SIGforum
Metal mags for Glocks

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/7890080274

July 07, 2020, 06:12 PM
whisky22
Metal mags for Glocks
with the success of Shield Arms 15 round mags for the Glock 43x, what do we think about them coming out with one for the 45 ACP Glocks?

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks
July 07, 2020, 06:19 PM
monoblok
I'd be willing to give them a try. I would however miss the ability to beat the crap out of them like I could with a factory mag. Toughness counts for something, too.

-MG
July 07, 2020, 07:19 PM
sns3guppy
The glock mags are metal, with a plastic shell. Still, pmags work quite well, too.

The Shield mags in my G43X and G48 are a nice improvement for capacity in a limited-capacity pistol, but they are expensive and chew up the factory mag release.

If I want more rounds out of a G17, I'll either run a 21 or 24 round magazine, or put a taran tactical basepad on it and increase the capacity that way. I can keep running pmags and glock factory mags, and even Elite Tactical mags, without worrying about swapping around mag releases, or tearing up magazines. I know the Glock mags will soldier on after I've dropped them in the dirt 500 times and run stupid amounts of ammo through them, and given their cost, availability, and function and reliability, I'll stay close to home and shoot what works.
July 07, 2020, 07:24 PM
220-9er
Why?
Glock mags are cheap, durable and reliable.
If you run ammo through one to test the function properly you are at half the price of the mag in ammo. That's before the panic.

July 07, 2020, 09:44 PM
YooperSigs
I have looked at the Shield mags but will wait to see how they do long term.
As an aside, I just bought some police turn in mags from GunMagWarehouse for my Glock 23.
13 bucks. Thats hard to beat. They look unissued.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
July 07, 2020, 10:06 PM
sns3guppy
Hmmm. I was just looking at those same mags at gunmagwarehouse.
July 07, 2020, 10:26 PM
Phelen_Kell
If you look at the mag designs and space available, there isn't much room in the regular Glock mags (9mm or 45) to squeeze much more space. You might be able to get 1 more round?

I'm looking at a Glock 21 mag now and if it was entirely metal, you might, might squeeze one more round in.

Well, that's my 2 cents. no change needed.
July 08, 2020, 12:32 AM
XLT
quote:
Originally posted by Phelen_Kell:
If you look at the mag designs and space available, there isn't much room in the regular Glock mags (9mm or 45) to squeeze much more space. You might be able to get 1 more round?

I'm looking at a Glock 21 mag now and if it was entirely metal, you might, might squeeze one more round in.

Well, that's my 2 cents. no change needed.

You might want to go take a look at shield arms mags they squezzed 5 extra rounds into the 43x. most said it couldn't be done and I was skeptical.
July 08, 2020, 12:33 AM
klash556
Honestly they need to go ahead and do it so they can actually make something new. They could just make three new models, full size, compact and a subcompact with radically redesigned frames.
July 08, 2020, 01:10 AM
YooperSigs
Guppy: One of the mags they shipped me had a Pearce + extender. Bonus!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
July 08, 2020, 02:28 PM
sns3guppy
Interesting.
July 08, 2020, 06:38 PM
.38supersig
Worst case scenario: They will only sell to about 7% of Glocks plus the carbines, etc... that are built for use with Glock mags. That would be around a bazillion magazines (okay so I might be off a bit with the estimate).

Why wouldn't they?