SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Rock Island 1911's...your opinions please...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rock Island 1911's...your opinions please... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I like Paul's videos but that was an odd one. First he went into a long bit about whether the RIA mag would work in the Colt and vise versa. Of course they do. Then he went on about how the Colt is better because it has a drop safety. Giving the impression that this is a standard feature on newer 1911s. When in fact very few 1911s have a firing pin block and most 1911 owners hate the added feature. One real difference between RIA and Colt that he didn't discuss was fit and finish. I like my RIA but they have some sharp edges.
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
A well timed question. See the review below from yesterday.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/809ttTh9XUM

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fundman,

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I was sad that I was not as impressed as so many were before me. Mine was kinda finnicky and I just never warmed up to the finish/ feel. My basic model Kimber feels light years better in the hand. I am beginning to believe that especially in the 1911 world, you get what you pay for, though there are diamonds in the rough I’m sure.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
I want to get the XT 22 Target in .22mag if I can find one locally. I see a few that I can order online but would prefer to find a good deal where I can fondle it first.

Posts: 731 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard pass.

Posts: 239 | Registered: April 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Low cost, reliable. Will not feel bad about scratches.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I had one and it was rock solid. Fed anything I fed it and was reliable.

I actually wish I had never sold it.

It was the basic GI model, but they have a polished ramp, wide throated barrel, beveled mag well and open ejector port.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
A well timed question. See the review below from yesterday.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/809ttTh9XUM

I haven't seen this review, but I always enjoy Paul Harrell's videos.

As for the Rock ... I own one in 9MM. I also own a Wilson, Sig, Kimber and Taurus 1911's. And this gun, in my opinion is as good as the rest. True ... the finish isn't anywhere near as nice as on my Wilson, Sig, and Kimber, but other than that, it just works. Every time. No break in period like my other Kimber had.

I my honest opinion, RIA's are fine guns for the money.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
My RIA .45 is actually a pretty good gun for the money. It had some FTF's when new, but a couple hundred rounds of ball ironed that out and it's been nearly flawless since then. It feeds all the HP rounds that I've tried too. Came with one 8rd magazine that's worked fine. The trigger is even pretty good, not super light at just under 5# but nice and crisp.

The only issue I've had with it is now and then the slide will lock back before the magazine is empty. I don't THINK I'm riding the slide release, but not completely sure. The rear face of the slide release isn't dimpled for the plunger to grab hold of, so it wouldn't take a lot of upward pressure to engage it.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy who got one and put a bunch of Wilson combat parts into it, pretty much gutted the whole gun. Thing is a total sleeper, it’s still a cheap ass looking 1911 but it shoots nice and he didn’t put much money into the whole thing

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
I bought a full sized 9mm a couple of years ago and couldn't be happier. It has been 100% reliable and is quite accurate.

+1 for the very same pistol.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Good to see you posting Bill, how are you surviving the shut down?

quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
I bought a full sized 9mm a couple of years ago and couldn't be happier. It has been 100% reliable and is quite accurate.

+1 for the very same pistol.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Hi Max, doing well hope you are too. Stopped by the shop Tuesday for a transfer.

Stay healthy!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post