SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Picked up a new (to me) revolver this weekend
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up a new (to me) revolver this weekend Login/Join 
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted
Aside from mangling the rear sight a little (original owner trying to drift it when it was completely unnecessary) it was very clean. I haven't had a wheel gun in a while, and this one seems to be a well-made piece. Shoots well, all the chambers seem very uniform, and the thing looks tough as nails. Pretty impressive little gun.

Kimber K6S Combat 4" in .357 magnum

Posts: 10753 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats, looks like a nice one. I hadn't known that they added a 4" version to the line-up. Cool

I checked these out a ton last year, trying to make up my mind on buying one and ended up finding a couple older S&W instead. Might be time to re-think that.......

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Really would have liked an older K frame in stainless, but they're all just sky-high in my area. And I just can't get down with many of the modern S&W revolvers except maybe the 686 (which is decent, but a crazy chunk of heavy metal)

Posts: 10753 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Looks lovely. I have a soft spot for 4”, 357 mag wheelguns. They cover a lot of bases for many, ideal with new shooters(38 spcl) too.

Some of mine include, 586, Security-Six, Model 65, a 3” Model 60, & likely a few others.

Posts: 6167 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a good looking revolver. Like you said, a 4" 357 is an incredibly versatile weapon.

I have two of the 2" DAO K6s revolvers and really like them.

Please let us know how you like the 4" model.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
She’s a beaut! I’ve read lots of good things about the Kimber revolvers. 4” is the sweet spot.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I like it! I had no idea they made a 4”.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15255 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:

Me too. That is a sharp looking gun. Congrats

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think it is new for 2020. There is a fixed sight model and an adjustable sighted model.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:
quote:

I think it is new for 2020. There is a fixed sight model and an adjustable sighted model.

Correct. The “Target” has adjustable sights and smooth grips. The “Combat” has fixed sights and finger grooves.

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Would it compare in size to a Ruger SP101, disregarding the 3"-4" barrels?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

Yes, I would say it compares very favorably to the SP101, but with a touch more grip. The cylinder is very slim (for having six rounds) and recessed as well. I don’t currently have a Ruger to compare, but I believe the Kimber may also be a shade lighter.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Nice! Much better sights than most revolvers too.

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

Definitely close in size. Not so much in trigger action. There the typical K6S beats the typical SP101 by a commanding margin. When we would show the two side-by-side, the Kimber simply sells itself. Only fans of Ruger or of a more tradition-looking revolver will pick the SP101, and even then they're usually smitten by how well executed the K6S is.

To the OP: congrats on your 'new' K6S. It should be a sweet shooter, especially with 38SPC. Not sure about 357MAG recoil, though; the snub barrels for me weren't the most enjoyable to shoot magnum loads through, and the 4" (we've only had one through the shop so far) didn't seem significantly heavier, not like a 686 or GP100.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure about 357MAG recoil,

It’s actually quite manageable. (At least with the 158 grains I tried). I personally think this is more due to frame geometry and grips than to weight. For example, I find the SP101 3.16” barrel in .357 to be miserable with full magnums, and I would say that model is likely the same weight or even heavier than the K6S.

Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I wish S&W would make more revolvers like this. It's not that I dislike the Kimber, but I've tried the Ruger style cylinder release and I just can't get used to it.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
Looks like a winner. The cylinder looks more compact then Rugers or Smiths.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
That is nice. I have 4" revolvers by S&W, Ruger and Colt, I might have to get one of those.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post