SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Manufacture date of P220
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manufacture date of P220 Login/Join 
posted
Hi folks.
I’m new to this forum.
I tried searching the site but didn’t find any specific information that would help me as my P220 doesn’t have any proof marks or date codes.
Apparently it is difficult to post photos here, and I don’t want to upload to a 3rd party site.
On the left side of the slide is “SIG SAUER” and “SIGARMS INC.” over “EXETER-NH”.
On the right side of the slide is “P 220” over “MADE IN GERMANY”.
On the barrel is “.45 Auto.” only.
On the right side of the slide is the serial # only, “G309xxx”.
There are no other markings inside the gun.
The gun came in a fairly large black plastic Sig box with sliding latches.

Posts: 7 | Location: Southern Middle Tennessee | Registered: July 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Judging by this thread,

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/1130042554/p/1

I'd say your P220 is c. 2000-2001.

Are you sure "Made in Germany" and "G309XXX" aren't on the frame? The frame should be serialized.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. The locations were as I described.
There are very few marks on this gun compared to what I see on other guns, and compared to my German made P226.

Posts: 7 | Location: Southern Middle Tennessee | Registered: July 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
PM Hide Post
I read what I wrote the first time... sorry. The serial # is on the frame.
There are very few marks on this gun compared to what I see on other guns, and compared

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
If your pistol was made in Germany, it has proof marks. Look on the slide underneath the guide rod, just forward of the dust cover. Should be two letters. That’s your date code.

Posts: 17151 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The frame, considered a firearm, has to be serialized. Something is screwy here.

Q

Posts: 26418 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Post some pics

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Your P220 was assembled in ~2000 in the US from imported parts. As such, it is void of any proof marks or date code. Serialization will be in a single location on the right side of the receiver. The serial number should be the only mark or stamping on the receiver.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
Your P220 was assembled in ~2000 in the US from imported parts. As such, it is void of any proof marks or date code. Serialization will be in a single location on the right side of the receiver. The serial number should be the only mark or stamping on the receiver.

But the man insisted that the only serial number is on the slide and nowhere else. That's why I said something is screwy here. Pics were asked for, but I don't think they are forthcoming, because "it is difficult to post photos here, and I don’t want to upload to a 3rd party site."

Q

Posts: 26418 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:

But the man insisted that the only serial number is on the slide and nowhere else. That's why I said something is screwy here. Pics were asked for, but I don't think they are forthcoming, because "it is difficult to post photos here, and I don’t want to upload to a 3rd party site."

He stated he was wrong and found the serial number on the frame.

It's embedded in the weird self QUOTE post

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6320 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Ok, never mind. I need to pay more attention.

Q

Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
You have a 220 just like mine. it's a US assembled pistol from a complete German parts kit. Mine is 1998 (G293XXX). This is just about the time Sig started sending parts over here to be assembled into complete pistols. No triple serial numbers because they were not proofed in Germany.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3063 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the contributions folks.
I wouldn't have thought of the option of it being put together here of German made parts, but it does explain the absence of proof marks.
I believe I did buy it around 2000.
It was the first gun I ever bought...I had a few more, before they were lost in a terrible boating accident.

Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Welcome to SIGforum.

You have one of my favorite handguns.

While the P-220 platform is not right for everyone, it works very well for me.

Oh yeah, were are going to need to see some pics. Smile

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
The button you're looking for is to the right of the one you're clicking when you're trying to edit your posts. It looks like manilla folder with a pencil eraser poking at it from the top right corner of the icon. The button you're clicking is the quote button, hence why you keep quoting yourself. You can also delete posts through the edit function. Welcome to Sigforum. Smile

Posts: 17151 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha ha ...thanks.