SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thicker Grip Panels For My Springfield EMP 9mm? Update On Pg. 2: Kudos To Hogue
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thicker Grip Panels For My Springfield EMP 9mm? Update On Pg. 2: Kudos To Hogue Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Not having any luck finding what I want on my own. Perhaps the SF Oracle can help me? Smile

What I'm looking for is replacement grip panels for my Springfield 1911 EMP 9mm that are a bit thicker than the stock ones. I would really prefer wood. Preferably something similar to the stock grip panels. (Double-diamond, checkered.)

(I think Springfield is really missing an opportunity, here, not making them available from them.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Regular 1911 panels fit my EMP4. I had the same problem...the stock panels were too thin, and they felt just that much different from a regular 1911 that they were throwing me off. I'm not sure how the 3" EMP panels correspond to regular 1911 panels...if they're simply shorter or if the hole pattern is different as well. If they're just shorter, maybe you could get a set and work them down?

Posts: 8528 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking I'll reach out to the guy that made the custom grips for my Ruger Single Six and Blackhawk and see if he can make me a pair.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Camel Bone grips for my EMP 9mm. I just can't remember who made them for me. They look just like Ivory grips!!

Posts: 6612 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The hole locations on the 3" EMP grips are identical to the Officer's model and on the 4" EMP, they are identical to the standard Commander/Gov't models.

Posts: 114 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that bit of info, Mercury.

Meanwhile, my grip guy seems to be MIA. I'm told he was out of the grip-making business as of a couple years ago, anyway.

So the search continues.

Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Hogue makes a thicker G10 grip, though I don't know if it would be thick enough for your need.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16508 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
They do, but I'd really like to stick with wood on this pistol if I can.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
ensigmatic, over the years being a big fan of custom wood grips and crafters I've made a few good friends. One such friend is Brian Challis of Challis Grips. He's an extraordinarily talented craftsman working with custom grips using many exotic woods and materials. You can talk to him about creating special grips using particular grip methods like custom checkering, starburst, etc. In the past I've usually supplied Brian or other grip makers with woods I provided and sent to them. I've used several grip craftsman to include Sarge (Sarges Grips) and also having Larry Davidson do a one-off cocobolo starburst for my Ed Brown Kobra Carry. As he did the original Wilson factory starburst grips for many of their 1911's. Though much of these grips I had made over the years some of them may no longer be crafting grips or retired.

Brian's site is still up and running and business seems to be doing well. You may contact him and inquire about having grips custom made to your specs, custom woods and features. He's a great guy and does spectacular work. Check his site, especially the 1911 gallery. At one point he posted a few he made for my 1911's.

It was a long time ago and I'm not all that sure if it was Brian or Sarge that carved these grips for my EMP. I sold the pistol a while back too but still have this photo of the grips. They were made without any kind of checkering or grip treatment but the work was top notch. You might give Brian a shout, tell him I said hello. He carved grips for my Wilson, Nighthawk and others.

http://www.challisgrips.com

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendation, just1tym! I may give Brian a call.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Oh, and if you need some woods to provide, let me know and I can send you some at no charge. Too, you can mention to Brian about that 30lb chunk of desert ironwood that I had sent to him. Not knowing too much about woods back then, he joked that he needed to dry out the wood for several weeks and out of the 30lbs he only was able to recover just a few pairs due to the natural figure in the woods, we both had a laugh about that transaction!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offer of the wood!

Challis isn't currently accepting orders, Sarge is apparently no longer making grips and has retired to a tropical island, and Davidson appears to specialize in very fancy designs.

I just want a plain old pair of normal-thickness, double-diamond, checkered wood grips. Nothing fancy or spectacular.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Yea, gosh I'm sorry to hear that none of those suggestions panned out. It has been several years and as always things and circumstances constantly are changing. If I remember also, I read that there is also a member here on the forum that carves grips but read this several years ago. Though by chance he may post in this topic. I can still send the wood to you if needed. I sold off all my firearms but still have those wood blanks. I wish that I could have been more help. Hopefully you'll find what your looking for.

Regards, Will G.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
You sold off... all your firearms?!?!

Anyway: No worries. Thanks for trying to help. I appreciate it.

Re: The wood blanks. Thanks again for the offer. If I do manage to come up with a grip maker I'll keep it in mind.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
You sold off... all your firearms?!?!

Anyway: No worries. Thanks for trying to help. I appreciate it.

Re: The wood blanks. Thanks again for the offer. If I do manage to come up with a grip maker I'll keep it in mind.

Well, I transferred ownership of my last p228 to my wife as she requested to have one for home protection. It was agonizing to sell my others but declines in health have reached a point that having a good day is watching tv! I've had many spectacular days with my lifelong attachment to handguns, enjoyed it all but have just adjusted my priorities to my particular circumstances.

I'll always be able to live vicariously here thru my own joys and experiences of so many others. I'm not checking out yet, I just have to limit activities accordingly. Age/health just happens!

Regards, Will G.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear you can't shoot anymore, just1tym Frown

One of my best friends, best shot I've ever known and once a top competitor at his old gun club, is in the same boat. In his case it's arthritis that's laid him low.

Anyway... I may have found my solution. The CSR at Hogue was confident their Officer-sized grips would just drop right on--without even having to change grip screws or bushings.

She said their grip panels are 1/4 in. thick, which I think would be exactly right.

So I just ordered a pair. Wish me luck Smile

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Dang, you know it never dawned on me to suggest Hogue's. In the past I've just always thought of composite's when associating with their grips. I just went to their site and browsed the Officer's collections. Did you select their hardwood versions or composites G-10's and such?

They've been makers of fine grips for many years. In fact, I purchased these Hogue wrap-arounds years ago for my p228 that goes to the wife.

Post a snap of them and a review when you get em. It's as the saying goes "I can always still look!" Smile

A snap of the wife's p228 with the Hogue's. Many preferred the other flat panel composites but I liked the feel of the finger grooves and the grips made the recoil non-existent. Though not like the 9mm had much recoil anyway.

Regards, Will G.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Excellent! Dang, you know it never dawned on me to suggest Hogue's.

I figured Hogue's wouldn't work because I found many people asking the same question as me, and nobody ever replied "Here," and pointed to Hogue's site.

Hogue was my first thought.

quote:
Did you select their hardwood versions or composites G-10's and such?

These:

Hogue 1911 Officers Model Cocobolo Ambi-Cut Checkered

ETA: I just realized the product page now says "out of stock." I must've bought the last set they had in stock.

quote:
Post a snap of them and a review when you get em. It's as the saying goes "I can always still look!" Smile

Will do!

quote:
A snap of the wife's p228 with the Hogue's. Many preferred the other flat panel composites but I liked the feel of the finger grooves and the grips made the recoil non-existent.

I put a Pierce finger groove insert on my Colt Defender. Made for a terrific improvement in handling. I may add one to the EMP. Though, it being "only" 9mm, I don't know as it'll be necessary. I'll see after I try the new grip panels.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Maybe VZ Grips?
He might be able to make what you need if the ones he now makes aren't in stock.

https://vzgrips.com/shop-all/s...ringfield-emp-grips/

Posts: 22890 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Maybe VZ Grips?

Some EMP owners have gone with VZ Grips, but they do only G10. I wanted wood. But thanks for the suggestion, anyway Smile