SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Hi Power experts needed*pic heavy*
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hi Power experts needed*pic heavy* Login/Join 
With bad intent
posted
Was wanting to add a shooter grade Hi Power to my collection, ran across this one and it wasnt priced much more than refinished Israeli trade in.

I was planning on sending it off for a beavertail and some other modfications but after getting it I feel like this sample is better off with a collector. Any ideas on what it is, what the proofs mean or approx value would be appreciated.

Best I can tell its a mod fifties Austrian Police contract pistol. Everything is original, including the 2 mags that match the Austrian Police stampings. No import marks. Only detractions are the magazine disconnect is gone and there are a few marks on top of the slide and sides. Otherwise, Id say its in pretty damn good shape for a gun of this type and year. If anyone here happens to have the magazine disconnect from this vintage, id happily buy it from you to get it back to its original form.

Proof marks, from what I gather the partial square with a number indicate the year of manufacture and the partial square depending on which side is missing will indicate the quarter in which it was produced?

Magwell

Left side:

Trigger guard:

Front Strap:

Barrel:

Left slide:

Magazines:

Rear breach block

This message has been edited. Last edited by: WARPIG602,

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The import stamp is on the bottom of the magazine well. That is a very nice pre-62 Hi-Power. I don't think I'd modify it.

Posts: 1751 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by squid8286:
The import stamp is on the bottom of the magazine well. That is a very nice pre-62 Hi-Power. I don't think I'd modify it.

Any idea on the importer? I could barely make out the FN35 part of the stamp

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
After further review, looks like CDI Swan VT

posted Hide Post
You're on the right track moving that one to a collector and getting one of the Israeli surplus ones to modify. I had one of those for a while, but it didn't come with matching numbered magazines. You might be able to pay for the Israeli surplus one and most if not all of the modifications with what you can get from that one.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you could get a pretty penny for that one. If I was to modify a Hipower, I would get a later model Mark III with the cast frame.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did it come with any kind of holster?

Posts: 1751 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
No, no box either

A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I can't answer any of your questions, just saying that is a nice score on classic pistol. And very good pics.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a few Hi Powers, but am not the expert on pricing. I'm guessing you cut out some of the digits of the S/N correct, i.e. it's not a 3 digit serial number?

From watching Gunbroker, the Nazi era Hi Powers seem to command the higher prices. Then T Series in excellent shape are pretty pricy. My guess is that if you put it on Gunbroker, bet you'd get over $1,000 for it. Some people collect the various military contract Hi Powers and somebody might be looking for an Austrian one.

Great job on the photos.

This link has some info that might help. Hope it's ok to link off-site ... I'm new around here.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=941041

Posts: 6 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 02, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
It's actually 3 digits. I believe when FN did contract runs they broke from their traditional serial number system.

posted Hide Post
You are right. I realized that ... after I posted. Some people just like low serial numbers, especially on Gunbroker. I've recently seen some crazy high buys from people with purchase histories of less than 5. Heck, maybe you could get 1200 on GB. It's a very nice Hi Power... and your photographic skills were on display. Smile

Posts: 6 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 02, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When Ted Yost was working with Jason at Heirloom. Jason and I went through 4 high powers, some surplus, some US guns. The biggest issue is that the browning highpower has only one locking point, ther is no barrel link like a 1911. The lugs on the underside of the slide are the single locking point. If high pressure (+p or +p+) or heavy sub-bullets are used regularly, the lugs on the slide will round over. At that point, it deteriorates quickly. Standard pressure 115, and 124's are fine. So, before deciding to send it off. Take a close look at the underlugs on the slide. They should be sharp. If they are rounded over, I would pass on it for special treatment. If they are fine, then this is a perfect candidate to tinker with. No box or papers so the collector value has taken a serious hit, Importer mark, so it has taken another hit.

The lower left is my 5th high power, a 65 T series that Ted Yost went through. The Upper right is my 6th highpower a 94/95 40sw/357 sig conversion that Fletcher custom went over.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
When Ted Yost was working with Jason at Heirloom. Jason and I went through 4 high powers, some surplus, some US guns. The biggest issue is that the browning highpower has only one locking point, ther is no barrel link like a 1911. The lugs on the underside of the slide are the single locking point. If high pressure (+p or +p+) or heavy sub-bullets are used regularly, the lugs on the slide will round over. At that point, it deteriorates quickly. Standard pressure 115, and 124's are fine. So, before deciding to send it off. Take a close look at the underlugs on the slide. They should be sharp. If they are rounded over, I would pass on it for special treatment. If they are fine, then this is a perfect candidate to tinker with. No box or papers so the collector value has taken a serious hit, Importer mark, so it has taken another hit.

