SIGforum
Shooting and jewelry

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/7840040574

September 28, 2020, 12:38 PM
iron chef
Shooting and jewelry
I don't wear jewelry, namely rings. A couple times I've let other people try one of my guns, I noticed later a tiny scratch in the grip area. I suspect, but can not confirm, they were caused by rings they were wearing. I had this happen this past weekend, when I found a small nick in my G10 grip.

I know a lot of shooters wear at least a wedding band and maybe class ring too. Those of you who wear jewelry, do you notice scratches on your guns that line up around where you wear your rings?

Note: I know guns are tools. I am not asking how much incidental scratches to my tools should bother me; I'm asking if jewelry is a common cause of scratches to guns.
September 28, 2020, 01:01 PM
Nismo
Lots of police trade ins have galling on the front straps from wedding rings.
September 28, 2020, 01:02 PM
GaryBF
Ring wear is well noted in many used gun ads.
September 28, 2020, 01:58 PM
LincolnSixEcho
I’ve been wearing a silicone wedding band for years now so as to avoid such scratches.
September 28, 2020, 02:18 PM
DirectDrive
Years ago I let my boss at the time shoot my shotgun.
I was rewarded with some nice "ring dings" on the pistol grip.
I did however take the pain and kept my mouth shut.

ETA
New rule :
Lose the jewelry or wear gloves.
September 28, 2020, 02:43 PM
Oz_Shadow
I take my ring off beforehand and make my wife as well. In addition to nicking the coating on something like a classic Sig, it can damage the rings.
September 28, 2020, 03:28 PM
BuddyChryst
I had taken a female friend shooting and she had racked the slide with a ring on. Left a noticeable mark. It kinda bothered me for a bit, but it wasn’t her fault. Then I got over it cuz it got more wear from holster and competition.

ETA: I did learn from that and make sure anyone that handles my Anniversary 1911 takes off all rings.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy
September 28, 2020, 03:29 PM
lastmanstanding
My son nicked up the grip on my Kahr after I let him use it for a day. My son in law solved the problem by having my daughters initials tatooed on his ring finger because he shouldn't wear rings or jewelry in his line of work. I never could stand to wear any kind of jewelry. I don't know how some of you guys drag these huge watches around on your wrist all day. Razz I can only have a wallet on me if I am out doing errands and will need it and then it lives in the console until I go into a store.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton
September 28, 2020, 03:43 PM
P250UA5
Never really thought about it, but all my heavy use guns are polymer (P320/AR15) or rubber-sleeved (Hogue slip-on).

The Enemy's gate is down.
September 28, 2020, 09:25 PM
copaup
My duty weapon is silver on the front strap from my wedding ring. The retired duty weapon that I purchased when they replaced it is pretty chewed up in the same place. Of my personal weapons, my M9 is the only one with significant ring wear. I try to remember to remove any rings before a range session, but I don’t always think about it.

It’s extremely common from what I’ve seen, especially with aluminum frames.