SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    byf 41 (Mauser) Luger
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

byf 41 (Mauser) Luger Login/Join 
posted
Picked this up last weekend at a very large gunshow. My (first) Luger. All matching, save the magazine, which while correct for this late production, is numbered to a totally different Luger. Includes original Bakelite grips, making it a so-called Nazi "Black Widow." Solidly in the very good condition range and unmessed with. I managed to snag some Mec-Gar magazines to shoot. And I WILL shoot it, at least a bit.

Below are some nice pix, which took a while to take, AFTER I carefully cleaned and lubricated the Luger. Such an elegant, if over-engineering, design. Piece of history.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What? The Germans over-engineered a weapon? Heresy!

That is a magnificent specimen. Always wanted one, but it was cheaper getting into P38s.

Posts: 4657 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures. Something I forgot to tell you. Do NOT dry fire a Luger. To de-cock the pistol bring the toggle up until it stays bent on it's own. Then pull the trigger and it will release the striker and not cause any damage to the breach block.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
Nice pictures. Something I forgot to tell you. Do NOT dry fire a Luger. To de-cock the pistol bring the toggle up until it stays bent on it's own. Then pull the trigger and it will release the striker and not cause any damage to the breach block.

Thanks to p08 for all of his help throughout this process...

By nature I RARELY dry fire (for basic concerns with it never being a good idea) = I'm a fan of snap caps. I'm sure I have 4-5 times, but at 80+ yeard old, I'm sure it has been dry-fired plenty over the decades. But it won't anymore.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a classic! And in great condition, too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful Luger. I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!!!!

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll echo the praise for your picture-taking ability. Those photos do your Luger justice!

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the compliments, it is a fine pistol and piece of history. I had to work to figure out how to take good pix, which is, for some reason, known to be tricky for Lugers.

posted Hide Post
Please don’t shoot modern 9mm cartridges, rather subsonics or mild reloaded cartridges.
If you want to keep it numbers matching, change your original extractor for another one. Might it break, you don’t break the matching number one.
Handle it with care, it is a piece of history.
Enjoy and congrats!
Spares are available here in Europe (CDS Ehrenreich).

Posts: 62 | Registered: January 02, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Did you get teh magazine tool? If not, pick one up, makes loading a lot easier. Cheers

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, just ordered a mini-set of Wolf replacement springs, new extractor, repro take down tool (for loading mags), and plastic black widow grips. The original Bakelite grips and extractor will come off for limited shooting...

Picture of usp_fan
posted Hide Post
Wow! Beautiful pistol you found

Posts: 2504 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: March 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Very nice 41', I think the black grips are the best looking.
Great find.

Posts: 1551 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post