SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    “Niche’” older guns that you no longer shoot much but don’t want to sell
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“Niche’” older guns that you no longer shoot much but don’t want to sell Login/Join 
posted

I rarely shoot these three pistols, Hk P7 (9mm)l Detonics Combat Master (.45), Rohrbaugh 9mm, but I don’t want to sell them. I guess because you don’t see a lot of them around anymore. Time marches on!

Anyone else have any guns that don’t really serve any current purpose, but you still don’t want to sell? (Ok, I guess that’s a stupid question on this board. Of course you do).

Note: Parabellum, thanks for getting my picture posted!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Posts: 135 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: October 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a S&W 4054. Only 157 made.
I have shot it, but it now resides in my safe.

PC

Posts: 1340 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Hmm... I don't have time to list all 95% of them. Big Grin
It would be a very big list.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
OP, those are some nice "Niche" guns! I don't have anything quite that special. For me the ones that come to mind are my old straight-dustcover 92FS and a S&W 31-1 that I refinished. They are both good shooters, I have a lot of work and time invested in the Smith and the 92 was my first gun so I'll never sell it, but neither fills a particularly practical role in my lineup. They get shot occasionally, but just for fun.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I used to carry a Detonics CombatMaster,

it is a safe queen now,

mine is a Blued MkI,

I also used to carry a High Standard 22 mag derringer once in a while,

it too is a safe queen

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Couple come to mind…

A Beretta 1951. Completely “useless” from a modern pistol point of view, but I can’t help but see what it could have been, vs what it became. Keep it single stack, add a DA trigger and a frame mounted safety, and…

Anyway, I like it, think it’s cool, and have no desire to sell it.

Second is the plain old flat latch 36.

Just five rounds of .38 in a tidy little package. I love it for what it was at the time. I wouldn’t carry it now, but again, can’t even think of selling it….

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Jim that detonics is very cool. How does it shoot?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
My 2340 hasn’t been fired in at least fifteen years. My P232 was my CCW but after putting a slight scratch in the slide it was replaced with a Shield for carry at work.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rifle:
1906 Winchester 94 Standard Sporting Rifle in .32WS with Lyman tang rear sight and Ivory front bead. But I do shoot it once a year for nostalgia.
Handgun:
S&W Model 65 3 inch heavy barrel.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Niche? Perhaps my most 'niche' as with how I understand the word...my shiny NAA Guardian .380. As for why I keep it; must be due to its relatively cute appearance, because it surely ain't about its user-friendly shooting characteristics, because it done got none. Snaps like a demon in a mostly perturbing manner whenever I would shoot the thing, so nowadays I don't shoot it. Yet it's still in there...somewhere...in the confines of one of my safes.

As a rule I don't shoot .380 much at all these days, in part because it's one caliber I chose not to build stockpiles of but primarily because I generally have a distaste and no real need for the caliber when 9mm is far more ample and capable for the job (and is much cheaper to shoot to boot). Yet somehow over the years I ended up with over a half dozen or so pistols chambered in the stuff. Perhaps it's because I imagine myself telling my psyche that it would be the purrfect caliber for the wife, or because some pretty not-so-young-thang (such as a certain P232SL) outright bedazzled my noggin, disabling all sense of sound thought and logic. Like some head-over-heels love bug. So yeah, all of those .380s--including that special, sentimental M34 of my late dad's that he gave me--sit idle in their respective safes. And for whatever reason, I won't part with any of them.

There's others on the hiatus list as well, though whether they're niche might be cause for debate. My blued 4" Python. Early generation Glocks. My PSP. My Soviet caliber CZs. Many of my .45s, because for about the same cost of feeding I'd rather fling 10mm.

As for rifle, aside from my hunting guns about the only one I don't shoot much is my Henry lever in .357. It's fun and all, but it just eats up ammo as if it's gobbling .22LR. A wallet drainer fer sure...

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MikeinNC, the Detonics is very heavy for its size and thus shoots reasonably well, even though it’s not quite as reliable or refined for carry as something like a .45 S&W Shield. I bought the Detonics new in the early 80’s and sold it to a good friend in the late 80’s. Years later he “gifted” it back to me after I mentioned to him during a fishing trip that I thought it was a cool gun. Even though I rarely shoot it and have better carry guns, I will keep it for the memories.

Lyman, that’s quite a coincidence. I also had a High Standard .22 mag derringer in the late 70’s early 80’s, but I stupidly sold it. Those were also pretty cool little pocket guns for the time, even with a limited 2 round capacity. Wish I still had mine.

Stylophiles, good picture of an old S&W 36. I have my father’s flat latch 36 that he bought sometime in the mid 1950’s

92fstech - Nice looking older guns. I hate to admit it, but even though I have owned a LOT of pistols, I have never owned any Beretta 92. I do own some older Beretta’s in .380 and .22.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimacp,

Posts: 135 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: October 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I don't have any pictures of it, but my H&K PSP ranks right there. I'd shoot it more as it's one of the most accurate guns I own, but the top of the trigger shoe is extremely sharp and jabs into my finger when I shoot it.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somehow I ended up with a handful of P7/P7M8’s. Cool guns, good shooters, but I have to admit they have become so valuable that I rarely shoot my “shooter” P7. I always figure I’m going to trade them for something really nice that I want someday.

I kind of think my Beretta 87’s are kind of niche nowadays. They are pricy and Beretta hasn’t imported any in awhile. In fact I recently broke the firing pin on one of mine and it was a beast of a time trying to procure a replacement. So I think they aren’t importing them anymore based on my conversation with Beretta. So maybe I shouldn’t shoot it anymore but I probably still will.

Posts: 7498 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Interarms PPK/S in Stainless

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Just an fyi on the HK P7 series. Parts are now manufactured by HKPro7 . They can be found in the vendor section of HK Pro.
I have 2 of the 3 niche guns- P7 and Rohrbaugh.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that guy actually makes frames and can press fit barrels and piston cylinders. Basically make a brand new P7. Kinda cool.

Posts: 7498 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ammo's getting really hard to find... Big Grin

Posts: 646 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I have a few P220s in 9mm Steyr. I can still find ammo and nobody runs off with my brass.

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
A 1985 Beretta 92F Compact.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
45 ACP AMT Hardballer

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post