SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thoughts on the CZ Scorpion EVO S1 pistol?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on the CZ Scorpion EVO S1 pistol? Login/Join 
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Hey Palmetto has the grey one for $799 here.

Not as cheap as the Shoot Straight link I posted above but PSA shipping might be less. And it’s the color you mentioned.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
I SBR’d mine, putting on an original folding stock and vertical grip along with a few other modifications.
Loads of fun to shoot setup as an SBR, not so much as a pistol.
Well worth the tax stamp.

Best accessory was adding ambidextrous Mini AK Safety Selectors.
Link

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Hey Palmetto has the grey one for $799 here.

Not as cheap as the Shoot Straight link I posted above but PSA shipping might be less. And it’s the color you mentioned.

Tempting & I like the gray.
Add in shipping, tax & tfr, might be cheaper to find one locally.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15364 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
tomgun, I love the way you have that Scorpion set up!

I went with PSA and pulled the trigger on a battleship gray Scorpion.

Kimberkid1911,

Thank you for the link!! I will be converting mine over to that safety lever. Cool

I was watching a video on the barrel and I love the retention method for the flash hider as well as its ease of removal. I also really like that it’s also threaded to 1/2x28. Very cool. I was expecting to have to buy an adapter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21121 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Just got the Reptilia Link installed tonight. What a bear. Sights sit too low. Needs a red dot.

Posts: 2017 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking really good. Me like.

-MG

Posts: 2004 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Thanks. Still needs a vertical grip to take advantage of its SBR status.

Posts: 2017 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love the retention method for the flash hider as well as its ease of removal

On the forums I'm on regularly (admittedly suppressor based) there are regular reports of issues with the flash hider and taking some fatal abuse. I went 3 lug so I can't personally speak to it, but I'd make it a habit to check the whole thing on a regular basis. FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11010 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
The thread protector on the 1/2 x 28 can come loose.
Definately check it before you shoot the first time. Mine was very loose and I’d been shooting the damn thing.
I’m running the HB ultra comp now and it eliminates that issue.

https://hbindustries.net/store...pion-evo-ultra-comp/

Posts: 1696 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yup when HBI gets a part online to address an issue, you know its not a rare problem.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11010 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Neat guns, lots of fun. Since you're getting an S1, there are some things I recommend upgrading, and unfortunately, some of these are the gray parts you were after. The grip angle, I have no idea why they did this. It's unnatural and uncomfortable, and it was the first thing I changed. I got the Magpul grip, but I will be getting the Pakse like Vgex has, because with the Magpul, there's a shelf that extends under the trigger guard and prevents me from removing the trigger group for field stripping unless I give the grip a few whacks with a rubber mallet to shift it back (the screw that holds the grip in place rides in a slot, not a hole, so it seems it was designed to be this way) enough to clear it. When done, a few whacks puts it back in place. Is it really a huge deal? No, and shooting it with this grip is comfortable, but I'd prefer not to have to use tools for field stripping. The Pakse has the same angle, without the shelf. I think most of the other aftermarket options retain a similar angle to the factory original, which is also really slick and lacks much purchase.

The handguard, I also quickly replaced. I didn't find it comfortable, and I refused to put rail covers on it, thinking it a ridiculous thing to do when MLOK literally exists. I got a Pakse Sapper handguard for $35 used with the barrel nut tool. I like it a whole lot better than the original.

The trigger is serviceable, but I plan to throw the HBI in mine. Your trigger pack will have a nut holding it in place that's spot welded to a bolt that secures the trigger pack in the lower. Basically all but the earliest ones have this, and it requires drilling or dremeling this nut to get the pack out. Not a major deal, but something to be aware of.

I've read about a lot of people having issues with the factory magazines. I wouldn't know anything about it, because although mine came with a dozen or so of different capacity, I've only ever used the Magpul 35rd mags. They are great so far, I highly recommend grabbing a bunch. I got a ten pack deal on sale from Brownell's right after I got mine for $140 and free shipping. Can't beat it.

