SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Taurus PT-25 Thoughts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taurus PT-25 Thoughts Login/Join 
posted
Thoughts on this little mouse gun? Is it as reliable as its Beretta competition? I have a lead on one locally with two mags and factory box for $190. Thoughts?

Posts: 752 | Registered: January 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not nearly as reliable as the Beretta, in my experience.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Second rate pistol chambered for an expensive, difficult to handload, comparatively feeble cartridge.

What’s not to like? Wink

Posts: 26846 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
The only one I have seen in captivity was at an indoor range and it had broken a firing pin.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I lime the DA aspect. However I would not trust the build quality to hold up for any kind of extended use.

Posts: 3122 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I had a Beretta Model 20 Bobcat in .25ACP. it wasn't terribly reliable (Grips broke, slide liked to fall off when you'd flip the barrel up). I don't imagine a Taurus would be any better.

Also, consider that .25 ACP ammo is not only anemic, it's hard to find and expensive (and I have no desire to try to reload that finger-crusher of a case...32 is bad enough). If my Bobcat had been in .22LR, I'd probably still have it, if only just for plinking, but due to the reliability issues and problems sourcing .25ACP, it got sold off years ago.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
One thought: no

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
#1 It's a Taurus.

#2 It's chambered in .25 ACP.

So I'm going to skip over "No" and go straight to "Hell no".

Posts: 32400 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Worst defensive caliber in history. A .22LR is a step up.

I'd say no.

Posts: 6659 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
#2 It's chambered in .25 ACP.

A centerfire, semi-rimmed cartridge ought to have better ignition and feeding reliability than .22LR. I have experienced far more duds with .22 than any centerfire. On paper, .22 has twice the "muzzle smash" of .25, but that is from rifle barrels, not the <2 inches of actual rifled bore in a pistol barrel.

But, it's still a Taurus. Razz

Posts: 27805 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one 20 years ago and it shot every time I pulled the trigger. For $100 it was ok.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it MUST be a 25 on this platform, I'd opt for the Beretta Jetfire. Mine goes bang every time I pull the trigger and it's never jammed (of course I have shot the crap out of it either). Now, at one time back in the 90s, I had a Beretta Model 21 in 22lr. This model has the DA trigger. I DID shoot the crap out of it and it never jammed! Stupidly, I sold it cheap to a fellow shooter who still has it.

One advantage a 25 acp has over a 22lr is that it's a semi-rimmed, centerfire round and, as such, will have more reliable ignition than a 22 lr rimfire. But I carry neither of these for SD and have instead chosen a Seecamp 32 acp and Winchester Silvertip ammo. Not trying to change your mind, OP, but look into one of these. Superb mouse gun!

Posts: 2005 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post