SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What was this cutout in the foam of a P245 case for?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What was this cutout in the foam of a P245 case for? Login/Join 
posted
I bought this new back in early 1999. I don’t recall there being anything in the long cutout just below the handgun. Was it just a generically manufactured piece that might have contained some accessory for another model? Or just for aftermarket accessories like ear pro or ammo?

[IMG] https://flic.kr/p/2pzkbLJ[/IMG]

Posts: 4 | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Your link doesnt work

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9695 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Cable lock?

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Wow, 3rd post in 24 years. Anyway, for this forum we need the BBCode, not the Share code, from flickr.

Here you go. Does look like a cable lock may have gone in that space.

SIG P245 by Gteg Ward, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16368 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Hey OP, after 10 years you get a CUT.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11291 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boomer:
I bought this new back in early 1999. I don’t recall there being anything in the long cutout just below the handgun. Was it just a generically manufactured piece that might have contained some accessory for another model? Or just for aftermarket accessories like ear pro or ammo?

It’s for the factory cleaning kit. This was a blue trapezoidal nylon pouch with the SIGARMS logo on it. It would fit that slot exactly. I couldn't tell you how SIG decided when to include it or not (like if it had to be ordered that way or something). But the presence of that cutout doesn’t necessarily mean your gun came with that cleaning kit (or anything else for that matter) in there. SIG NH had plenty of different foam cutouts for those blue (and earlier black) plastic cases and it was very common for a gun to be shipped from the factory with at least one cutout that was either unused or filled with a different item than what it was originally sized for.

Formerly known as tigerbloodwinning

Posts: 341 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ What he said. Here is what the cleaning kit looks like, this from a NOS factory nickel KG (1996) P225 I sold to a member a couple of years ago. The case, for a 1996 SIG, is of course different from OP's case.

Btw, OP's package already has the trigger lock located at the bottom left of the case.

Q

Posts: 26424 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Q for the win

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, everyone. The cut out being for a cleaning kit makes sense. That definitely did not come with my gun. It just piqued my curiosity as I was taking a look at it while deciding whether to keep the gun or not.

Posts: 4 | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post