SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P365X vs P365XL
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P365X vs P365XL Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted
I'm stuck between wanting to purchase a P365X or P365XL.

For those that have shot both, what practical difference does the little bit of slide length make?

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4204 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I prefer the XL. That little extra slide length and weight changes the recoil impulse just enough for me. Accuracy was the same between the two for me, so no benefit there.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4526 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also prefer the XL for the reasons sigarms229 posted. I turned my old standard P365 into the X model, and even though it was an improvement it was still easier to shoot the XL better in all circumstances.

Posts: 731 | Location: Midwest | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll go the other way. I turned my standard 365 into an X model because I wanted the red dot sight for my old eyes. The extra 1/2 inch less slide length makes for a more comfortable appendix carry for me. No difference in accuracy or shoot ability in my humble opinion.

Posts: 280 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The grip is the major difference. Do you want a two finger grip with flush fit 10 round mags or with pinky extensions, or 12 round extended mags, or do you want a full 3 finger grip with 12 round flush fit mags?

I held a P365X the other day and it is just about perfect.

But all you have to do is swap the grip module and mags and you can configure any of them however you want.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rvbgtr
posted Hide Post
I've owned, carried and shot both.

Initially, I added the XL grip to my P365 and found it to be a great improvement for shooting, as it was more comfortable to shoot than the P365 with a flush 10rd mag, or even with the 12rd extended mag.

I've also owned a P365xl. Regarding recoil and accuracy, I did not notice much of a difference between the P365x and the P365xl.

I found carrying the P365x a bit more comfortable. My other reason for trying the P365xl slide was the Romeo O. I did not care for it that much, maybe I did not give it enough time.

Ultimately, I sold off the XL slide and purchased another standard P365 slide. Just found the advantages fo the P365 slide to outweigh the extra length of the the P365xl slide. I definitely favor the flat trigger though.

Posts: 798 | Location: Treasure Coast, FL | Registered: June 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
The grip is the major difference. Do you want a two finger grip with flush fit 10 round mags or with pinky extensions, or 12 round extended mags, or do you want a full 3 finger grip with 12 round flush fit mags?

But all you have to do is swap the grip module and mags and you can configure any of them however you want.

The X and the XL have the exact same grip module and use identical magazines. The only difference is slide/barrel length.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find the 365 much easier to carry in a pocket holster. I really cannot find any thing the XL does well. Too big for a pocket too small for a range gun.

Posts: 1256 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made my own X before it was a thing. Love it.

Posts: 5168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
I find the 365 much easier to carry in a pocket holster.

While true, he's not talking about a standard P365, he's talking about the new P365X which is a standard P365 sized slide (with optic cut) on a P365XL grip module.

While the XL size grip module can be pocket carried in one type of pants I have, all my other pants or jeans this isn't an option.

So taking pocket carry out, if I had to chose between the X and XL, I'd take the XL every time.

Posts: 4526 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If someone is going for the X, they're basically giving up on pocket carry. Once it's in a holster, is there any real negative to the longer barrel (albeit the positives may not be all that major)? I think that argues for the XL.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

The X and the XL have the exact same grip module and use identical magazines. The only difference is slide/barrel length.

Yeah I meant P365 vs. X/XL. Wasn't clear about that.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
After falling in love with the P365 I bought a second one, and an XL with the intent of making a P365L and probably selling the XL frame and regular slide.

Anyway after experimenting with the guns in all four configurations my favorite is the regular P365, then the XL, then the X. Strangely the L, the entire reason I bought two additional guns, was my least favorite.

So to answer the question, personally between the two I’d just stick with the standard XL. The extra slide doesn’t make any noticeable difference to me when carried in a holster, and the grip length will likely keep you from pocket carry anyway.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACP1:
I find the 365 much easier to carry in a pocket holster. I really cannot find any thing the XL does well. Too big for a pocket too small for a range gun.

That's my feelings as well. If I want something bigger than the 365, I'll grab my Glock 19.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
If someone is going for the X, they're basically giving up on pocket carry. Once it's in a holster, is there any real negative to the longer barrel (albeit the positives may not be all that major)? I think that argues for the XL.

For some people, for some carry methods, the extra barrel length can be just enough to cause discomfort.

When I wanted something more than my pocket gun I used to carry a 229 IWB just behind my right hip. Now I carry a 365 hybrid (365 with an XL grip) AIWB. I don't want the extra slide length.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I want something bigger than the 365, I'll grab my Glock 19.

To each his own. For me the XL shoots just as good if not better than my Glock 19 (that I've owned and shot for over 20 years), the XL is slimmer, and frankly more comfortable to conceal carry all day long.

I carry IWB strong side hip with spare mag on the opposite hip.

The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
Well, I just ordered a P365XL with the manual safety. So we'll see how that goes.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4204 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
After falling in love with the P365 I bought a second one, and an XL with the intent of making a P365L and probably selling the XL frame and regular slide.

Anyway after experimenting with the guns in all four configurations my favorite is the regular P365, then the XL, then the X. Strangely the L, the entire reason I bought two additional guns, was my least favorite.

So to answer the question, personally between the two I’d just stick with the standard XL. The extra slide doesn’t make any noticeable difference to me when carried in a holster, and the grip length will likely keep you from pocket carry anyway.

Interesting

Do you have any photos of the short frame + long slide combo?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
I guess for me the answer is “neither”.

I have and love the standard Micro, but all the talk about swapping stuff got me curious.
My grip module is perfect for me so I decided to try an XL upper assembly.

I shot both side by side and the XL worked noticeably better for me; more pointable, better balance, and faster shot recovery.

For me the grip module is what makes it so concealable, so the added 1/2” or so in length doesn’t change that; it still disappears under a polo shirt.

So now I have a P365L. Cool

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:

Interesting

Do you have any photos of the short frame + long slide combo?

It doesn’t appear that I took any. All I found was a picture of the XL by itself. And I traded it off a few weeks ago to a forum member for a P225 so I no longer have it.

Honestly it looked cool as hell. Especially with the 10 round pinky extension mag. Cool enough that I almost kept it just for that reason. I just don’t like the way it balanced and the P225 trade was too good a deal to pass on.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post