SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    38 Super anyone?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

38 Super anyone? Login/Join 
posted
I have this beauty which was done up by Don Williams. While at the range testing a new Staccato C, Sig 365, and Glock 19 all with red dots, I pulled this beauty out at the end of the day and banged away at steel with open sights.

I’m pretty good with red dots on pistols, but I have to say, I did just as well if not better with the custom Colt. The all steel gun just handled the recoil much better and came back on target faster. If she were not so damned heavy, she would be in my carry rotation Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: usncorpsman,

Posts: 1099 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Oh how could that be heavy? Cinch up your gun belt sir. That gun would be a comfortable carry. Kart is a nice addition. Do you know what the finish is? I'm guessing cerakote due to the rubs atop barrel hood. Its a very nice Colt.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Oh how could that be heavy? Cinch up your gun belt sir. That gun would be a comfortable carry. Kart is a nice addition. Do you know what the finish is? I'm guessing cerakote due to the rubs atop barrel hood. Its a very nice Colt.

There is no way I would carry this gun with the 365 being my main carry gun. Big Grin The finish is hard chrome. A gun this classy would refuse to fire if she had cerakote applied to her exterior parts……….lol Big Grin.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I wondered if it might be hard chrome as its the exact color of a limited production Model 29 I had plated in Berryville, Ar. many years back.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
That's a beauty!!
38 Super is my preferred round for just about everything.( I also have a 45 Super) As my old eyes continue to fail me, I've gone more & more to a red dot on a M&P 2.0 9mm but I can still hold my own with irons on my Supers...of the five I own, my two favorites are my Colt Competition series I've modified a bit & my DW Guardian
(the 45 Super is on the bottom. Had it since 1988)

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 704 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Colt Special Combat Government in .38 super. My first in that caliber and one of my favorite 1911s.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2750 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice Pistol.

I find the .38Super to be pretty accurate with my aging eyes also.

As I get older, I am still trying to decide if I want to go Red Dot on my handguns, or stick to iron sights. I will say that I need either FO front sights or a gold/brass dot for the front sight to stand out to me. NightSight front sights take too long for me to locate and align. Some of my revolver and older handgun front sights are a joke: see the iron sights on a Femaru 37 some day.

My problem is I like variety- so RedDot could get really expensive to have slides milled and get a new Red Dot for each handgun [plus, ruining historical value of older guns- like Brit contract Ballester Molina from 1942-43].

For .38Super, I have a RIA that works very well- but isn't a bragging rights gun.

I have a Caspian 1911 that I've built, and then made into a triple caliber handgun: .45, and .38Super/9mm on other top end. They all feed/fire reliably too. That one is pretty.

I liked .38Super so much I grabbed a .38Super American P220 about a year ago. Now, I just need to get some mag catch slots milled in the euro P220 .38Super mags.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tuned by Don Williams? let me know if you get tired of all that weight!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also a huge fan of the 38 Super

Posts: 133 | Location: Sutton, VT | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful Commander Doc.

My first 1911 was a commander. Foolishly sold it.

My FIL shoots a 2011 in 38Super comp. And it’s a tackdriver! Also is very loud…you can always tell the supercomps when they are shooting.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrbumps:
Also a huge fan of the 38 Super

Oh man that's a fine pistol.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Tuned by Don Williams? let me know if you get tired of all that weight!

I traded a Springfield Professional to get this beauty from a member here on the forum that I met many years ago. I’ve had the opportunity to do several trades with this fine gentleman. This one is staying with me Big Grin.

posted Hide Post
OP: that is a GORGEOUS 38 Super! Wish companies would offer that "old school" look again in a stainless steel package combined with forged parts.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
Wish companies would offer that "old school" look again in a stainless steel package combined with forged parts.

An Ed Brown can come pretty close in the "old school" department. Sadly, they discontinued .38 Super as a caliber option last fall. I recently sold my early 1980's Colt Combat Commander .38 Super to fund this lightly used model. After a trip back to EB for a facelift it's ready to go.

Posts: 3503 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Some nice 1911s posted here. I was looking for a Colt National Match in .45. I found 3 and everyone of those guns had a mushy feel to the thumb safety. Not sure why but they were awful. I stumbled on the Special Combat and it was perfect. ( it just happened to be .38 Super). I later found out that the Special Combat pistols are built in the Colt Custom Shop. This one was built in 2017. I have several nice 1911s and this one is on par with my Ed Browns,Guncrafter, and almost as nice as the Nighthawk. Again nice guns guys all of them .

Posts: 2750 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by got2hav1:
I found 3 and everyone of those guns had a mushy feel to the thumb safety. Not sure why but they were awful.

This short video illustrates the fitting of a Colt factory 1911 thumb safety. Not a lot of time goes into the process. It's interesting to note that even at the height of production, WW2 era 1911A1 pistols were shipped with well fitted thumb safeties.

Posts: 3503 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I would assume the custom shop pistols have a little more attention and it shows. Thanks for the video. Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bczrx:
Nice Pistol.

I find the .38Super to be pretty accurate with my aging eyes also.

As I get older, I am still trying to decide if I want to go Red Dot on my handguns, or stick to iron sights. I will say that I need either FO front sights or a gold/brass dot for the front sight to stand out to me. NightSight front sights take too long for me to locate and align. Some of my revolver and older handgun front sights are a joke: see the iron sights on a Femaru 37 some day.

My problem is I like variety- so RedDot could get really expensive to have slides milled and get a new Red Dot for each handgun [plus, ruining historical value of older guns- like Brit contract Ballester Molina from 1942-43].

For .38Super, I have a RIA that works very well- but isn't a bragging rights gun.

I have a Caspian 1911 that I've built, and then made into a triple caliber handgun: .45, and .38Super/9mm on other top end. They all feed/fire reliably too. That one is pretty.

I liked .38Super so much I grabbed a .38Super American P220 about a year ago. Now, I just need to get some mag catch slots milled in the euro P220 .38Super mags.

I also caught the ,38 super bug years ago and picked up a few P200s - two american release, one Euro release, and a BDA. Before you mill slots in the Euro mag, try using a P220 10mm mag. I posted the question earlier if these would work in the 9mm/38 super P220s I have. The answer came back YES. I have not tried it yet, but it may be worth the $40-50 to try it out.
PS - that's a great looking Caspian!

Posts: 465 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yup.

I kinda like having multiple pistols in .38 Super. Here is my most recent project:

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Don Williams has done up 3 Colts for me over the years, all 3 Government models. One was a Series 70 9mm, the other two Series 80 .45s. I had the first all hard chromed, the second Ionbond top over hard chrome frame, and the third all Ionbond.

I live close enough to him to hand deliver and pick up the work. He is a very enjoyable guy to talk with, and will take time out of his work to do so.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post