SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Cap and ball revolver conversion cylinders for Colt and Remington (includes video)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cap and ball revolver conversion cylinders for Colt and Remington (includes video) Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
For some reason I think these are extremely cool. Maybe it stems from the Remington in Pale Rider or maybe they’re just cool.

2 or three companies make centerfire conversion cylinders/systems for cap and ball revolvers. Per my understanding, The Howell/R&D style (the kind I have) were originally developed by Kenny Howell https://www.howellarms.com/
for use in Hollywood westerns to more easily allow the use of blanks. Kenny began selling them to the public and the rest is history.

the other major player in this market is Kirst.
https://kirstkonverter.com/

the Kirst design has some advantages over the Howell design in that Kirst uses a separate rear plate that can be temporarily or permanently installed in the frame and has the option of an included loading gate so you can load and unload similarly to dedicated centerfire revolvers. You can also get add-on ejection rod systems for an additional fee. The disadvantage of the Kirst is they are quite pricey, may require some gunsmithing for installation of some models, and only allow 5 shots.

The advantage of the Howell design is they easily drop in to cap and ball pistols (the Remington is easiest since you don’t have to remove the barrel to remove the cylinder as in the Colt open top style), and no permanent modifications have to be made to your cap and ball pistol. You can swap back and forth just by changing the cylinders. Plus the Howell style is roughly half the price of the Kirst at about $240-$270 depending on model and finish.

Due to the significant cost of either system, it may not make sense for some people, as the conversion cylinder is often more than the purchase price of the cap and ball revolvers. I got my Piettas for under $200 each during Cabela’s (now defunct) annual sales, so it was a little painful to pay $240ish for each conversion cylinder. But they are super fun, shoot well, and allow you to shoot your cap and ball revolvers without the need to clean them immediately afterward (unless you shoot blackpowder cartridges, which you can do if you want).

Depending on your jurisdiction you may have to purchase your cap and ball revolver via an FFL and the conversion cylinders may or may not be legal. So check your local laws. In most places you can just order the conversion cylinder from somewhere like Taylor’s and Company or the aforementioned websites and you’re off and running.

One advantage of ordering from Taylor’s and Company if you have a Remington NMA is that they licensed Howell’s original 6-shot cylinder design from him. If you order a NMA conversion cylinder from Howell’s old west conversions it will come with 5 chambers.

Anyhoo these things are a lot of fun so check them out if you like. Here’s a video I did going over the basics and includes some shooting of the Remington NMA and Colt .44 “Navy.”

https://youtu.be/YTGtvInymeY

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3203 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
Just make sure the frame isn't brass for the calibers above 22.

The Cabelas annual sale and the ability to use their $ 75 (Was $ 100) for spending $ 500 or more for firearms is also gone.

Frown

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
I think they are cool, too; thanks for this terrific info!

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
In most places you can just order the conversion cylinder

Going back to the 1970s with GCA 1968 fresh in everybody's mind, there was the "Legal Defender" which was a conversion cylinder and backplate to shoot .38 S&W in a 1851 Navy repro.
No federal and few state restrictions on the cap and ball revolver and the cylinder was just a "part." The intent was to let you arm yourself in a repressive jurisdiction, CAS was not yet popular.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nra-life-member:
Just make sure the frame isn't brass for the calibers above 22.

The Cabelas annual sale and the ability to use their $ 75 (Was $ 100) for spending $ 500 or more for firearms is also gone.

Frown

Good point about the brass frames.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
quote:
In most places you can just order the conversion cylinder

Going back to the 1970s with GCA 1968 fresh in everybody's mind, there was the "Legal Defender" which was a conversion cylinder and backplate to shoot .38 S&W in a 1851 Navy repro.
No federal and few state restrictions on the cap and ball revolver and the cylinder was just a "part." The intent was to let you arm yourself in a repressive jurisdiction, CAS was not yet popular.
interesting. Do you remember who marketed it?

posted Hide Post
Nope, large ads in Shotgun News of the period.

I have one that I used some for CAS in the 2000 time frame; bought second hand NIB and put on a Uberti. I had it fully gunsmithed with a loading channel in the frame - no gate, but I never had a round fall out - and eventually the barrel lined .358 because even a hollow base wadcutter would not always obturate the C&B barrel.

I once saw one at a gun show, "antiqued" and fraudulently presented as original.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
Nope, large ads in Shotgun News of the period.

I have one that I used some for CAS in the 2000 time frame; bought second hand NIB and put on a Uberti. I had it fully gunsmithed with a loading channel in the frame - no gate, but I never had a round fall out - and eventually the barrel lined .358 because even a hollow base wadcutter would not always obturate the C&B barrel.

I once saw one at a gun show, "antiqued" and fraudulently presented as original.
sounds like a cool setup. I dig conversions whether original or replica or fantasy.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
the conversion cylinder is often more than the purchase price of the cap and ball revolvers.

Ah, so it's sorta like putting a well-made scope on a rifle.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
the conversion cylinder is often more than the purchase price of the cap and ball revolvers.

Ah, so it's sorta like putting a well-made scope on a rifle.
LOL I guess it’s similar, yes. Kinda like putting a nightforce on a savage axis Big Grin