SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 X-Five Tactical Thread Barrel Protector removal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 X-Five Tactical Thread Barrel Protector removal Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
I've had the issue one time before. The Thread protector does it's job too well, Razz

It's will not budge. I'm trying some Kroils, but so far, no go.

I'm also not confident which way it should be turned to come off. My memory doesn't serve me well in this case.

Any advice how to get this off?

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm also not confident which way it should be turned to come off. My memory doesn't serve me well in this case.

Usually clockwise to unscrew. Use channel locks & just purchase a new one. Always use Shotgun Choke tube lube, AR muzzle brake lube or similar Hi Temp impregnated grease to facilitate removal.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4284 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
So, found the invoice for the thread protector. It says the thread protector is left hand thread so that would mean clockwise to loosen then as you said?

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:

Usually clockwise to unscrew. Use channel locks & just purchase a new one. Always use Shotgun Choke tube lube, AR muzzle brake lube or similar Hi Temp impregnated grease to facilitate removal.

Thanks! Thought I had lubbed this the last time I put it on, but not with Shotgun Choke tube lube, used Slide Glide which is obviously not working.

Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
GOT IT!! Thank you! I was using channel locks but then had a crisis of confidence regarding the direction of rotation when it just wouldn't move. It's good to have confirmation.

posted Hide Post
I use silver anti-seize.... A bit messy to apply as it seems to get on everything. But, I find the viscosity tends to "block" carbon from getting into the threading.

Just my $0.02 and experience.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 864 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Thanks much!