SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 9mm 10 round magazines- differences?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 9mm 10 round magazines- differences? Login/Join 
posted
Hello,

In searching for 1 or 2 more P226 9mm 10 round magazines [in California], I have found two with Sig OEM stamping.

One looks like a Sig OEM part made by Mec-Gar, as it has the plastic spacer base that I see on Mec-Gar labeled 226 10 rounders [in 9mm]. The other looks like what I have in my pistol case- a solid metal body with a long groove indented on both sides.

I am trying to find the second type, for uniformity. Also, there will be fewer concerns in my range bag when I am grabbing BHP magazines- which have that same plastic base.

However, I was wondering if there is any technical advantage of one over the other?

The only advantage I can imagine is a theoretical one. I am theorizing that the full metal bodied one would allow me to replace the magazine spring with a standard mag spring. From reading here and previous searches, it seems there are no replacement mag springs for MecGar 10 rounders that have that plastic base to shorten the internal length.

So- the questions:

1- am I right about the mag spring advantage?
2- is there any other qualitative difference between these two designs?

[3- anyone know where I can find the all metal design in stock?- seems it is out at usual suspects.]

Thank you

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I like the ones with the plastic spacer base personally. I would think that they would be more reliable than the long groove indention ones as they dont mess up the round stack in the magazine.

The MecGar ones are identical and cost $22. The Sig branded ones cost $46. I say save the $25...

For replacement springs, you can call and ask if they sell them. I have heard both that they do sell and that they don't sell springs. Worst case, you could sell your used mags off every couple years and just replace them. Its probably cheaper to just do that...

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
Pardon my ignorance but what is the advantage of putting in a standard mag spring, and are you sure the current mag spring is different?

And do you know who makes the 10 rd mags with the side grooves? As far as I know the German made 9mm P226 10 rd mags also have an extended plastic base that looks slightly different.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The P226 10-rounder with the vertical grooves on the sides of the mag body is SIG factory one made by Checkmate.

Q

Posts: 26373 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post