SIGforum
Do you test fire your CCW pistol after field stripping/cleaning?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/7530042354

February 09, 2019, 12:29 PM
MNSIG
Do you test fire your CCW pistol after field stripping/cleaning?
When you've field stripped your pistol for a basic cleaning, do you trust that everything went back together correctly and it will function as intended or confirm with a few rounds before putting it back in service?After a basic cleaning and reassembly, do you test fire the pistol?No. I reload and carry it clean.Yes. I fire a few rounds to ensure function.I don't necessarily clean it after a range session, so it may have zero or a hundreds of rounds of fouling in it when carried.
February 09, 2019, 12:37 PM
Floyd D. Barber
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
When you've field stripped your pistol for a basic cleaning, do you trust that everything went back together correctly and it will function as intended or confirm with a few rounds before putting it back in service?


No rounds, put a pencil in it unloaded to check the firing pin.


__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

February 09, 2019, 12:43 PM
cslinger
I check all the functions but do not run back out to fire it because then I would have to clean it and then run back out to fire it and then I would have to clean it.......and some kind of paradox would surely occur. Smile


Take Care, Shoot Safe,
Chris
February 09, 2019, 12:48 PM
Anubismp
What cslinger said. I clean after a bigger range session (more than a box or two) and I will manually check all the safeties and ensure I see the FP protrude after pushing the block on applicable guns.
February 09, 2019, 01:23 PM
12131
quote:
When you've field stripped your pistol for a basic cleaning, do you trust that everything went back together correctly and it will function as intended or confirm with a few rounds before putting it back in service?

See no points in doing it.


Q






February 09, 2019, 01:28 PM
Nipper
I don't test fire after a basic cleaning. See no need to. I always clean, inspect and lube after each range session, regardless of round count. Notice the word "inspect". I actually shoot and carry most of my guns...have never had a function issue after a basic cleaning over a 50 year period.

After a full DETAIL strip, clean, inspect and lube I will always test fire before carrying. While it may not be necessary, it's a procedural thing for me. Once you go into the guts of the gun and reassemble, the odds are higher that something may have been altered.


______________________
An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing. --Nicholas Murray Butler
February 09, 2019, 01:33 PM
esdunbar
No sir I don’t. I clean it, and holster it.
February 09, 2019, 01:41 PM
sigfreund
I have access to a range five minutes from home that I could use most of the time, and another 15 minutes away that I could use literally any time, but I still could not imagine shooting, going home to clean the gun(s), then going to the time and effort to run back to the range to fire off a few more rounds. The armorer courses I’ve attended included manufacturers’ recommended function checks, but not one indicated that live fire testing was required after disassembly and cleaning.




“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
February 09, 2019, 02:29 PM
Graniteguy
If the gun functioned properly prior to cleaning it - why would it not function properly after cleaning it?
February 09, 2019, 02:31 PM
MNSIG
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
If the gun functioned properly prior to cleaning it - why would it not function properly after cleaning it?


Some crap got washed into the striker channel and slows it down?
February 09, 2019, 02:34 PM
RHINOWSO
Some people here would have to clean it again after the test fire.... Razz
February 09, 2019, 02:38 PM
craigcpa
what is this "cleaning" you speak?


==========================================
Just my 2¢
____________________________

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫
February 09, 2019, 02:44 PM
egregore
quote:
Do you test fire your CCW pistol after field stripping/cleaning?

No. Not feasible to test fire unless you have your own range at home.





"The Almighty, He put some livin' things on this earth so a man can eat." - Festus Haggen, Gunsmoke
February 09, 2019, 03:01 PM
wxl
After a range session, I usually remove slide, wipe down, lube, run patch thru barrel.
February 09, 2019, 03:03 PM
Strambo
Test fire, no. Function check, yes.




“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page
February 09, 2019, 04:30 PM
RichardC
I clean and lube them before going to the range.
Just wipe down the outside before holstering and carrying.
February 09, 2019, 04:33 PM
YooperSigs
Function test, load and holster up.


End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
February 09, 2019, 06:12 PM
jljones
A dirty gun is a happy gun.


________________
People hate you. Train like it.



February 09, 2019, 06:12 PM
grumpy1
If I am going to field strip and clean a CCW pistol, I do it shortly before I am going to the range.
February 09, 2019, 06:39 PM
striker1
No. I usually don’t field strip & clean after shooting because I shoot infrequently and rarely more than 30-40 rounds (outdoor private range).

After cleaning, a function check is enough.



RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.