Now, there is one major issue with these guns you need to be aware of.

***********************************ANYONE WHO OWNS ONE OF THESE NEEDS TO KNOW THIS.***********************************

CZ was required to omit the safety sear from the design to be allowed to import these because the ATF said it was an auto sear. In the original design, this sear prevents the hammer from falling if the bolt is not fully in battery. It doesn't exist in the US guns, and they can be fired out of battery. There is a firing pin block, but the bolt carrier is made of steel soft enough that with many guns, it eventually peens over from whacking into the hammer, and keeps the firing pin block depressed. It is becoming somewhat common to see pictures and video of Scorpions with the left side of the upper blown out from an OOB discharge.

There are things you can do about this. First is to be aware that this an issue and to keep an eye on yours. It can happen fairly quickly - one guy I saw said his was fine for a long time and then it suddenly started to peen over after one range trip, resulting in the firing pin block sticking. I think it was only a few hundred rounds or so. The only solution that existed until recently was to file a countersink into this area, effectively preventing the material from peening over. It is not a permanent fix, however. There is a company that has brought a new titanium firing pin block to market, and next month are supposed to release an enhanced bolt made of D2 tool steel. I think I will probably eventually get those parts since I'm going to Form 1 this gun and anything I NFA needs to last.

Here are a few videos discussing it.

Among many, many others in this Subreddit, here is a discussion of some of these modifications.

Now, this isn't meant to freak you out, nor anyone else. I don't think you bought a hand grenade. I learned about all this stuff BEFORE I bought mine. It can be a problem if you don't know about it or don't keep an eye on it. IF your gun blows up, CZ won't help you if you've installed a binary trigger. I've seen where they opted not to help people who had a stock trigger, regardless. There are 3D print upper receiver files out there, and one guy on Reddit just went ahead and printed himself a new upper when his KB'ed a few months ago. I'm yet to see any reports of anyone being injured with a boom, and if you keep on top of it and/or do some preventive work, it won't be a problem anyway. But you need to know this.

quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
Just got the Reptilia Link installed tonight. What a bear.

Looks great! I hear it's a bitch to get installed or especially to remove. You'd think it just slides into place, but Reptilia wanted a tight fit so there was no wobble, and supposedly that's exactly the way it is and you have to beat it into place with a mallet. I have a friend hanging onto one for me for when I get my Form 1 back on mine. I can't wait, I think it'll be a pretty handy little setup. I'm also heavily weighing the idea of getting the ball rolling on an IA-SC9. I know a detachable can makes more sense, but I've always been enamored with the idea of an integrally suppressed subgun type thing, and shooting standard velocity ammo at subsonic velocities sounds pretty appealing to me. For what it is, I mean, why not?

I often see people ding this gun on the blowback mechanism and it recoiling more than it should. My first time shooting it, I went to the range with a friend who brought a little 8" AR9 of some flavor, and we A/B'ed them. I didn't find the Scorpion any worse in that department than his gun, and he swears my Scorpion was smoother cycling. It jumps around a bit, but not bad enough that it bothered me, and I stayed on the paper at 50 yards, shooting as fast as I could get the sights on the target. I think the recoil thing is vastly overblown, it's just a 9mm for chrissakes. I'm sure there's better, and yes, you have to put some money into it right off the bat to solve some bizarre design choices, but I think the Scorpion is a pretty decent little pistol/subgun/thing. In the carbine config... I have no idea what role it fills.

Here's mine. The red dot is just a cheap Primary Arms that was on super clearance because something about the standard height mount was out of spec. I use the low mount and tossed the defective one when I got it. Anyways, it's cowitnessed with the irons and this thing shoots well. Trigger definitely needs work. Not pictured is the Strike Industries medium charging handle, a nice improvement. The duckbill mag release is also a Strike and it was totally worth it. Major improvement over the stock release. For about twelve bucks a pop, absolutely worth it.

Posts: 17188 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post