SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    High Standard Victor, my grail 22!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High Standard Victor, my grail 22! Login/Join 
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted
So this happened today!
I've always wanted the Victor. I love the gold controls on it, the slide action is slick as the S&W 41 and the trigger is well, infookingcredible.

I finally found one that I considered reasonable.
This is a late production Connecticut gun.
About 1982.
Whoever had this never shot it. It was very clean and very dry on the insides.

I put 20 through it before it got dark. I have to say I'm spoiled now and Marzy is getting the Buckmark.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Most of the time the hunt becomes its own reward.

This one looks like it is going to be fun!

Posts: 9141 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice one, back in the day High Standard made some beautiful 22s.

Posts: 3212 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
When I'd shoot 22 bullseye way back when, it was either a S&W 41 or a Victor showing up that took high score every time.
The Rugers and Brownings always got beat.

The trigger on my Browning Challenger is just as good though, but not settable like the Victor.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Very nice target gun. You surely need to get a carbide sight smoker because black iron sights look their best against a black target when they are very defined.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^Went down Memory Lane a little, at one auction/sales site. Those oldies but goodies cost more than new models. Smile Might even look around for HS products at a show this weekend. Grandma had a Sentinel, for "just in case".

Posts: 3212 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Excellent score, love the older 22's...

They had a 41 in the case at the LGS today, too busy to ask to see it, will have to go back by and check it out, tax return season is here, so gun sales are up...

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. Nice score!

Not being familiar with that particular High Standard, but very familiar with my 41, I have to say, the Smith seems to be a near direct copy.

quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
They had a 41 in the case at the LGS today, too busy to ask to see it, will have to go back by and check it out, tax return season is here, so gun sales are up...

I hope it's in great shape at a great price for you.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I think the Victor, same as my Olympic has a trigger adjustment screw in the back of its frame. One can lighten that trigger down to where breathing on it will make it fire.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
So glad you finally tracked one down, SC!
The bluing looks incredible.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
lovely pistols,

got a few High Standards (and a 41 Smith) myself

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
There's a 1956 Supermatic I wanna try and pick up.
It's as clean as this one.

This is another that was inherited from grandad's collection and saw it as quick cash.
No appreciation of these fine old pistols.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I approve of this thread.Big Grin

Love em too.

Never ever shoot what I have anymore, but still want to buy every one I see.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great photos of a beautiful pistol.

One of my neighbors has a High Standard. We shoot together. He tells me that High Standard pistols can suffer broken frames if high velocity ammo is used. I use Aguila Pistol Match in my Beretta 87 Target. It’s at the low end of standard velocity. I’m not worried about frame breakage of my Beretta – I like the round for other reasons.

A rimfire central article, “Why High Standard frames crack”.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com...frames-crack.576041/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Another great find. Congrats!

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4929 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Thanks for the great photos of a beautiful pistol.

One of my neighbors has a High Standard. We shoot together. He tells me that High Standard pistols can suffer broken frames if high velocity ammo is used. I use Aguila Pistol Match in my Beretta 87 Target. It’s at the low end of standard velocity. I’m not worried about frame breakage of my Beretta – I like the round for other reasons.

A rimfire central article, “Why High Standard frames crack”.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com...frames-crack.576041/

Oh fantastic info!
I only shoot standard velocity and match 22 ammunition.
It appears folks were shooting stingers in them.

I definitely will take it easy on the vintage gun.

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
That's a beauty.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
BTW – my neighbour (with the High Standard) has a tool to shape the lips of his magazines. I don’t know where he got it. My fuzzy understanding about it’s use:

High Standard pistols rely on the magazine lips (more than other .22 pistols) to guide the round into the chamber because the feed ramp is quite short.

At least that’s my understanding. Fuzzy, I repeat.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
He has been looking at this pistol for months. I mean, he has handled it more when he comes by to spoil Tabitha's bird than the original owner ever did.

It has sat lonely in the case for a very long time as beautiful as it is as plastic crap just flows out the door.

People now are completely clueless just how amazing these old guns are.

I absolutely am envious of it. I can;t ait to play with it and it most certainly will be out at the next GA SigShoot.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34107 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just beautiful.
Congratulations.
I always thought these had a leg up over the S&W41.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post