The lower left is my 5th high power, a 65 T series that Ted Yost went through. The Upper right is my 6th highpower a 94/95 40sw/357 sig conversion that Fletcher custom went over.

I love the dehorning and stippling on the Fletcher and the beavertail on the Yost. I definitely need a beavertail on mine and dont really care for the diving board straight beavertails I see on most.

Im not overly worried about the value. All said and done, Im into this for about 700.00. I've seen a few listed in worse shape between 1400-1600. As mentioned above, maybe I can find a nice MKIII and cover some of the work for what ican sell this one for. Hell, Id be happy to just cover the the cost of a 2 tone practical.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Do you have any more pics of the Fletcher?

posted Hide Post
Yes I do. The Fletcher gun was him fixing quite a bit that another local smith had done.

ION bond coating, Cut reweld a new beavertail, Redo the stippling, Raise the stippling on both sides, redo the trigger, 2 dot sights, Fit the 357 sig kart barrel (longest part of the wait), slight melt, new fire control parts, left side only safety. Half dozen other little bits.
His picture.

mine

I think he closed down his website a while back. It feels great in the hand and handles both 40 and 357sig just beautifully. The reasoning for stippling is often a couple of reasons. First the placement of the serial on the front strap. The second reason is that often there is not enough material to checker the rear or the front strap even if the serial is not there. I was lucky that the 65 T-Series had enough metal for checkering. Differences between the two. Well, the Yost is hands down my favorite. I carry the fletcher more. I am more accurate with the Yost by a good bit, That does not mean the Fletcher is less accurate at all. 50 cent piece sized groups at 35 ft for the Fletcher versus 50ft for the Yost. The Yost is using the original browning barrel just recrowned. For carry, the Fletcher takes it. The harder finish and my familiarity with 40sw / 357 sig just makes it one of my favorite carry guns.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Do I understand correctly that you intend on customizing this pistol, this Austrian police High Power?

Posts: 107615 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Do I understand correctly that you intend on customizing this pistol, this Austrian police High Power?

That was my original intent. I didnt know exactly wht it was until I got it. Initially, the seller said he had a mid fifties hi power and sent a couple pics. Looked fairly clean and I thought it was a good candidate for a custom job. After getting it and seeing some of the markings I wasnted to figure out exaclty what it was before I ruined an otherwise collectible gun.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Yes I do. The Fletcher gun was him fixing quite a bit that another local smith had done.

ION bond coating, Cut reweld a new beavertail, Redo the stippling, Raise the stippling on both sides, redo the trigger, 2 dot sights, Fit the 357 sig kart barrel (longest part of the wait), slight melt, new fire control parts, left side only safety. Half dozen other little bits.
His picture.

I think he closed down his website a while back. It feels great in the hand and handles both 40 and 357sig just beautifully. The reasoning for stippling is often a couple of reasons. First the placement of the serial on the front strap. The second reason is that often there is not enough material to checker the rear or the front strap even if the serial is not there. I was lucky that the 65 T-Series had enough metal for checkering. Differences between the two. Well, the Yost is hands down my favorite. I carry the fletcher more. I am more accurate with the Yost by a good bit, That does not mean the Fletcher is less accurate at all. 50 cent piece sized groups at 35 ft for the Fletcher versus 50ft for the Yost. The Yost is using the original browning barrel just recrowned. For carry, the Fletcher takes it. The harder finish and my familiarity with 40sw / 357 sig just makes it one of my favorite carry guns.

Yep, I like everyhting about that one. The Yost beavertail is my prefernce but that dehorn work is perfect. I assume hes still taking work?

posted Hide Post
I dont think he is. Mine was about 18month wait. Ted yost, Gartwaite (sp) can do all of the same work. Though i said yours was a good candidate before, i had not read the whole thread. I would contact ted and garthwaite and see if they have a practical you can snag for work.