SIGforum
Do you test fire your CCW pistol after field stripping/cleaning?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/7530042354

February 09, 2019, 12:29 PM
MNSIG
When you've field stripped your pistol for a basic cleaning, do you trust that everything went back together correctly and it will function as intended or confirm with a few rounds before putting it back in service?After a basic cleaning and reassembly, do you test fire the pistol?No. I reload and carry it clean.Yes. I fire a few rounds to ensure function.I don't necessarily clean it after a range session, so it may have zero or a hundreds of rounds of fouling in it when carried.
February 09, 2019, 12:37 PM
Floyd D. Barber
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
When you've field stripped your pistol for a basic cleaning, do you trust that everything went back together correctly and it will function as intended or confirm with a few rounds before putting it back in service?

No rounds, put a pencil in it unloaded to check the firing pin.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

February 09, 2019, 12:43 PM
cslinger
I check all the functions but do not run back out to fire it because then I would have to clean it and then run back out to fire it and then I would have to clean it.......and some kind of paradox would surely occur. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
February 09, 2019, 12:48 PM
Anubismp
What cslinger said. I clean after a bigger range session (more than a box or two) and I will manually check all the safeties and ensure I see the FP protrude after pushing the block on applicable guns.
February 09, 2019, 01:23 PM
quote:
When you've field stripped your pistol for a basic cleaning, do you trust that everything went back together correctly and it will function as intended or confirm with a few rounds before putting it back in service?

See no points in doing it.

Q

February 09, 2019, 01:28 PM
Nipper
I don't test fire after a basic cleaning. See no need to. I always clean, inspect and lube after each range session, regardless of round count. Notice the word "inspect". I actually shoot and carry most of my guns...have never had a function issue after a basic cleaning over a 50 year period.

After a full DETAIL strip, clean, inspect and lube I will always test fire before carrying. While it may not be necessary, it's a procedural thing for me. Once you go into the guts of the gun and reassemble, the odds are higher that something may have been altered.

February 09, 2019, 01:33 PM
esdunbar
No sir I don’t. I clean it, and holster it.
February 09, 2019, 01:41 PM
sigfreund
I have access to a range five minutes from home that I could use most of the time, and another 15 minutes away that I could use literally any time, but I still could not imagine shooting, going home to clean the gun(s), then going to the time and effort to run back to the range to fire off a few more rounds. The armorer courses I’ve attended included manufacturers’ recommended function checks, but not one indicated that live fire testing was required after disassembly and cleaning.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
February 09, 2019, 02:29 PM
Graniteguy
If the gun functioned properly prior to cleaning it - why would it not function properly after cleaning it?
February 09, 2019, 02:31 PM
MNSIG
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
If the gun functioned properly prior to cleaning it - why would it not function properly after cleaning it?

Some crap got washed into the striker channel and slows it down?
February 09, 2019, 02:34 PM
RHINOWSO
Some people here would have to clean it again after the test fire.... Razz
February 09, 2019, 02:38 PM
craigcpa
what is this "cleaning" you speak?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫
February 09, 2019, 02:44 PM
egregore
quote:

No. Not feasible to test fire unless you have your own range at home.
February 09, 2019, 03:01 PM
wxl
After a range session, I usually remove slide, wipe down, lube, run patch thru barrel.
February 09, 2019, 03:03 PM
Strambo
Test fire, no. Function check, yes.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page
February 09, 2019, 04:30 PM
RichardC
I clean and lube them before going to the range.
Just wipe down the outside before holstering and carrying.

February 09, 2019, 04:33 PM
YooperSigs
Function test, load and holster up.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
February 09, 2019, 06:12 PM
jljones
A dirty gun is a happy gun.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

February 09, 2019, 06:12 PM
grumpy1
If I am going to field strip and clean a CCW pistol, I do it shortly before I am going to the range.
February 09, 2019, 06:39 PM
striker1
No. I usually don’t field strip & clean after shooting because I shoot infrequently and rarely more than 30-40 rounds (outdoor private range).

After cleaning, a function check is enough.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.