SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What does your range time look like these days?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What does your range time look like these days? Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I’m shooting very little. And my skills aren’t degrading much if any. I shot a 800 round class a couple weeks ago and was happy with my performance.

The reason is because I have a solid dry fire program that allows me to put in the work. Some people have scoffed in the past when I would say “dry fire is where the heavy lifting is done”. This shortage is proving my point. You don’t have to have the coolest computerized gadget or laser device to make gains. It just takes solid fundamentals and an understanding of HOW to put the work in. And these days, there is a ton of good literature from Steve Anderson and others that you don’t even have to take a class in how to dry fire.

I put in half hour a day (sometimes more) three days a week. (I have stopped training with anything other than a Glock, though)

I just live fire enough each week to verify what I am doing in dry fire is working. Two of us shot yesterday afternoon and burned maybe 40 rounds of 9mm.

For most shooters, and I’ll say this in generalities, burning live ammo is a metric by way work is measured. It’s not the case for most shooters. Excessive live fire has its uses but it’s not where the heavy lifting gets done.

This.

I don’t practice near as much a Jerry, just a few times a month. Last range trip was February, only fired off 150 rounds of 9mm through two new guns and an existing upper on a new Custom Works P320 FCU. That along with another 100 rounds or so through a new Buckmaster were the first live rounds I’ve fired in over 9 months.

Everything went right where they were supposed to and felt good.

I’ve got a fair supply of ammo, but not knowing how long this is going to last I’m holding on to it. Dry fire keeps the skills up and is certainly a lot cheaper these days.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tend to tailor my practice around what my upcoming shooting events will be. I have always enjoyed 22’s and my match calendar is pretty heavy with .22 events so that is what I practice most. However, in about 6 weeks I have a big pistol match ( meaning a fairly costly entry fee and the potential to win prizes) so will burn center fire ammo in a few practices to get dialed in before the match.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are still making our twice per month range trip. 50-75 round practice sessions. We have different courses of fire for the outdoor and indoor ranges that we belong to. Also incorporate a 2x per week dry fire practice routine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
What does your range time look like these days?

It doesn’t. Frown

Dry fire, and saving every round I have.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Dry fire. I supplement that with a "ragged hole drill" every so often. 5 rounds slow fire at a 1" square from 5 yds. That confirms my trigger control and my sight alignment. The dry fire from the holster with the timer keeps the speed in presentation. I need to do more.
I also used the shortage as an excuse to buy a Glock 44 in 22lr. It's an exact replica of my 9mm Glock 19, right down to fitting in the same holster. I have 22 that I am comfortable burning through so I just need to do it.
I will put a couple of hundred rounds of .45 through the TRP, just to break it in. After that, it will be relegated to shooting demos when I'm not paying for ammo (3-10 rounds a class).

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
I supplement that with a "ragged hole drill" every so often.

That is a useful confirmation drill that uses little ammunition.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My saving grace is that I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn when the pandemic began, so I fully expect the same capability in speed and accuracy when the madness ends, too.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
My saving grace is that I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn when the pandemic began, so I fully expect the same capability in speed and accuracy when the madness ends, too.

It’s all about consistency you have this thing licked. Smile Wink

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:

It’s all about consistency you have this thing licked. Smile Wink

Big Grin! Now that it's getting nicer out, I plan to re-allocate some of my range time to fishing...so I can get sunburt while not catching fish and my shooting will still suck!

RNShooter, that ragged hole drill is a good one. I need to do that more.

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My range time is null and void!! I have asthma, and to wear a mask is a real problem for me. It takes all the fun out of going to the range. I have adequate ammo to go and shoot, but will just wait.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
It’s a 45 and a pistol. The boys like to shoot it as well. I’m also not worried about finding ammo for it as I have over 2100 caps, together with powder, balls, etc. That’s a lot of shooting for a smoke pole (even with a Hawken rifle to go with it).

On a serious side, I do dry fire the Nano regularly. The long double action seems to make me a better shot.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Range time? What is that? We have some ammo, and have been able to refresh stock of some cartridges, including plenty enough defensive 9mm. There is, however, that other elephant in the room. My wife has several serious co-morbidities, and I probably have one. We have been staying away from most activities that bring us near other people.

I have been dry-firing, and managed one brief live-fire session, in a remote area, in 2020. I am planning another road trip to remote public land, soon.

Because I need live-fire training, to maintain proficiency with Glocks triggers, I have put the Glocks away.

Plus, I have been drilling, solo, with some serious non-firearm defensive tactics. This social climate is NOT a good time to be involved in a defensive shooting, especially as I am recently-retired from LEO-ing, and any search engine could quickly show that I have used deadly force, during my career. Now, of course, I have no union staff attorneys, or other official support, and, to make it worse, live in a county with a DA that came into office during the 2016 “blue wave.”

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My girlfriend and I manage to hit the range every other week. She is quite good at finding ammo at various pawn shops and small mom and pop gun stores in her small town.

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints

Posts: 43 | Registered: March 05, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
It’s a 45 and a pistol.

Something is wrong in that picture. Isn't there some kind of requirement to have a parrot on one's shoulder when firing that pistol?

posted Hide Post
Maybe once a month vs once a week in the past. Seems like the ammo supply is loosening up.
And no competitions last year - hoping to finally do my first one soon this year.

Posts: 183 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I haven't fired a round in 11 months. At this point punching holes in paper would feel like ransacking my rare coin collection for a McDonald's cheeseburger.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
It’s a 45 and a pistol.

Something is wrong in that picture. Isn't there some kind of requirement to have a parrot on one's shoulder when firing that pistol?

^^^
The funny thing is that for the picture, I actually had him stand that way “like a pirate.” In reality, we will shoot it just like a SIG and practice all the modern techniques; we just have a break between each shot.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aaargh, matey.

posted Hide Post
Well I just finished up gearing my Hornady LnL AP fpr 9mm and loaded 1700 rds i have accumulated over the last couple of years , so now I can walk to my range behind the house and Practice without getting into my stash of factory ammo. Just shot 80rds the day before yesterday. Shot my 6.5 CM some yesterday working on my loads for it because my local long range shooting is kicking off next month once the rancher moves his calves out of that pasture. They shoot easily out to 1200 yds, and can do longer if needed.

Posts: 449 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Other than two rounds of skeet in October, today was the first time on a range to fire since Jan. 2020. Ninety rounds of mixed 40, using the new G22. Felt good, still tend to shoot a bit left and slightly low as with any Glock. Range appeared to have some ammo, a few firearms, for sale. About 1/3 of the lanes were in use.

May be going back next week. I enjoyed the time today.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post