shots as well.
The Gen 5 is like a completely different pistol and feels completely secure.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
One of my college buddies who was pretty instrumental in getting me into shooting had a gen 2.5 G27. I shot it a few times, and being a very inexperienced shooter at the time, found it to be pretty hard to control.
The G26 2.5 was difficult for me- an experienced shooter- to control. I was using CorBon 115 grain +P, which recoils like a +P+ load. After three shots, I had to readjust my grip because I couldn't keep my fingers positioned correctly on the front strap.

That's an interesting observation. It's been over 15 years since I've shot his gen 2.5, so it's hard for me to say definitively why I had the problems that I did...if it was the design of the gun itself or just my poor grip technique and recoil control. Probably some of both. But knowing that you had a similar experience as a seasoned shooter validates my appreciation for the upgrades in the later generations.

In contrast, I can say that my grip is very secure on my Gen 3. The finger grooves actually fit my hand well, and I like the checkering. Even without a finger extension on the mag, that gun locks in nice and tight. Glock got it right with that one (at least for my hand size)!

Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
The Gen 3 and 4 both felt very awkward for me. They both felt like they were going to jump out of my hands and I had to readjust my grip every couple shots as well.
The Gen 5 is like a completely different pistol and feels completely secure.

Gen 4 was the first one for me that really locked into my hand and stayed put while shooting. The combination of the pyramids and the reduced back strap made the difference. Gen 2.5 was the hardest to control and Gen 3 wasn’t far behind. I never had a reason to move beyond my Gen 4.

Posts: 347 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some really good information on this thread. I have a 2.5 G27 in 40 and find it a good shooter. That configuration produces good target results with reasonable felt recoil with standard pressure ammo. I think the double recoil spring assembly really mitigates felt recoil of the .40, probably more in the G26.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post