SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Blackhawk "Special Operations" holster
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blackhawk "Special Operations" holster Login/Join 
posted
Don't know if SOCOM personnel actually used this or not, but over the years I've seen it for sale on EBay, Amazon, and many other sites. For hikers, campers, etc. it seems like it would offer decent protection for your gun against scratches, scuffs, and the like. Anyone familiar?

https://www.blackhawk.com/hols...ter/BH-40XP00OD.html

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That looks like a piece of shit holster. 75 bucks for that sounds like a joke. If I was going to go that direction I would look into the actual military holster the Bianchi M12 (?) I think it is called. I bought one as a teenager and still have it. Which means it is nearly 4 decades old and still 100%. They are built hell for stout. Totally protect the gun. No way are you getting a fast draw but for hiking and protection that is a 100 times better than that Blackhawk. Yuk

My two cents would be run from that nylon crap.

Posts: 7497 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
It’s a remake of a holster made by LBT and used by the British SAS for their HP’s through the late 90’s.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess we know where the name came from then. Lol

Posts: 7497 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apparently the right-hand OD version (seems that there was once various color options) was assigned NSN 8465-01-501-8078, so someone at least in the US Government was using them at one point.

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
It's 2024, if you haven't tried one yet and decided that drop leg holsters are trash, there's cheaper ways to make that mistake.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
In my experience Blackhawk is Tapco quality.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3211 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But the SERPA..... lol

posted Hide Post
I think at one time, they were GI. But the conditions in our sandbox adventure caused them to fail. If you feel the need to (you may find that drop or leg holsters suck) go with Safariland.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's an old assed "Bag" holster (or copy of) from back in the 90's.

The flap can fold over the guy and buckles to provide extra protection. It's "ok" if you were jumping out of planes in 1993, not so much today. There's sooo much better out there.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw those used in the army, they are shit. And 75 bucks is hilarious. One guy in my platoon lost an M9 in a field with chest high grass, took all weekend with metal detectors to find it. And yes, he got in a shit load of trouble for not having his lanyard on his pistol. Another guy had one flop out oh his holster and into a port-a-shitter. He had a lanyard which made it easy for him to get it back but his m9 was covered in shit water. Problem with them is with actual use they get loose and start to fall apart and the pistol just flops out

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
I saw those used in the army, they are shit. And 75 bucks is hilarious. One guy in my platoon lost an M9 in a field with chest high grass, took all weekend with metal detectors to find it. And yes, he got in a shit load of trouble for not having his lanyard on his pistol. Another guy had one flop out oh his holster and into a port-a-shitter. He had a lanyard which made it easy for him to get it back but his m9 was covered in shit water. Problem with them is with actual use they get loose and start to fall apart and the pistol just flops out

Which holster are you talking about ? The one in the OP or the M12 ?

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks very cheap.

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dawes:
Don't know if SOCOM personnel actually used this or not, but over the years I've seen it for sale on EBay, Amazon, and many other sites. For hikers, campers, etc. it seems like it would offer decent protection for your gun against scratches, scuffs, and the like. Anyone familiar?

For hiking, camping, etc, I'd get the Kenai Chest Holster from Gunfighters, Inc:

https://gunfightersinc.com/kenai-chest-holster/

If you want a 'drop style' holster, I suggest a duty holster from Safariland w/ the SLS Level II Retention Hood. It comes in a mid-ride variant (Model 6280 or 7280) and a low-ride variant (Model 6285 or 7285). Depending on the firearm, one or the other model should be available to meet your needs, or maybe even both.

I have all of the above: the Kenai for an HK USPc (plus an extra holster shell for a SIG P320 Compact), a Safariland 6280 for an HK USP, and a Safariland 7285 for a SIG P320 X-Full. That said, I added the QLS System to both Safarilands, and use a Low Ride UBL on my belt w/ a single thigh strap from T.Rex Arms. The QLS System moves the holster out about a 1/4" from the body, but that setup works best for me and puts the pistol in the ideal position to draw. All are excellent for their intended purpose, though the Kenai chest rig can't be beat for your specified usage.

Drop leg holsters SUCK...And NOBODY should consider that Blackhawk! Just sayin' Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go spend the money on a decent hard shell holster with active retention. Safariland, Blackhawk T-Series, Alien Gear, etc. This is not the way.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post