SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 front strap grooves
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 front strap grooves Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone else feel like the front strap grooves on the P226 are going in the wrong direction? It seems to me that traction would be much improved by vertical-running grooves, as opposed to horizontal. I intend to get some skateboard tape for mine, but have yet to get around to it.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I don't. In fact, I detest vertical grooves because they sometimes interfere with rotating my fingers around the grip into a proper firing position. I also don't see how vertical grooves help prevent the pistol from sliding down in my hand under recoil.

Horizontal grooves for me.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47420 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I do. Horizontal grooves are about useless to me. If you're not going to give me checkered, at least give me vertical.

Q

Posts: 26506 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
for the most part, I find plane groves horizontal or verticle useless.

Checkering is where it is at.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. Ultimately I'd prefer checkering. If I had to have one or the other though, give me vertical.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the P226 Legend, and mine is checkered

Posts: 39 | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My P226 has a checkered front strap. Wonder when they changed?

Posts: 1256 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I don't. In fact, I detest vertical grooves because they sometimes interfere with rotating my fingers around the grip into a proper firing position. I also don't see how vertical grooves help prevent the pistol from sliding down in my hand under recoil.

Horizontal grooves for me.

I take the interference to rotating as mission accomplished for the vertical orientation of the grooves. I don't want the grip rotating in my hand during recoil...I've never understood the function of horizontal grooves.

What keeps the pistol from sliding down in your hand under recoil should be the tang/bevertail and the torque from your support hand as you extend your thumb forward

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14188 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
It's worth noting that the early P226 front strap gripping ridges were originally vertical, and SIG transitioned later P226s to the horizontal ones.

Although checkering would probably be best, of the two standard options, I prefer the horizontal ones...but I've been able to make both work.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I was waiting for someone to mention this.

Here's the cover of Guns&Ammo, May, 1985.

Posts: 107750 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well shoot. I wish they would have stayed vertical. Oh well. Seems like there's just as many folks who like the horizontal though.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
for the most part, I find plane groves horizontal or verticle useless.

Checkering is where it is at.

Agree totally on the groove stuff. However, I use a narrow strip of skateboard tape on all my classic Sigs. Works as well as checkering.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps when frame production moved to the USA they started the grooves. My checkered frame was mde in Germany.

Posts: 1256 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No, the change was made well before that.

Posts: 107750 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but rotation in my hand is either simply not happening (when I shoot) or desirable (I still shift my hand a bit to hit the magazine release, and I feel better knowing the magazine release is that far out of the way). I honestly have no idea what vertical grooves are supposed to accomplish. I can feel horizontal grooves helping when I press the grip back into my lower palm with my lower fingers.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:

Agree totally on the groove stuff. However, I use a narrow strip of skateboard tape on all my classic Sigs. Works as well as checkering.

I do the same.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACP1:
Perhaps when frame production moved to the USA they started the grooves. My checkered frame was mde in Germany.

As Para rightly points out, the change was made long before U.S. production began. I'd guestimate sometime around the transition to Herndon imports.

Out of curiosity, what model do you have that was checkered in Germany before U.S. manufacturing began?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:
Originally posted by ACP1:

As Para rightly points out, the change was made long before U.S. production began. I'd guestimate sometime around the transition to Herndon imports.

Herndon imports for sure. The production P228 started in 1988, a year after the move to Herndon, and it has always had the horizontal grooved front strap.

Q

Posts: 26506 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The vertical to horizontal front strap grooves on the p226 started on German guns. My 1988 has the vertical and a friend of mine liked my p226 so much he bought one. His was also a triple serial numbered German gun. He bought it new around 1992. Also another change I noticed on his gun was the feed ramp was different from mine. Mine was narrower with almost guard rails on the ramp to guide the round. His was wider and lacked the guide rails on the feed ramp.

Posts: 270 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
E26R-40-BSE, 20-JAN-2009, Blue Box, Exeter-NH.
Changed to Sig 357.