SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Well…thought I was done buying for a while….New Colt Python!!**Update…bought another** (see page 2)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well…thought I was done buying for a while….New Colt Python!!**Update…bought another** (see page 2) Login/Join 
posted
With all the news of the introduction of the new High Power by SA my brother & I were discussing what we were interested in buying in the future. I had bought some very nice and expensive guns the last 15 months or so, the latest being a CZ TSO and a S2O, neither being exactly cheap, but both set the bar pretty high. My next guns would probably be a SA High Power, an AR-10 and maybe a new Colt Python. I hadn’t owned a wheel gun in a long time. My one and only was a long gone Super Single Six which I really liked but had to go due to cash flow problems. A call to my not-so-local mega gun store here in southern Michigan was met with a ‘not in stock, and a VERY LONG waiting list’ reply. Not a problem because I wanted to wait anyhow.

Imagine my surprise when I stopped by my local Sportsman’s Warehouse after work today when I spotted the stainless revolver with the distinctive rib! As an added bonus both barrel lengths were on display. After checking them out and talking to the counter guys I decided to think it over. After dinner I went back and decided to buy the 6” barrel version (luckily they were both there still Wink .

Initial impressions are that it is absolutely gorgeous!! Beautiful revolver with excellent fit & finish. Trigger is smooth as silk in DA, with just a slight increase in pull weight as you pull through. SA is very crisp. It isn’t as light as the triggers on my CZs in particular, but I can’t imagine a smoother trigger. I chose the 6” because I am not going to carry it as it will be a range toy. While both lengths tended to hang nose heavy the shorter was obviously better balanced. However I felt the longer barrel fit my needs just a bit better. As I am clearly not a revolver guy my opinions are worth what you paid for them Big Grin.

First range trip is tomorrow! Looking forward to trying some .38 Spl as well as some 110 gr .357.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sprg03-A3,

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on finding one, any pics?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Congratulations on finding one, any pics?

Will post some tomorrow Wink.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice! Gotta love a new wheelgun...especially that one. Looking forward to the range report and pics!

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I just got one myself. Smile

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Saw a 6” nickel in Volusia, very nice looking but asking 1999.00$ for it. Wonder what they are going for elsewhere

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
Saw a 6” nickel in Volusia, very nice looking but asking 1999.00$ for it. Wonder what they are going for elsewhere

Average is $1600 in the Atlanta area.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$1499 I believe is the suggested price. That is what I paid for mine.

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACP1:
$1499 I believe is the suggested price. That is what I paid for mine.

Mine was tagged at the same price but I received a 5% discount. 4.25" was priced the same.

posted Hide Post
Bit of a mixed bag with my first range trip today. Very accurate until I started having a problem with the rear sight becoming loose. I noticed that POI began to shift to the left as I shot. Upon adjusting the rear sight I noticed the blade and the base both had slop. Ended up with the rear sight adjusted all the way to the right to have POI=POA. When I took it back to the Sportsmans Warehouse all they were willing to do at this time was to re-center the rear sight and tighten the set screw. The blade was tighter but there is still a bit of play in the base. Next trip to the range will tell.

Other than that it was really fun to shoot. I like the sight picture although they are a bit more coarse than I am used to lately. Eyes aren't what they used to be either. Double action trigger was very smooth but there was a noticeable difference in pull weight as you neared the break. Single action was excellent!. All that being said I have to admit that my hands are pretty beat up from pulling wrenches for 38 years and that I have been shooting a CZ TSO and lightly tuned CS Shadow 2s, including an S2O and an AccuShadow lately. My opinion is worth what you paid for it Razz.

Shooting mainly Winchester 110gr hollow point .357 I found the recoil to be noticeable, but not a big deal. Doesn't recoil as much as my SIG P220 SAO Elite 10mm for example. Shooting 38spl was a breeze. Was pretty cool watching the flame shoot out of the cylinder gap!

Overall the new Python was a lot of fun to shoot although the rear sight issue is a disappointment. I am coming to the conclusion that combat rear sights are a much better sight than adjustable target sights.

posted Hide Post
Couple of pictures. Sorry.... Can't take a decent picture of a pistol no matter how hard I try...

(GOD I HATE Imgur Mad Mad )

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to have one of those. If I had an original classic then I wouldn't shoot it probably. A new one would be nice. It looks beautiful and look forward to a range report.

Nice pickup!

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I would like to have one of those. If I had an original classic then I wouldn't shoot it probably. A new one would be nice. It looks beautiful and look forward to a range report.

Nice pickup!

Thank you! Posted a range report 4 posts above.

posted Hide Post
Well don’t I feel silly now. Lol

I just apparently looked at the pretty pictures and posted.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Well don’t I feel silly now. Lol

I just apparently looked at the pretty pictures and posted.

Not a problem Smile. Hope it was worth the read. Take care!

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That's a big hunk of iron...I imagine it's quite comfortable even with hot magnum loads. That iron sight radius should make for great target accuracy, too. I've never shot a Python...I'd love to try one some day and see what the hype is all about, and how it stacks up shootability-wise to my Smiths and my Rugers.

Sorry about the sight troubles, but at least it sounds like something that should be pretty simple to correct.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
I handled a few at the gun show this past weekend. felt nice, well built but typical show prices, 1800-2k.

I have an older Python Elite. they are amazing weapons. enjoy

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enjoy you new Python! Smile

I am very tempted by the 2020 Pythons. I would rather that the finish be matte, rather than brightly polished, but user reports are quite favorable.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
They are more brushed than polished.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!